US Jesco Sales Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales Agent

2.2
Jay Spalding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Close to a year of good solid work"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at US Jesco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My stores have been killer for close to a year! A lot of Grand Openings with Sam’s Club. Me and my partner knocked it out of the park. I have been working the Steam Mops for close to a year. I was hired with no sales experience but I am an outgoing person. There are a few new products and I am about to be trained on one of them to get prepped for the Holiday blowout.

Cons

A little better with initial training would have helped me a ton. But once I got the processes down, it all seemed pretty easy. Middle Managers could answer the phone a little more, but they have been there when I really needed them.

Every now and then we got a few of the products that didn’t work. Really more of a mechanical issue, than a Con for the company.

Advice to Management

Plan stores out a little further. Answer phone more.

"Stay Far Away From This Company"

I worked at US Jesco full-time

Pros

Experience. Never boring. Opportunities to meet interesting people.

Cons

Completely life consuming, shockingly dishonest, controlling employer. Consistently losing store contracts due to misleading paperwork. No insurance benefits (they tell you there are, but try asking. Then work there for a year and try asking again). NO GUARANTEED PAY regardless of whether you are at a store near your home or in a store across the country. Uncontrollable negative store situations for a 10 day run. Inferior products that I had to sell with a smile, knowing they would break within the month.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Pay them in full. Pay them on time. Do not deliberately mislead people during the interview. Reimburse your agents (at least PARTLY) for travel. Stop belittling, abusing, and taking advantage of the people who make you your money. Stop leaving fake, positive reviews on the internet so that you'll get more applications.

"Not worth the hassle"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at US Jesco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a good manager. Money was good during the holidays. Weird but fun gig. I really liked the couple of people who stayed longer than a few weeks.

Cons

No base pay. You're a 1099 independent contractor, but you have no say over your schedule or products. You have to pay out like crazy come tax time. Shady reporting of numbers. Was often put in the same tapped store over and over again. No coverage for mandatory travel.

Advice to Management

Live up to your promises. Get some new store chains, fix up the quality of some of your products. Take the lies out of the pitch.

"started good but went south quickly"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in New York, NY

Pros

lots of work if youre ready for it. must be a hustler and or shark. there is good money to be made if youre good at this.

Cons

mostly with territory, pay, and inventory. we were told we would be in one area or not far from it, but our territory expanded more and more, increasing travel time, which sucked. inventory returns also effected commissions, which also were pretty sketchy in terms of proving what youre owed. if you can keep up with that its fine.

Advice to Management

pay your people on time and have a better way to show commissions.

5. "Great company if you can see the corporate goals!"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Portland, OR

I worked at US Jesco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sales experience in a showstyle environment, became fearless with sales! Great training and support when stores were welcoming.

Cons

Independant contract status. No benefits, no control of where we would be placed in stores. Lots of travel, not much at home, but the anchors out 90 miles were OK. Being an independant contractor means you pay full expenses, not an official employee.

Advice to Management

Move the in store presentations so they only happen once per 6 months. Most of the customers are repeat customers to the store. One new product (amaerican made) every six months in new stores each time.

"You take the good with the bad"

Former Contractor - Sales Agent in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Sales Agent in Washington, DC

I worked at US Jesco as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a wonderful opportunity for actors and performance professionals to stay fresh and utilize their abilities. They work on scripts and although it is pretty set, there is some opportunity to add your own personality. You are on your feet throughout your scheduled shifts, which is great for your health. You get to meet a lot of new people. During the holiday season, you can really make a lot of money. If you have a good support system locally, you have the opportunity to hone your skills and make more money than troubleshooting on your own.

Cons

You really rely on the cleanliness and thoughtfulness of the crew member working prior to your shift. If they are sloppy or don't clean the counter or the tools you work with, you may have some work cut out for yourself just setting up your space. After the holidays are over, the money slows down quite a bit. It can be very frustrating at times. Because you're on your feet all day, there are lots of sore muscles and joints by the end of your shift.

"New Programs and New products - Exciting Times"

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

Pros

Jesco has brought in a few new programs with different compensation packages and new products. This year has been full of opportunity and I am excited to see what else they have to bring to the table this year. v

Cons

I would like to see more training on the newer products and shorter scripts.

Advice to Management

Create career paths for the sales teams and if we can make the expansion into Australia I want to be there!

"Can't believe these reviews"

Former Contractor - Sales Agent, Trainer, Unit Trainer
    Former Contractor - Sales Agent, Trainer, Unit Trainer

I worked at US Jesco as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. It can be fun when you are selling a lot.

Cons

Notice that most of these reviews are posted by those in administration or brand new employees.

I was there 3 months and by the end of the time I left, there was almost 100% turnover in my region. I never met anyone except managers or trainers who had been there more than a year.

They have a lot of loopholes to not pay as much as they promise, and paychecks are frequently late and have to be chased down. No reimbursement for expenses! You get 2-3 % extra commission if traveling over 60 miles. Whoop. Keep in mind you are only guaranteed $50 a day, even on a double shift. Add possible travel expenses, hotel and a crummy store and you are sometimes paying for the privilege of working -- HARD!. For the cooking products, you have to buy a chef's coat and hat at your own expense! Plus they say they will reimburse for produce, but never do, and in addition to the long hours, you have to go to the grocery store to buy that produce daily, because you are never allowed to use store fridge. Plus you are expected to carry home your own garbage nightly.

The training is pretty thorough, but trainers can be quite rude and demanding. The products are nothing special and overpriced, though you are taught to make them seem exciting. The manager once screamed at me and hung up the phone because I told him I could not work a certain date -- BEFORE the schedule was posted and more than a week out. You are supposed to give your schedule a week out. Never apologized, and was frequently verbally abusive.

You were expected to work no matter how sick you were. I was told to keep working with laryngitis --hello, we are doing infomercials. Who is going to buy from a raspy-voiced, coughing and sneezing person?

Many stores (especially Sears) are not profitable. They are in few better stores, except Belk, and Belk varies by town. They kept sending me to Sears and I thought I was a lousy salesperson, till they sent in a top person to the store and she couldn't sell much there either. When I finally got a better store, I did much better, but then after Christmas no one was selling at all,including the trainers, and that is when the few people left all quit.

And if you don't give 2 weeks notice, they keep your paycheck. Therefore my last assignment was 3 hours away, in a huge store where the booth was all but completely buried in the basement, and the loudspeaker system did not work. Also not in the best neighborhood. A hopeless assignment I had to accept or forfeit the money they owed me -- amounting to several late-paid checks.

I suppose I could have tried small claims court, but the company is based in TX, and it just seemed better to lose money this one weekend and get my back pay and MOVE ON.

Advice to Management

Get in some better stores, or evaluate why better stores are not interested in your products. Pay people's expenses when traveling out of town, and reasonable expenses (like chef's uniforms). Treat employees like adults, not children who need to be bullied and insulted into meeting quotas.

9. "Life Changer"

Current Contractor - Sales Agent
    Current Contractor - Sales Agent

I have been working at US Jesco as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and the best cross training I have ever had when it comes to sales. This company has a new and fun way to work. I have a hard time even calling it work. I titled this review /Life Changer\ because not only have I learned a new and fun way to make endless amounts of money. But the way I think about myself and the confidence that has been given back to me. I do feel valuable again thanks to U.S. Jesco Int.

Cons

I do not have any now. But when I do! I will be back to let you know.

Advice to Management

Keep it guys, the real ones love you here!!!!!!

"Fun and out going person? Then this is the job for you!"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at US Jesco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy the flexible hours and locations! Worked this past Holiday season and banked enough money to carry me through the season and into the new year! And yes I had fun doing it! I love explaining the products and the energy of the crowds in the stores makes the day go fast. I have learned a lot about sales and the day to day operation of live demonstrating. This position is a great stepping stone for me and is helping me to build my skills for other positions.

Cons

I wish there were more positions available locally in my area.

Advice to Management

I think this company would thrive in other venues not just the one I worked at this past Holiday season. I would like to see them expand into more stores and demonstrate more often. It's like doing live QVC except I get to hear the applause and laughs!