US Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
US Foods President & CEO Pietro Satriano
Pietro Satriano

Pros
  • Great company good benefits scaring people good pay (in 73 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, great people to work with for the most part (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Short month end close with long hours (even so management gives early fri dismissal on occasion which very thoughtful) (in 50 reviews)

• Long hours and no work life balance (in 19 reviews)

1. "Customer Service REP"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

- No room for advancement
    - Training is short and majority is just shadowing
    - Management will write you up for everything and if you try and buck it they will terminate your employment.
    - Management is very petty, not professional and if they do not like you on a personal level you will not last long there
    - HR allows bullying and harassment, many many claims have been filed but nothing done. It is not a "non- retaliation" kind of thing, meaning if you say something the will know who said it and the upper management will treat you unfairly for doing so.
    - Very understaffed because they fire on a daily
    - Outlook does not look bright, do not bother.

Advice to Management

Learn to be professional. You are paid to be a leader and should make employees feel good about their job, not sending them home in tears almost everyday. If you hire, train and keep people then the company wouldn't be going down the drain so rapidly.

2. "Rediculous"

Former Employee - Night Supervisor in Bridgeport, NJ
    Former Employee - Night Supervisor in Bridgeport, NJ

I worked at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work force responds very well to actual leadership. The issues between management and the union may be secluded to the Swedesboro and Bridgeport NJ facilities only.

Cons

Management is a ridiculous group of former ware-housemen who were put into place without any actual leaders or professionals in place to properly develop them. It is a hiding place for non leaders to hide behind position authority.

Advice to Management

Stay there forever.., you will not be able to be as incompetent in a legitimate environment.

3. "Stay away! Seriously! Don't make the same mistake I did! Believe me, I'm doing you a favor!!! You're welcome."

Former Employee - Marketing in Perth Amboy, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Perth Amboy, NJ

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are pretty cool. There are no other pros. It's all negativity, all day every day. And then management wonders why morale is so low. Really?!?!? Lol! You have to laugh to keep yourself from crying.

Cons

Corporate torture chamber.Managers are so nasty & stupid & spineless it's incomprehensible how they got as far as they did. HR is utterly useless - those are the positions that should be eliminated! Upper management sets the negative tone and then the sheep practically trip over themselves trying to accomplish whatever idiotic thing they already had 6 meetings about. And then it's "here come the spreadsheets!" Health benefits are the worst. Whatever you do, don't get sick,if that's even possible, working here. I warned you! This company will suck the very soul right out of you.

Advice to Management

Pack up your desks, losers. Here comes Sysco. Again.

5. "Please think before you apply!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Port Orange, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Port Orange, FL

I have been working at US Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and Pay are very good.

Cons

Managers are a joke. You cant even ask them a question because the are unaware what is going on in the department or what kind of work is being done. You can walk past their office and see them sleeping. How can i feel like i can progress in a company when they cant even take their jobs seriously. You can tell a lot of people are not found to other races as well. It's very uncomfortable working in an environment knowing people look at you differently. Wouldn't recommend this job to my worse enemy.

Advice to Management

Learn what your employees do and don't treat them like they are a number. Make them feel proud to say, i work at US Food.

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - District Manager in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - District Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at US Foods (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Fellow Employees. Some good products.

Cons

Inconsistent quality, poor rotation, upper management constantly changing, no work-life balance.

Advice to Management

None..they don't listen

7. "Workforce"

Former Employee - National Account Sales Coordinator in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - National Account Sales Coordinator in Aurora, CO

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great experience, good benefits and fun coworkers!

Cons

Overheads and complexity, frequent job cuts. Possible long hours .

Advice to Management

Motivate the employees

"From bad to worse......"

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at US Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You own your work.

Cons

The management in place is terrible! My manager I report to is stellar and I am very grateful for this. In other departments however the management is awful. The managers provide no training and support for their employees. The workers are left scrambling to mop up messes they don't even know how to clean up because management has not trained them. The managers take no ownership. A huge burning customer issue is left for a customer service rep to clean up while the manager plays on their cell phone taking personal calls. On top of this-these managers put down, tear down and demean their employees. I used to get very upset and mad when I saw all of this, now I just get sad. When you try and bring up these valid concerns, you are told "If you don't like it here you know where the door is" In other words-this division thinks it is OK to tolerate these types of managers.

Advice to Management

Please dismiss the managers tearing our division apart. You know who they are. We have some very great managers however are undermined by the ones tearing people down and apart. We will never turn this ship around unless you get rid of the evil.

"Procurement"

Former Employee - Procurement in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Procurement in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers within my own department

Cons

Lack of team work between departments. A egotistical President at the division that plays extreme favoritism. If you are female and not Mormon you are treated differently.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders that are respectful, value diversity and get rid of the good ole boy mentality.

10. "MONEY IS GOOD"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Garland, TX

Pros

money is good. benefits too

Cons

Management is the pits!!!! make your job harder. lazy. untrustworthy. and above all clueless

Advice to Management

get rid of all of them and start new

"Toxic environment! Think twice."

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Plymouth, MN

I worked at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Union benefits once you pass a 90 day probationary period, if they don't extend it on you. Plenty of mandatory overtime.

Cons

This is one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever been employed at. Things are constantly changing, therefore, no one knows the answers to anything so they make things up as they go. Supervisors don't care about you, you're simply a number and they basically own you. The job would not be difficult, however, management and staffing issues (due to all of the uncertainty) make this job extremely stressful and not worth the time. Currently, drivers are working 12-14 hours per day, 6 days per week. There is absolutely no work/life balance. I can count on one hand how many times the trucks are loaded on time ( 2-3 hours of sitting and waiting ) since I started, but you're still expected to complete your route even though you have much less time to complete it in. They will force you to layover on local routes because of this ( I've laid over as close as 15 miles from the warehouse due to running out of hours ). If you value your family and have any sort of social life, look elsewhere. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Fix the issues mentioned above! Work as a TEAM to SUPPORT your drivers rather than having the mentality of "it is what it is". You desperately need to improve morale if you have any intention on keeping new employees around.