Found 855 of over 1K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people and fun to meet the people camping and enjoying the national forest and national parks." (in 82 reviews)
- "Good benefits and fulfilling job" (in 59 reviews)
- "Good work/life balance" (in 18 reviews)
- "Great opportunities for learning the skills of wildland firefighting and all aspects." (in 17 reviews)
- "coworkers are great" (in 14 reviews)
- "Low pay and you only become a firefighter when you die" (in 80 reviews)
- "Long hours and travel requirements" (in 29 reviews)
- "Hostile Work Environment: The agency is extremely cliquey; it pays poorly and employees are under chronic stress due to ongoing poor management and budget turmoil." (in 24 reviews)
- "Poor leadership." (in 17 reviews)
- "Start out at low salary, desk work gets kind of boring" (in 10 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of US Forest Service and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0Nov 26, 2023Biological Science TechnicianFormer Employee, less than 1 yearSparks, NV
I could not recommend working with the U.S. Forest Service in Sparks, NV enough! The atmosphere is laid-back, supportive and inclusive. My supervisors encouraged us to work with other departments to learn new skills, and it was an incredibly fulfilling experience. My position was field-based, and we went to many beautiful places in remote Nevada.
Sometimes there were long hours in the car, and because it was field based, there were some hazards of the job. However, I never felt like my concerns were ignored and everyone's safety was of upmost importance.
- 2.0Nov 20, 2023Project EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsEugene, OR
Flex schedule, good work / life balance
Low pay, not an engineering organization and it shows. Engineering consult gets overridden constantly for political gain,
- 3.0Nov 18, 2023Forestry TechnicianFormer Employee, less than 1 yearAlbuquerque, NM
Great people (depending on the office). Pride in the agency. Opportunities for excitement and professional growth. Good benefits for employees who qualify.
Lousy people (depending on the office). Pay is very poor for seasonal positions. Hard to get in with the agency.
- 4.0Nov 16, 2023Hotshot Wildland FirefighterCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsKlamath Falls, OR
To enjoy the environment and the wisdom it has to offer.
Difficult environment and long hours
- 1.0Nov 16, 2023GIS SpecialistCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
Cool, smart people 3 hours wellness Telework flexibility Fire work
Work is very boring, I don't have anything to do. People think the government is wasting the taxpayer dollar, well I am living proof. Poor mentorship for young professionals and they hire people without knowing what to do with them. Do not recommend. Just wish I had some work to do and opportunities to learn new things related to my job.
- 3.0Nov 14, 2023Forestry Technician (Firefighter)Current Employee, less than 1 yearWaldport, OR
The experience alone is worth it to me. I love the ability to work outdoors and I love that I'm able to see new sights every day. On top of all that, I'm able to keep learning and I get paid for all training courses that I do. I'm able to ride in UTV's, use Drip Torches, climb mountains, and drive cross country to assist other forests with Firefighting. I may not get much pay yet but I love this job.
The pay sucks. You get paid the very bottom unless you have some sort of diploma or service history that would grant you the ability to start at a higher grade. And the length in between pay raises gets wider and wider every increase. You also devote a lot of time to this job. It is known to destroy relationships and families from lack of work-life balance. If you want time with family and loved ones then this isn't necessarily the job for you.
- 3.0Nov 13, 2023Hydrologic TechnicianFormer Employee, less than 1 yearWillows, CA
get to help with meaningful work that benefits the environment
reactive rather than proactive, low pay, lots of driving
US Forest Service Reviews FAQs
US Forest Service has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 1,084 reviews left anonymously by employees. 66% of employees would recommend working at US Forest Service to a friend and 55% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.
66% of US Forest Service employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated US Forest Service 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.