US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Luke McCormack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and solid benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Excellent boss, autonomy in the work, flexible work schedule, great benefits, ample training opportunities (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • For the last 28 years I worked 24/7 and I am looking for days if possible Its ben hard on family life (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, supervisors can get paid overtime.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be maddening at times.

2. "Auditor"

Former Employee - Auditor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Auditor in Arlington, VA

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are really no good reasons.

Cons

A lot of age, gender and skin discrimination against armed forces veterans.

Advice to Management

Try to end the politically correct bigotry - especially against veterans.

3. "There is always change at ICE."

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ICE management has made teleworking and being family friendly with employees a real plus at the agency.

Cons

There are too many people who only want to get promoted. Management does not care about federal service.

Advice to Management

Go slowly in this new administration

4. "Management Program Analyst"

Current Employee - Program Management Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Management Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working in my small team where we manage residential detention facilities for immigrant juveniles, families, and adult females. We ensure that standards are maintained, manage contract personnel that conduct compliance inspections of those facilities. As the contract officer representative (COR), I manage contract budgets, and interact with contractors regarding deliverable schedules, employee costing and billable hours. I prepare project status reports, suggest innovative solutions to better manage agency and client expectations. I develop very close relationships with all of my clients, and am involved in pro active solutions in case a problem arises so that it can be addressed before problems arise.

Cons

My agency does not have any promotion opportunities for me. Where I am in my career is as far as I can professionally.

Advice to Management

Become more workforce engaged so that innovative help employees to feel valued. Eliminate nepotism, and equitably advertise opportunities for promotion, professional growth, and recognition.

5. "HSI"

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time

Pros

Great people with whom I work with. Chance to make an impact by helping people.

Cons

Paperwork, lots of paperwork.

Advice to Management

None. At least for me supervisors have been good.

6. "ICE"

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

the mission support staff are uninformed at times

"5 Sars"

Former Employee - Intelligence in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intelligence in Washington, DC

Pros

Camaraderie, hours, equipment, professionalism, commitment.

Cons

Young, too many "new" programs. Keep it simple.

Advice to Management

Stop changing your name.

8. "Was ok to work for them."

Former Employee - Locator in Carbondale, IL
    Former Employee - Locator in Carbondale, IL

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work. Steady income. Company vehicle you got to take home.

Cons

They worked us 60-70 hours a week. Great if you don't have a family. Lower than most in the industry probably because of the amount of overtime you had to work.

9. "Eh... life in Office of Financial Management at ICE HQ"

Current Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC

Pros

The people I work with are mostly nice, on the Federal side. You WILL be working OT

Cons

You WILL be working OT... and possibly LOTS of it. No leave during year End close process in October. High turnover rate. About 80% of the HQ staff is made up of contractors. High turnover means there's not a lot of institutional knowledge. The teams are not always well integrated because new employees on one team have no idea how things work on the others. It's becoming obvious that the team I work on had been given free reign and little oversight in past years because what mgmt. and team leads from other branches had no idea of how things worked in our area. People just get worn down. I told myself a couple months I wasn't going to let this place run me into the ground anymore. And that was BEFORE the manager supervising my team decided to get me another person's ENTIRE workload because that person took a different job. So now I'm doing the job of 2.5 people. ALSO, they never tell you when higher paying positions come open. In my previous job, leadership always let us know about different job opportunities. There have been several GS14 positions that came open in OFM, and not a peep is ever said to let employees know about those opportunities. Which means the only way current employees would know about the openings is if they were already looking for a different job. My boss told me repeatedly that she thought I was good enough to do her job. I told her I didn't want her job, and that was when I thought she was a GS15 (I'm a 13). Later I found out all of the branch mgrs. are only 14s, which is ridiculous for all the crap they take. I'm a midlevel 13, so a 14-1 makes like $2K more than me. No way I'd want all that stress for an additional $2K, That place is already affecting my health. For the last several months since I have been working there, I have been having migraines. If you're MARRIED, you'd better have an understanding spouse that doesn't mind you getting home late and doesn't mind that you are going to have to slack in your household duties due to the crazy hours you are going to work during month end and year end closes.

Advice to Management

Honestly you rarely see most of the senior leadership, even though they work in the same section of the floor. How about trying to see things from the perspective of the people you are supposed to be leading. The decisions that are made clearly disregard the impact on the actual employees that do the work. People just keep piling more and more work on, with crazy deadlines, and then look at you like there clearly must be something wrong with you if you aren't getting it done. You have no idea of how to motive/inspire people to WANT to be led by you and make sacrifices for you.

10. "Okay, But Too Much Bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Special Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Special Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Federal government work in investigations is rigorous, demanding and challenging. The pay is good and pensions are phenomenal. "Toys"--machine guns, high performance vehicles and authority is intoxicating.

Cons

Physically and mentally taxing. Most burn out after 15 years. It's not your average job, as you risk your life almost every day.

Advice to Management

Increase pay. Provide larger pensions.