US Lacrosse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Stenersen

1. "USL is a great place to work..."

I have been working at US Lacrosse full-time

Pros

I love working at USL. I have worked at USL for 2 years now and I plan to remain here until I retire. I love the people, love my job, love my boss and love the work life balance. I feel I am paid well for what I do and am provided with decent benefits.

Cons

Depending on your position growth may be limited.

Advice to Management

More accountability to the Leadership Team.

2. "People and mission are wonderful."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at US Lacrosse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at USL and the chance to do something that contributes positively to youth sports in the US. Challenges are varied, something different every day. Enjoy the job despite the heavy workload, usually don't feel stressed.

Cons

Heavy workload for the pay. Maternity/paternity policy and cost of insuring family is bad (especially since the pay is below market average for position and level of experience)

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees and reconsider your benefits package offerings and you will reduce turnover. People want to work here but they can't stay if it means negatively impacting their families with low pay and substandard benefits.

3. "State Chapters"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at US Lacrosse (More than a year)

Pros

Connection to national governing body allows for access to a lot of their resources for training coaches, officials, league administrators, and conventions. Access to corporate sponsors.

Cons

There is a large gap between one chapter to another. Chapters in traditional lacrosse areas function differently than others in less traditional areas. Funding and mission can be problematic.

5. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Towson, MD

I have been working at US Lacrosse (More than 3 years)

Pros

casual work environment. Good benefits. Non-leadership team employees work hard for one another. Lots of friends here.

Cons

Low salaries. Leadership team often stands in the way of the others doing their work and are not held accountable when they fail.

Advice to Management

Fix Leadership team

6. "I worked here as an assistant coach, helping out with all the different age groups and had a great time."

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in New Haven, CT

I worked at US Lacrosse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the staff that worked for CT Lax Club were all very friendly and knowledgable about the sport. They were all great players themselves and are now great teachers. I loved working here and highly suggest it to anyone looking to coach or even play for this program.

Cons

I had to travel far from my home.

7. "Mostly positive and interesting yet it's unquestionably a volunteer-driven organization with a wide set of priorities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at US Lacrosse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission to grow the game responsibly is taken very seriously and if you love what's great about lacrosse, such as community, sportsmanship and that it's a pretty amazing sport, then there a lot to love about USL! Work-life balance is great for more than half the positions, however some staff have no option but to work until the job gets done or the deadline is met.

Cons

The volunteer base is filled with amazing, hard working folks who care deeply about the sport and the organization, but because all volunteers are highly valued it's difficult to set priorities that everyone is willing to support. This causes angst for staff, even those who love the volunteers with whom they work.

Advice to Management

Triple your IT investment and get a member/event registration system that meets the market's expectations and needs and feels like it was developed this century.

8. "Great Experience!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at US Lacrosse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of movement throughout the company, so you don't have to stay in one position very long. Fun activities planned and opportunities to travel with the events team if you would like to. Find a mentor and stick with them - they will help you throughout your entire career.

Cons

You spend most of your day in a cubicle if you aren't working on a big team.

Advice to Management

While most people are clocking in 40+ hours a week, some are taking two hour lunch breaks daily or coming in late/leaving early.

9. "Great organization!"

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

--Great Organization
    --I was able to be creative
    --Growing sport calls for growth potential
    --Great for people who have a lacrosse background
    --Travel was great to all of the youth festivals
    --Staff was very close and communicated very well
    --The benefits were really great

Cons

--The Pay was low for the area
    --Worked in two offices

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "Great place to work for your first job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

US Lacrosse is a great place to work if you are part of the lacrosse community and/or you are looking for that first job right out of college. The environment is generally very laid back and supportive of young workers.

Cons

The management is terrible. Managers are generally more concerned about being right or wrong and less about what makes sense for the organization. For instance, one manager was so concerned about controlling every aspect of a particular project that she was willing to pay $48,000 more for a vendor service than was quoted by a different, trusted vendor. A senior manager was willing to let her do this, solely because "he didn't feel like dealing with it anymore". Fortunately, an even more senior manager stepped in and prevented this from happening.

Advice to Management

Get some new managers, or hold your current managers accountable for their product. One manager was hired to develop the marketing and branding of the organization, and instead ended up with a couple sponsorship deals after five years.

11. "WLB"

Pros

Great work life balance and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Accountability is limited causing frustrations throughout the organization.

Advice to Management

Hold people more accountable for their role and responsibilities, especially when they fail on a project.