US Marine Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

5,158 reviews

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
US Marine Corps Commandant Joseph F. Dunford, Jr.
Joseph F. Dunford, Jr.
1,268 Ratings

5,158 Employee Reviews

1. "1833- AAV Crewman"

Former Employee - 1833- AAV Crewman in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - 1833- AAV Crewman in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get some of the most advanced and skilled training all over the US and the globe in a way that is can be highly demanding and stressful, builds tremendous despline/ character and develops a stronger person. You will work under a chain of command system that will develop you into being a leader and will be expected to follow and enforce customs and courtesies that follow USMC traditions.

Cons

You will work highly extensive hours consistently especially if you are getting ready to deploy, which means any aspects of your life outside of the Marine Corps is not going to be a priority. Once you are deployed, you will not be seeing any other friends/ family for a long time. Sometimes you might get into a unit where things can be somewhat chill, or you might get into a unit that is ruthless in how they treat their Marines. It can be a real struggle if it's the latter.

Advice to Management

Stay positive and never give up.

2. "Cyber network operator"

Current Employee - Cyber Network Operator
    Current Employee - Cyber Network Operator

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good if you just do four years or retire. Opportunities are great if you have the right command and great for traveling.

Cons

Lower enlisted get treated like kids. If a higher rank dislikes you personally they will start a paper trail to try and get you kicked out.

Advice to Management

Better train the NCO's and up on leadership. Personally, I believe that even though we are all people, some need training on separating their personal feelings from the professional work space. I state that because I see if someone is disliked personally by some they are disliked in the professional environment and treated with little or no respect.

3. "Security Guard"

Current Employee - Field Radio Operator in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Field Radio Operator in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable pay and job security with benefits. Some benefits potentially follow amongst departing occupation.

Cons

Poor communication between employees of lower and higher status. Little pay for long hours. Inability for flexibility

Advice to Management

Better vertical communication. Higher pay. Raised awareness of support programs for employees

4. "Excellent Choice"

Current Employee - Infantryman in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Infantryman in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at US Marine Corps part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Service.
    Excellent Living Conditions
    Great Work environment

Cons

Needs longer contracts for future enlistees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Conflicted"

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I wish that there was a method by which I could rate it 1/2 star. I'd have given it 2.5 stars personally. There are several Pros, and several Cons, from my viewpoint. The vast majority of your experiences depend on your personality and your unit. Some units, honestly, are better than others. We have a phenomenon called "Command Climate." This has a dramatic effect on the individual experience, as the commanding officer sets the tone for the unit, and it percolates through the personnel. Sometimes, it's a heavy-handed approach, other times it's a wait-and-see approach. Being a Marine is a good character development piece.
    Some of the good things are the benefits, the bonds you can develop with others, the ability to travel and see the world and experience different cultures. As you attain seniority, the junior Marines are a definite pro, and something/someone you should look out for. The pay isn't bad, especially when combined with the benefits.

Cons

Being a junior Marine. Often times, you're provided with conflicting guidance, or orders. On the other hand, when there is no conflict, the guidance you're provided is often moronic and lacking of common sense.
    The Marines preach, "Top-down planning, bottom-up refinement." It's a farce. Often when you push the bottom-up refinement piece, you're told to "know your role," or put in your place. As you ascend the ranks, politics becomes the theme du jour, and getting promoted becomes a chore, unless you've ticked some pretty specific boxes. Furthermore, it often appears as though there's a "screw up, move up," mentality. I've seen countless incompetent peers/seniors who do just poorly enough and scrape by without getting relieved. They either end up in a position of increased responsibility or authority, or are promoted, likely both. I've seen Marines who were insanely competent, hard workers, who irritated the wrong individual and received poor reviews get railroaded out of the Corps.

Advice to Management

Enforce the regulations on hand, don't keep adding to the myriad orders. Stop holding the entire chain of command responsible when an individual makes a poor decision (e.g., a DUI), understand span of control ends when a Marine is outside the view of his leadership.

6. "Aviation Maintenance Manager"

Current Employee - Aviation Maintenance Manager in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI
    Current Employee - Aviation Maintenance Manager in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of pros involved with this title. They include earning a number of transferable qualifications and certificates, meeting and working with new people and all walks of life. Also, it has taught me to be a more qualified and professional asset to future companies.

Cons

There are few cons. Traveling in the Marine Corps is a must but it is also difficult to manage with a family.

Advice to Management

Give it a shot. Very beneficial career choice.

7. "Marines corps rifleman"

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time

Pros

Good money
    Vacations
    Travel

Cons

Stupid management
    Low compensation
    High risk

8. "Work Center Supervisor"

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time

Pros

Gain numerous skills and traits that can be utilized across multiple different job fields.

Cons

Seniority driven, lower level ideas rarely make there way to the top.

9. "Infantry squad leader"

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time

Pros

As an E-5 less micro managing

Cons

micromanaging at lower ranks, no freedom

Advice to Management

Continue the routine that has been continued for years.

10. "Landing Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Landing Support Specialist in Twentynine Palms, CA
    Current Employee - Landing Support Specialist in Twentynine Palms, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent pay, healthcare coverage, holiday leave, promotion opportunities.

Cons

Unlimited hours with no pay change, inconsistent in jobs, unprofessional relationships.

Showing 5,158 of 5,524 reviews