US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Luke McCormack

Pros
  • Competent colleges, benefits, stability, flexible-ish work schedule, job security, dependable raises, pretty much the standard federal job benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Great work-life balance and solid benefits (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • For the last 28 years I worked 24/7 and I am looking for days if possible Its ben hard on family life (in 2 reviews)

"ICE = Promising"

Current Employee - Special Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Special Agent in Seattle, WA

Pros

The level of freedom, the variety of investigations, the opportunity to shape a new agency.

Cons

Agency has budget issues, things are still being finalized due to the agency being so new.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote the best people who can lead the agency towards becoming the finest law enforcement agency in the country.

2. "Management Program Analyst"

Current Employee - Program Management Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Management Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working in my small team where we manage residential detention facilities for immigrant juveniles, families, and adult females. We ensure that standards are maintained, manage contract personnel that conduct compliance inspections of those facilities. As the contract officer representative (COR), I manage contract budgets, and interact with contractors regarding deliverable schedules, employee costing and billable hours. I prepare project status reports, suggest innovative solutions to better manage agency and client expectations. I develop very close relationships with all of my clients, and am involved in pro active solutions in case a problem arises so that it can be addressed before problems arise.

Cons

My agency does not have any promotion opportunities for me. Where I am in my career is as far as I can professionally.

Advice to Management

Become more workforce engaged so that innovative help employees to feel valued. Eliminate nepotism, and equitably advertise opportunities for promotion, professional growth, and recognition.

3. "Eh... life in Office of Financial Management at ICE HQ"

Current Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC

Pros

The people I work with are mostly nice, on the Federal side. You WILL be working OT

Cons

You WILL be working OT... and possibly LOTS of it. No leave during year End close process in October. High turnover rate. About 80% of the HQ staff is made up of contractors. High turnover means there's not a lot of institutional knowledge. The teams are not always well integrated because new employees on one team have no idea how things work on the others. It's becoming obvious that the team I work on had been given free reign and little oversight in past years because what mgmt. and team leads from other branches had no idea of how things worked in our area. People just get worn down. I told myself a couple months I wasn't going to let this place run me into the ground anymore. And that was BEFORE the manager supervising my team decided to get me another person's ENTIRE workload because that person took a different job. So now I'm doing the job of 2.5 people. ALSO, they never tell you when higher paying positions come open. In my previous job, leadership always let us know about different job opportunities. There have been several GS14 positions that came open in OFM, and not a peep is ever said to let employees know about those opportunities. Which means the only way current employees would know about the openings is if they were already looking for a different job. My boss told me repeatedly that she thought I was good enough to do her job. I told her I didn't want her job, and that was when I thought she was a GS15 (I'm a 13). Later I found out all of the branch mgrs. are only 14s, which is ridiculous for all the crap they take. I'm a midlevel 13, so a 14-1 makes like $2K more than me. No way I'd want all that stress for an additional $2K, That place is already affecting my health. For the last several months since I have been working there, I have been having migraines. If you're MARRIED, you'd better have an understanding spouse that doesn't mind you getting home late and doesn't mind that you are going to have to slack in your household duties due to the crazy hours you are going to work during month end and year end closes.

Advice to Management

Honestly you rarely see most of the senior leadership, even though they work in the same section of the floor. How about trying to see things from the perspective of the people you are supposed to be leading. The decisions that are made clearly disregard the impact on the actual employees that do the work. People just keep piling more and more work on, with crazy deadlines, and then look at you like there clearly must be something wrong with you if you aren't getting it done. You have no idea of how to motive/inspire people to WANT to be led by you and make sacrifices for you.

4. "Management"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of management has an extensive law enforcement background.

Cons

Very, very poor people and leadership skills. Management also has difficulty in translating law enforcement skills into people skills.

Advice to Management

Better engagement with employees would surely provide an opportunity to discover what matters to employees.

"No accountability"

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Ability to obtain high grades and make great salaries

Cons

Management does not hold employees accountable for the responsibilities and rarely their actions. The tail is leading the dog.

Advice to Management

Accountability goes a long way

"Government Work"

Current Employee - Financial/Budget Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial/Budget Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Steady paychecks and pretty decent job security are probably the biggest draws to government work, but there are also the things many people do not consider. Things like job satisfaction and the ability to change policy--sometimes federal policy that affects the nation! Many work-life benefits are available for employees, such as alternative work schedules, flexitime and telework options.

Cons

Sometimes you run across that stereotypical government worker that everyone has heard about and have to wait patiently to get to a better position/office/agency.

Advice to Management

Not sure what the title to this box means exactly, but federal government offers education, training and mentoring programs to move personnel interested in public administration and management up the chain to appointed positions. Management should spend more time nurturing their employees and encouraging their advancement. Having your subordinates and peers around you promoting under your encouragement can only lead to positive results for you and your agency.

"White Collar Factory"

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Rosslyn, VA

Pros

Good overall salary for the work performed.

Cons

Low morale. Voted by federal employees to be the worst federal employer two years in a row. No promotion ladder. None of this matters because there is a hiring freeze for the foreseeable future.

Advice to Management

Establish standards and train your employees as to what those standards are. Trust them to do their jobs instead of creating a production quota. Perhaps get the Senior Executive level leadership to recognize these employees for the work they do as they are the most neglected and unrecognized employees of the agency. Without these analysts, the agents and officers would be doing this work by themselves. Have a new employee orientation beyond that of what the Department of Homeland Security gives new employees and make sure they know pertinent policies before going to work. Hire supervisors with actual management experience rather than analysts without any leadership or management experience. Rather than swimming against the tide as it pertains to telework, embrace the fact that this job has that flexibility and utilize it. Less micromanagement and more efficient management. End the needless meetings where nothing productive happens.

"Great Mission Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique mission - very interesting work to be done. Some exceptional talent is present within the agency.

Cons

Zero accountability, terrible management- particularly in the Office of Policy. The problem is endemic and all efforts to improve things within the agency have been superficial. The agency is bleeding its talented junior level staff and this has everything to do with first line supervisors and up.

Advice to Management

You have to root out poor accountability, particularly from mid level to SES level of management. Reviews go top down, never bottom up. Provide a real 360 review process where junior level staff can review their supervisors and Directors. This will keep folks accountable at all levels.

9. "I believe in the mission of the agency, but not the managers."

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like all Fed jobs, excellent benefits. Some offices within ICE offer flex schedules and telework, but this isn't available for supervisors.

Cons

I am a supervisor working in the Office of Financial Management. Low morale, little accountability, managers don't support or listen to first line supervisors. The Federal Viewpoint Survey speaks for itself...ICE is consistently at the bottom for a reason.

Advice to Management

Do something different!! The survey results haven't changed, so unless you are willing to change you will continue losing your best people to other agencies.

"Just okay"

Current Employee - Intelligence Research Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intelligence Research Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Variety of investigative work, good people, offices in many locations, strong pay and benefits

Cons

Agents are favored and analysts tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to promotions, TDY opportunites, and reassignment policies (there aren't any analyst-specific policies regarding transfers). Most analysts are supervised by an agent, and that causes a conflict of professional interests as well. There are no training representatives so I have missed out on several training opportunities because my management did not disseminate the info. The Human Resources department is often unknowledgable and incompetent. The pay is good, although not as good as other agencies, and morale is fairly low across the board. It's difficult for an analyst to get promoted to GS-14 or 15

Advice to Management

See above