US Forest Service Reviews
66% would recommend to a friend
(855 total reviews)
63% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people and fun to meet the people camping and enjoying the national forest and national parks." (in 82 reviews)
- "Good benefits and fulfilling job" (in 59 reviews)
- "Good work/life balance" (in 18 reviews)
- "Great opportunities for learning the skills of wildland firefighting and all aspects." (in 17 reviews)
- "coworkers are great" (in 14 reviews)
- "Low pay and you only become a firefighter when you die" (in 80 reviews)
- "Long hours and travel requirements" (in 29 reviews)
- "Hostile Work Environment: The agency is extremely cliquey; it pays poorly and employees are under chronic stress due to ongoing poor management and budget turmoil." (in 24 reviews)
- "Poor leadership." (in 17 reviews)
- "Start out at low salary, desk work gets kind of boring" (in 10 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of US Forest Service and is not affected by filters.
Found 855 of over 1K reviews
Updated Nov 28, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Nov 26, 2023Biological Science TechnicianFormer Employee, less than 1 yearSparks, NV
I could not recommend working with the U.S. Forest Service in Sparks, NV enough! The atmosphere is laid-back, supportive and inclusive. My supervisors encouraged us to work with other departments to learn new skills, and it was an incredibly fulfilling experience. My position was field-based, and we went to many beautiful places in remote Nevada.
Sometimes there were long hours in the car, and because it was field based, there were some hazards of the job. However, I never felt like my concerns were ignored and everyone's safety was of upmost importance.
- 5.0Oct 25, 2023Archaeological TechnicianCurrent Employee
Work in awesome places with down-to-earth people Working outdoors Easy to get time off if you need it
Can be strenuous, depending upon the environment Fire season gets stressful Pay isn't as much as what you might make working in the private sector
- 5.0Sep 6, 2023Archeology TechnicianCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearRandle, WA
Fairly flexible schedule! A lot of fun people!
The flexibility of the schedule can be a downside if sickness or unforeseen circumstances arise
- 5.0Aug 18, 2023Customer Service RepresentativeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearCave Creek, AZ
Culture, teamwork, supervisors are supportive of learning opportunities.
Distance from Phoenix, expensive living area
- 5.0Jul 20, 2023Wildlife Biologist TechnicianCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearCorvallis, OR
Flexible hours, good people, beautiful area.
Nothing bad to say about the position
- 5.0Jul 17, 2023Administrative Support AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsChicago, IL
Good job, great mission, great PTO
Too much downtime, cliquish, you’ll go far if you’re in with your LT, sink or swim almost noone will help you! You’ll get a different answer on the same question depending who you ask… nobody knows 🤷♀️
- 5.0Jul 10, 2023Forestry TechnicianFormer Employee, less than 1 yearButte, MT
The Rec Tech manager at the time and I have heard currently is excellent. Butte oversees an enormous district and the manager is knowledgeable and personable with a sense of humor.
Federal job payment scales can be difficult to overcome with the cost of living today.
US Forest Service Reviews FAQs
US Forest Service has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 1,084 reviews left anonymously by employees. 66% of employees would recommend working at US Forest Service to a friend and 55% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.
66% of US Forest Service employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated US Forest Service 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.