US Investigations Services Senior Investigator Reviews | Glassdoor

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The upper management ruined what was a great place to work and build a future doing something that mattered (in 27 reviews)

• Low pay given the stress and responsibility, especially when seeing ads from Taco Bell hiring assistant managers at a higher pay rate (in 12 reviews)

"Great Mission"

Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great mission-focused business with solid training programs and good work/life balance

Cons

No real opportunities for growth outside of manager-level

"Was only a matter of time"

Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Boston, MA

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home. Some flexibility

Cons

As others have said, unrealistic metrics, people being indirectly forced to work "off the clock"

Advice to Management

For any company in this business, it would be great to actually worry about investigations and the information rather than numbers and $$$

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Pecks Mill, WV
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Pecks Mill, WV

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun while it lasted, I just keep wondering where are they now. Can they regroup and come back again? I would go there again.

Cons

Not good that they are no longer in business, competition is necessary for other companies to know that they could lose people.

Advice to Management

Not much

"Did Johnny really do it?"

Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time

Pros

I can't believe what happened to this company. The real question is whether JT came up with the dumping idea or was it hatched by private equity? I would guess private equity, but we'll never know. If it was private equity, I'm sure they've lined enough pockets that JT had to take the fall. I wish 60 mins took a closer look as just what happened with this company.

Cons

Advice to 60 mins: look into private equity companies that invest in companies that are awarded government contracts.

Advice to Management

We should have never sold!!! I was yelling it from the mountain tops back in 2003 or 2004! How much money do you greedy people need???

"Senior Investigator"

Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Seattle, WA

I worked at US Investigations Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, flexibility to make your own schedule, not that difficult if you work hard and pay attention to the quality of your work.

Cons

Poor decisions made by top management made the entire company look bad and ultimately led to the loss of the contract.

Advice to Management

Don't put money first and you won't be tempted to make such foolish decisions. The nations' national security should have been of the utmost importance.

6. "Downfall"

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a good company at one time and the work was rewarding.

Cons

Greed took over in 2011, which led to the loss of the OPM contract in 2014. Hardworking and dedicated employees lost their jobs. The end result was the contract went to competitors, Keypoint and Caci, who are mere shells of what USIS once was. Shame because USIS was the leader in the industry and would have remained on top !

Advice to Management

No advise, The damage was done

"What started out promising ended horribly"

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The biggest benefit of working at USIS was your ability to make your own schedule, which soon became the biggest con of this employer.
    Having a company car with gas was another perk because after a few years of using my own car it was worth virtually nothing after all the miles I put on it.
    In my time there I got to visit some interesting places and see things I would have never experienced at another job.

Cons

When USIS started getting ready to go public we become more like an assembly line. We were pushed to work harder and harder and quality suffered. The requirement to meet unreasonable metrics meant for most investigators working all hours of the night. Having the ability to make your own schedule meant having no life at all.

Advice to Management

Management lost sight of what our real purpose for doing our job was. Instead of focusing on unrealistic production numbers focus on the quality of the investigation. In the end that's what the customer was paying for. Lesson learned I suppose.

"Wow - what happened?"

Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company car. Federal Holidays off. Generous Vacation. Pay wound up being good after 7 years. Generous with overtime. Good coworkers.

Cons

It was USIS. OPM was a tough customer. USIS only gave us 8 business days to complete a case. Yes, 8 days. National security? They were only worried about $$, but OPM pushed USIS to get the work done fast. Upper management had no idea what a background investigation or a security clearance was, but they made hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

Advice to Management

Enjoy your next career.

"Once great, became publicly traded, compromised accuracy for profits"

Former Employee - Senior Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once robust, vibrant industry leader. I was paid well but others weren't.

Cons

Sold out. After going public, Profits trumped accuracy and began the luge-run to hell. Outsourcing research to Bangalore, India, ZERO communication from management and a parade of visiting VP's who were soon fired inspired a no-confidence vote in local and corporate managers. Little-to-no chance for advancement, especially for males.

Advice to Management

Wasn't sure there actually WAS any management!

"Former investigator for 10 + years."

Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Hampton, VA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, flexible hours, fleet vehicle, PTO, streamlined processes. After USIS lost the OPM contract, investigators had to find new employers. Doing the same work for other companies, one realizes, while not perfect, the company was ahead of their competitors in terms of automated/streamlined investigator support (manifesting, help lines, etc)

Cons

Work/life balance - by the end I was working 7 days a week and consistently on over-time. Greed got the better of this company -- and it wasn't INVESTIGATORS -- management and reviewers are the components under investigation in the DOJ suit.

Advice to Management

I was hoping your competitors would learn their lesson from USIS -- they haven't. They are both fixated on production, not quality. All of these companies are driven by "its a business" mentality -- yes, it's a business but the business is NATIONAL SECURITY background investigations. Bottom line: Quality should always trump Production.