US Green Building Council Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Mahesh Ramanujam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Interesting work for a great mission (in 3 reviews)

• This is a mission driven organization (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Still operates like a small non-profit in some ways (in 4 reviews)

• Departments differ greatly in the support that they offer staff to maintain work/life balance; some are great at it, and some are not (in 2 reviews)

"Great people, not great management"

I have been working at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

Your coworkers are great here. The mid-level employees are talented, smart, and driven.
    Benefits are phenomenal.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement. From the top down there seems to be extreme politics, which trickles all the way down and results in mid-level not being able to advance or grow.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees. People pick up on trying to keep secrets, and they then feel less invested in the mission and organization. Culture rapidly shifting to a direction that people don't enjoy working in.

2. "Special Place has Lost its Way"

I worked at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

- Excellent benefits and flexibility
    - Many smart, compassionate colleagues
    - Opportunities to learn/try new things

Cons

- Losing its mission-driven, volunteer-run nonprofit focus (despite outwardly attempting to portray otherwise)
    - Poor company culture marked by lack of transparency, mistrust/fear, stagnation and lack of advancement opportunities
    - Current CEO, Mahesh, has big exciting ideas, but seems not to realize that people need to feel psychologically safe, empowered, and autonomous in order to perform
    - Reputation among stakeholders has eroded over the years as people deal with the arrogance and manipulation of the organization's leadership

Advice to Management

- CEO should allow others to make decisions (yep, actually have to write that)
    - HR should pay attention to culture, particularly considering how to retain passionate young talent
    - It's unacceptable not to have explicit performance review, raise and promotion processes.
    - A nonprofit Board of Directors and other volunteers can be so much more than rubber stamps that need to be managed

3. "Reviewing a company while still working there is risky"

I have been working at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

Many of the people who work here will likely share your values--if you apply to work here based on its mission.

Cons

When I don't work here anymore, I will fill in this blank.

4. "Great place to work"

I worked at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

I worked here under Rick Fedrizzi. They really take care of their employees and the building is incredible. This was one of my favorite jobs because everyone believes in the mission and the organization is doing some amazing work.

Cons

Typical non-profit issues - slow moving bureaucracy and people who stay in their positions too long.

5. "Associate"

I worked at US Green Building Council part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture and mission, located in D.C. - great city

Cons

Can't think of any at this point

"USGBC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Green Building Council (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission. CEO is strong leader and visionary. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Little feedback. Very weak internal systems for accounting, LEED online, HR. No annual cost of living or salary increase till move into higher position. Open positions take too long to fill, so coworkers suffer.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and pay employees better to retain top performers.

"Motivated and smart staff"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Green Building Council full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great and smart people, awesome benefits, and meaningful work that actually makes an impact in the world. I love working here.

Cons

Departments differ greatly in the support that they offer staff to maintain work/life balance; some are great at it, and some are not. Communication and management skills are spotty as well, so the experience that staff have at the organization can be all over the map.

Advice to Management

Set clearer expectations and be more open about the pathway for advancement. Communicate consistently and regularly with all staff; we're getting better at this one, but still needs work.

8. "Good place to network"

I worked at US Green Building Council (Less than a year)

Pros

Lora Shrake is an excellent person to work with

Cons

Not many responsibilities and talent progress on the job.

"Fellow"

I worked at US Green Building Council full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization's mission is one that aligned with my personal and professional beliefs which made my time with USGBC more fulfilling. The leadership within my team had high expectations for their staff but along with the expectations was a strong commitment to work as a team. My manager was excellent. As a remote employee she created a structured line of communication in order for us to stay in touch and to be aware of what we were working on. It is a very professional and welcoming office. The organization strongly believes in and supports ongoing education for their employees. The benefits are amazing and the office is filled with natural daylight, modified work stations (standing or seated), and non-toxic materials. It was exciting to work for an organization always striving to improve process, employee skills, while remaining focused on their mission.

Cons

Communication across departments and vertically through the organization isn't always strong. Again as a remote employee, I was only privy to some of these communication breakdowns when it involved departments outside of my team; my supervisor and my team were amazing at communication, planning, and execution.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to advance within the company. It may help retain valuable employees if they can grow within the organization.

10. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at US Green Building Council (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, medium-level working loads, good events after work, good and easy connection among different department.

Cons

Haven't been found so far.

Advice to Management

A good company to work.