US Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

US Foods President & CEO Pietro Satriano
Pietro Satriano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Lack of clear leadership, corporate decision making based on bottom line profits"

Pros

None. Supposedly employee focused.not true. Focused on reducing higher paid experienced staff with cheaper labor with no experience.

Cons

Long hours, no family time, focus on profits. Lack of local leadership due centralized management.

"Former Employee"

Pros

Easy to learn, it is just food as they say.

Cons

Corporate trying to save money through Fit for growth, which meant rounds of layoffs of good, experienced professionals who knew how to keep business running with as little waste as possible. Disconnect and distrust between markets and corporate as a result. Restructuring meant those who clung on at corporate through the failed merger clawed their way up through the chaos into management positions. As a result, a lot of bad managers who don't understand how to do their team's roles, let alone manage people. A lot of management by bullying and fear. A lot of promotion through who you know and kiss up to rather than skill. Many good employees left rather than deal with a dysfunctional culture . Success depends on your manager, how well you brown nose those who have power cliqued themselves into higher roles, and how well you can ignore the bullying of those who do not agree with this culture. Upper management looks the other way because they want to save money, but a house built on a poor foundation will not stand for long. Executive leadership has almost completely turned over in past two years. Daily notices of people leaving. Danger, Will Robinson!

Advice to Management

Happy to give advice, but you wouldn't hear it over the sound of the stock market ticker.

"Pathetic"

I worked at US Foods full-time

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Uneducated management. Less than average intelligence.

"Worst Company I Have Worked for in 25 Years"

Former Employee - Buyer in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Rosemont, IL

I worked at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is that this company pays you during the training period.

Cons

Everyone works past 5pm whether at home or staying late in the office but your manager will superficially he/she doesn't want that. I had the "heaviest desk". When I asked to have work removed because I refused to continue to work until 11pm every night, I was told it would be done. But nothing happened for 5 months until it became apparent I was going to leave. My advise to potential employees is don't act smart. It will only get you the most difficult work and heaviest desk. Buyers are set up to fail and managers act like they care but really don't.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. There is so much turnover that anyone who tolerates the work environment for a year gets promoted even if that person doesn't have managing experience. The awful work environment coupled with bratty managers is disasterous

"Cost/Item Analyst"

Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Rosemont, IL

I worked at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary comparable to industry

Cons

Over demanding, quota driven and a stressful environment. Company care more about numbers than accuracy. Company always advertising for job positions because no one want to be treated like a machine. Huge turnover of employees.

Advice to Management

HORRIBLE COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!!!!!

"Don’t do it."

Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Chicago, IL

I worked at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro was the benefits. Nice 401k options to choose from. Normal match I believe 5%. Good health options. HSA.

Cons

While HR is trying to change the culture, the culture is very fear induced. Management treats high level employees as scapegoats and they give you non busy tasks to work on. Management has way too many bosses each with their own agenda which causes a lot of confusion. And their agenda doesn’t have anything to do with the bonus, it’s about them making themselves look good to keep their job and you are their pawn. No communication in the work place and everything is kept a secret. I have heard bosses actually scream and yell at each other. This company has placed people with no management experience in management roles. This is the one time that I wished that I listened to Glassdoor. Please make sure when accepting an offer here, your gut doesn’t feel off and if it is listen to it. I feel that the past couple reviews was HR trying to increase the score.

You will be overworked and bosses expect you to stay. My boss told me that I shouldn’t leave at 5pm because it was “unacceptable”.

When walking in the elevator every morning, people look miserable. And saying good morning and being friendly, do not expect a nice response or even one at all.

HR will try to draw you in with the new open floor plan changes going on but walking around the floor, during work hours, there is no one there and the people who are there look unhappy and uncomfortable. The regular cube floors have very high walls and are placed into pods, which makes it to be a not friendly environment, and due to the high walls of the cubes the floors are very dark.

Advice to Management

Bring in people with actual management experience who care about their employees and want to make them grow and succeed.

You need a reorganization because everyone is a boss and has a boss title. Not enough workers to do actual work.

"Not a good place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool to work in food industry. Pay is good for professional level positions. That's the only positive that I can say.

Cons

The company doesn't care about their employees. Highly unethical company . Leadership sides with leadership. Unstable company that has gone through a lot of restructuring.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad seeds.

"US Foods review for Sales"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Topeka, KS

I have been working at US Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

pay and benefits were good

Cons

Great Plains management is incompetent and they micro manage a person to death. No support for people in field and responses to issues never done in timely manner.

Advice to Management

K.I.S.S.-Keep it simple stupid. Should be about the customer not middle/upper management centric.

9. "Delivery Driver"

I have been working at US Foods full-time

Pros

Good low cost health benefits

Cons

Long hours. Favoritism when dispatchers assign routes. Too long waiting for warehouse to load your truck

Advice to Management

Focus on the root causes to your service failures. Treat the disease not the symptoms.

"Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Rosemont, IL

I worked at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can honestly say there wasn't a single pro to working at this company. Having had extremely successful jobs at multiple Fortune 50 companies, this was hands down the worst accounting job I've ever had. If you value your career, having a great working environment and culture, and having work-life balance, DO NOT WORK HERE. Don't let anyone convince you that only disgruntled employees are complaining here, this is the first time I said to myself 'Hey I should've listened to Glassdoor.' Don't make the same mistake I did!

Cons

Absolutely zero transparency in the interview process. Lied about the job responsibilities and definitely lied about the working hours expectations. From a job responsibility perspective, the work that is done here is more clerical than substantive and the clerical work that needs to be done is done with no reasonable deadlines, it's stressful busy work that adds 0 value and 0 fulfillment. When concerns were brought up to Senior Management regarding "I feel like I work more hours while contributing less and doing way more busy work," the response I got from management was "Everyone has to start somewhere." When I quit, they were more concerned with asking back for a signing bonus than to schedule an exit interview (never scheduled) to see why MULTIPLE brand new hires were leaving in a matter of months.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and don't lie about working hours and job responsibilities in the interview process. Also care more about scheduling exit interviews to figure out why so many people are leaving than about asking back for a signing bonus that never had stipulations in the offer. People who could manage 6+ years at companies much larger and respected than USF (and then continue to succeed post USF) shouldn't be leaving in a handful of months.

Showing 149 of 1,019 reviews