US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Luke McCormack

1. "ICE"

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

the mission support staff are uninformed at times

"5 Sars"

Former Employee - Intelligence in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intelligence in Washington, DC

Pros

Camaraderie, hours, equipment, professionalism, commitment.

Cons

Young, too many "new" programs. Keep it simple.

Advice to Management

Stop changing your name.

3. "Was ok to work for them."

Former Employee - Locator in Carbondale, IL
    Former Employee - Locator in Carbondale, IL

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work. Steady income. Company vehicle you got to take home.

Cons

They worked us 60-70 hours a week. Great if you don't have a family. Lower than most in the industry probably because of the amount of overtime you had to work.

5. "Okay, But Too Much Bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Special Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Special Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Federal government work in investigations is rigorous, demanding and challenging. The pay is good and pensions are phenomenal. "Toys"--machine guns, high performance vehicles and authority is intoxicating.

Cons

Physically and mentally taxing. Most burn out after 15 years. It's not your average job, as you risk your life almost every day.

Advice to Management

Increase pay. Provide larger pensions.

6. "Eh... life in Office of Financial Management at ICE HQ"

Current Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC

Pros

The people I work with are mostly nice, on the Federal side. You WILL be working OT

Cons

You WILL be working OT... and possibly LOTS of it. No leave during year End close process in October. High turnover rate. About 80% of the HQ staff is made up of contractors. High turnover means there's not a lot of institutional knowledge. The teams are not always well integrated because new employees on one team have no idea how things work on the others. It's becoming obvious that the team I work on had been given free reign and little oversight in past years because what mgmt. and team leads from other branches had no idea of how things worked in our area. People just get worn down. I told myself a couple months I wasn't going to let this place run me into the ground anymore. And that was BEFORE the manager supervising my team decided to get me another person's ENTIRE workload because that person took a different job. So now I'm doing the job of 2.5 people. ALSO, they never tell you when higher paying positions come open. In my previous job, leadership always let us know about different job opportunities. There have been several GS14 positions that came open in OFM, and not a peep is ever said to let employees know about those opportunities. Which means the only way current employees would know about the openings is if they were already looking for a different job. My boss told me repeatedly that she thought I was good enough to do her job. I told her I didn't want her job, and that was when I thought she was a GS15 (I'm a 13). Later I found out all of the branch mgrs. are only 14s, which is ridiculous for all the crap they take. I'm a midlevel 13, so a 14-1 makes like $2K more than me. No way I'd want all that stress for an additional $2K, That place is already affecting my health. For the last several months since I have been working there, I have been having migraines. If you're MARRIED, you'd better have an understanding spouse that doesn't mind you getting home late and doesn't mind that you are going to have to slack in your household duties due to the crazy hours you are going to work during month end and year end closes.

Advice to Management

Honestly you rarely see most of the senior leadership, even though they work in the same section of the floor. How about trying to see things from the perspective of the people you are supposed to be leading. The decisions that are made clearly disregard the impact on the actual employees that do the work. People just keep piling more and more work on, with crazy deadlines, and then look at you like there clearly must be something wrong with you if you aren't getting it done. You have no idea of how to motive/inspire people to WANT to be led by you and make sacrifices for you.

7. "Admin Position"

Former Employee - Administrative Position in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Position in Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amount of leave you can accrue, alternative wok schedule and salary is really compared to the rest of the industry in comparison.

Cons

Poor management, careless supervisors, favoritism and really political atmosphere. Only the favorites are promoted

Advice to Management

Learn to care about people. Listen when issues are brought to your attention. Get to know your employees, not just the managers.

8. "Group Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Washington, DC

Pros

Exciting work, job autonomy, benefits

Cons

DHS management changes priorities frequently

9. "Lieutenant"

Former Employee - Lieutenant in Port Clinton, PA
    Former Employee - Lieutenant in Port Clinton, PA

Pros

The money is good and the hours are great

Cons

To much turn over in staff

Advice to Management

none

10. "Homeland Security Intellignece, ICE"

Former Employee - Assistant Deputy Director in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Deputy Director in El Paso, TX

Pros

A wide variety of assignments available nationwide and some overseas. Diverse missions with opportunities for challenging assignments.

Cons

Cronyism prevails, the good old boys system gets promotions instead of qualifications and abilities. There are very few true professional Intelligence Officers and Analysts, most have been promoted from clerical or other fields with little to none Intelligence training or experience. At the time, I was the only career Intelligence Officer in HSI, non of the management were professional Intelligence Officers. Intelligence reports were merely history reports or regurgitation of open source news paper reporting, with little to no value at all.

Advice to Management

Only hire Intelligence Analysts and Officers with real world experience with several tours of experience and training in the Intelligence disciplines. Fire all the dead weight. 10% did 90% of the work. No actionable intelligence was every produced to my knowledge.

11. "Management"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of management has an extensive law enforcement background.

Cons

Very, very poor people and leadership skills. Management also has difficulty in translating law enforcement skills into people skills.

Advice to Management

Better engagement with employees would surely provide an opportunity to discover what matters to employees.