US Green Building Council Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
S. Richard Fedrizzi

Pros
Cons
  • Still operates like a small non-profit in some ways (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of transparency from upper management, stagnant wages, few chances for upward mobility, job gets tedious (in 4 reviews)

1. "Associate"

I worked at US Green Building Council part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture and mission, located in D.C. - great city

Cons

Can't think of any at this point

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

I worked here under Rick Fedrizzi. They really take care of their employees and the building is incredible. This was one of my favorite jobs because everyone believes in the mission and the organization is doing some amazing work.

Cons

Typical non-profit issues - slow moving bureaucracy and people who stay in their positions too long.

3. "USGBC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Green Building Council (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission. CEO is strong leader and visionary. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Little feedback. Very weak internal systems for accounting, LEED online, HR. No annual cost of living or salary increase till move into higher position. Open positions take too long to fill, so coworkers suffer.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and pay employees better to retain top performers.

5. "Motivated and smart staff"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Green Building Council full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great and smart people, awesome benefits, and meaningful work that actually makes an impact in the world. I love working here.

Cons

Departments differ greatly in the support that they offer staff to maintain work/life balance; some are great at it, and some are not. Communication and management skills are spotty as well, so the experience that staff have at the organization can be all over the map.

Advice to Management

Set clearer expectations and be more open about the pathway for advancement. Communicate consistently and regularly with all staff; we're getting better at this one, but still needs work.

6. "Fellow"

I worked at US Green Building Council full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization's mission is one that aligned with my personal and professional beliefs which made my time with USGBC more fulfilling. The leadership within my team had high expectations for their staff but along with the expectations was a strong commitment to work as a team. My manager was excellent. As a remote employee she created a structured line of communication in order for us to stay in touch and to be aware of what we were working on. It is a very professional and welcoming office. The organization strongly believes in and supports ongoing education for their employees. The benefits are amazing and the office is filled with natural daylight, modified work stations (standing or seated), and non-toxic materials. It was exciting to work for an organization always striving to improve process, employee skills, while remaining focused on their mission.

Cons

Communication across departments and vertically through the organization isn't always strong. Again as a remote employee, I was only privy to some of these communication breakdowns when it involved departments outside of my team; my supervisor and my team were amazing at communication, planning, and execution.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to advance within the company. It may help retain valuable employees if they can grow within the organization.

7. "Good place to network"

I worked at US Green Building Council (Less than a year)

Pros

Lora Shrake is an excellent person to work with

Cons

Not many responsibilities and talent progress on the job.

8. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at US Green Building Council (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, medium-level working loads, good events after work, good and easy connection among different department.

Cons

Haven't been found so far.

Advice to Management

A good company to work.

9. "All for the Mission"

I have been working at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

This is a mission driven organization.

Cons

Still operates like a small non-profit in some ways.

10. "Great coworkers with shared mission"

I worked at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

Good hearted group of people to work with whom are mission driven. Incredible benefits.

Cons

Lacking necessary support staff in many departments. A lot of miscommunication between departments.

"Be Careful & Skeptical"

I worked at US Green Building Council full-time

Pros

I departed USGBC some years ago after serving years as a senior manager/executive. My summary: prospective investors and senior managers, be skeptical. Junior- and mid-level staff, be open to working there in the short-term, but skeptical of staying for the long-term.

On the positive side, the strengths of USGBC are in its mission and its junior- and mid-level staff. The mission is compelling, focusing on improving our natural environment (and thus the human experience), so USGBC tends to attract strong people. If you seek such mission-oriented work you could be a good fit, at least initially. The vast majority of staff are hard-working, well-meaning, and eager to please. It was a joy for me to work with them, and to supervise some of them.

Cons

Now for my critiques. First comes the (internally) well-known dysfunction in the executive suite. Duplicity rules the day, the exact opposite of providing a genuinely supportive and trusting atmosphere. I personally witnessed a consistent pattern of exec dysfunction during my tenure, and it’s not just my opinion: trusted confidants at my level reported further instances. What the execs forget is this: 1) people seek trust, and 2) people talk, especially when they don’t witness and receive the trust they seek.

It doesn’t have to be this way. As proven in “Good to Great” by Jim Collins, when company execs lead with the goal of putting the organization first, with mindful, genuine communication to the staff, a healthy culture permeates from the top down. Employees feel part of a greater, well-run whole. Organizational excellence leads to higher profits and lasting market dominance.

Bottom line: think seriously about what you want from your engagement with USGBC, and how dependent your goals are on the behavior of the execs. Most of them will not have your back.

Advice to Management

None. I gave them much advice during my tenure. The strong execs listened, and acted on it when they agreed; the weak ones dismissed me while pretending to take me seriously. My peers at the time told me they had a similar experience. This culture starts at the top: Fedrizzi is a classic politician, unworthy of your trust.