What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Low pay and you only become a firefighter when you die" (in 71 reviews)
- "Long hours and travel requirements" (in 26 reviews)
- "Hostile Work Environment: The agency is extremely cliquey; it pays poorly and employees are under chronic stress due to ongoing poor management and budget turmoil." (in 23 reviews)
- "Poor leadership." (in 17 reviews)
- "Upper management is crippled by political influences and those hired to make decisions are incapable of thinking like a business person." (in 9 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of US Forest Service and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 154 of over 1K reviews
Updated Sep 25, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "low pay"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Nov 6, 2015Forestry Technician (Fuels)Current Employee, less than 1 yearChallis, ID
I love working with the US Forest Service as I get to work outside everyday and I feel like I'm making a difference in our national forests.
Pay is very low and jobs are very competitive. There is also a lot of red tape at times which can make things difficult to get done.
- 5.0May 19, 2015Wildland Firefighter; Module LeaderFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsHouston, TX
You get to travel to different states when assigned to fires and you also get to see great views. You also get to meet great people.
The pay isnt great and you only get to do the job for about 6 to 8 months depending on how the season goes