US Missile Defense Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 26, 2019

2.8
US Missile Defense Agency CEO Samuel A. Greaves
Samuel A. Greaves
  1. "A Superb Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Missile Defense Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at the MDA comes with a litany of benefits. Not only do you get the freedom of working as a civilian for the Department of Defense, but you also get to work with some of the world's most smartest and 'mission-driven' individuals. The selection criteria is very tight so if you are fortunate enough to be selected to join the MDA, wear the honor loud and proud.

Cons

The MDA plays a material role in the bureaucratic web of the USG. You must remember that minor things (your individual matters) may move at a viscus pace. Also, if you are looking for a 'career change' into an agency such as the MDA, you will definitely start from the bottom (PhD or bachelors degree).

Advice to Management

There is a need to empower lower-level employees with decision-making responsibilities.

US Missile Defense Agency2018-04-19

"Stop Focusing on the Negative"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at US Missile Defense Agency full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is excellent if you're still middle career. However, once you hit the pay ceiling that's it. The problem with this is that 1/3 or more of the MDA civilian population is at that ceiling. It breeds contentment, laziness and a "not my job" mentality. Also, what's the incentive to move up into management or heavier roles when you won't be paid more. Government needs to free up higher salary ranges to allow... growth as talent matures.

Cons

After 15 years of continuous service of and at the MDA I have discovered its problem. The leadership, starting at the very top, only focuses on the negative. We don't celebrate our victories. Have 99 projects that are green and 1 that is red? Just bring me charts on the green. I can't tell you how many times I've heard " I don't care about the green" Well, you should. Those greens are hard working civilian and... contractor teams getting the job right, in cost and on time. Morale is abysmal because when someone walks into your office or calls on the phone it's going to be negative and more paper chasing. I'm out of here by end of the month and it's been years in the coming.

Advice to Management

Celebrate your agency. We are proud Americans doing a fantastic job under tight deadlines, groundbreaking technology developments, and all the while under very difficult situations. Stop sucking up lower and middle management with your top down requests all the time. They don't have the bandwidth to manage their employees. Manager - that's as rare as a Yeti at the MDA. You know the kind that genuinely care about... your family, know your kids' and wife's names and embrace you. Maybe I'm asking too much. Though, am I?

US Missile Defense Agency2019-02-11

"Take your career elsewhere!"

Current Employee - GS13 in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Missile Defense Agency full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people stuck doing some of the nation's most important work in an outdated technocratic environment lead mostly by incompetent executives.

Cons

Your best ideas will be harvested and used for the superiors to promote their agendas and you will not get even the slightest thank you.

Advice to Management

Retire. Let the ladder down and let the next generation(s) up beyond the glass ceiling you've created to protect yourselves.

US Missile Defense Agency2019-02-26

"Bureaucracy and Micromanagement at all levels"

Current Employee - General Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at US Missile Defense Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The same as any other federal gov't position - job stability, great benefits, good retirement. The free education is a plus.

Cons

The Undersecretary for Defense is yelling "go faster!” In response, we have multiple glacial processes (all requiring 10-100 revisions of Power Point charts) to get anything done, too much low-level decision authority concentrated at the top, and intermediate leadership that will override your input to change it to something that is completely wrong - without any consequences. It takes just you first assignment... here to realize your efforts are worthless. Long hours to keep up with the above will get you the same measly raise and lack of promotion as the team "leads" who play with their Blackberries all day and take 3-hour lunches.

Advice to Management

Take the leadership training that you require of your own employees. You might learn something.

US Missile Defense Agency2019-01-09
  5. "General Outlook"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Missile Defense Agency full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It’s a job not a career.

Cons

Leadership is lacking. Supervisors don’t know how to supervise properly. Employees are not empowered and many work longer hours and don’t get paid for the extra time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - change is needed or your workforce will leave for other places that have a work/family life balance.

US Missile Defense Agency2018-11-23

"An absolute CF - RUN"

I have been working at US Missile Defense Agency full-time

Pros

This part has to have at least five words so here you go.

Cons

Where do I begin - I could talk about how glacially slow it takes for anything to get done or how the politics that infect every facet of the agency puts Game of Thrones to shame or the unbelievable incompetence and ineptitude that a not insignificant portion of the leadership displays or a million other things. This place has changed little from yesteryear where you practically had to wear body armor to keep from... getting (proverbially) stabbed a thousand times a day. I was warned about working here when I started and I wished I had listened.

Advice to Management

For starts, simply going to a Basic Management course would do wonders. Also, growing a pair and eviscerating anyone who wants to play politics rather than actually do their job and protect this country would also be a good start. Perhaps cleaning house and putting in competent leadership would make things better. Maybe not pandering to the 5000 ton gorillas (Boeing *cough*) and demand they actually DO THE JOB THEY... WERE PAID TO DO and, if not, they get a hard boot up the you know what. Top leadership needs to take a hard look from absolute top to the bottom rungs and DEMAND that teamwork, competency, and efficiency reign rather than what currently exist.

US Missile Defense Agency2018-08-03
  7. "General Engineer"

Current Employee - General Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at US Missile Defense Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits and job stability.

Cons

base salary low compared to other offers that I had.

US Missile Defense Agency2018-06-07
  8. "A good place to work if you find the right fit"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dahlgren, VA

I have been working at US Missile Defense Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

MDA does a better job recruiting and retaining employees than most government agencies I've had experience with. They offer challenging and relevant work in a variety of cutting edge technology areas and make more than a token attempt to provide a comfortable and simulating work environment.

Cons

Like other US Government or DoD organizations MDA is a hidebound bureaucracy that has trouble getting out of it's own way. Their hiring process, and many of their business processes are opaque and byzantine. Interesting work inevitably involves a lot of make work box checking paperwork reviews and meetings before real work commences. Despite lip service to flexible work schedules, work life balance etc. most... managers expect you to conform with core hours and work schedules without complaint. DoD organizations, do a particularly poor job balancing IT security against open access to applications and data needed to get the job done. Fortunately not everyone runs their department like it's 1948.

Advice to Management

If you want to fill the growing glut of vacancies in the government technology positions with high quality applicants you need to offer 21st century pay and benefits. Government employment these days is less secure with much fewer benefits so you need to sweeten the pot to attract the best and brightest.

US Missile Defense Agency2018-04-16
  9. "MDA Government Job Review"

Security Controls Analysis in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Missile Defense Agency for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of advancement opportunity if you work hard.

Cons

Very high ops tempo and lots of travel.

US Missile Defense Agency2018-01-06
  10. "PM"

Current Employee - Senior PM in Huntsville, AL

Pros

The mission and challenges associated with the intricacies of global missile defense as well as some very talented people.

Cons

There's no rotation of the leadership. There's no succession planning for the talent that exists. Though this is a DoD organization, it's not run as such. Some of the acquisition processes are cumbersome and not efficient. There's a lot of cronyism and it existed prior to the Agency moving from the NCR to Huntsville. I have been there 10 years as a career government person and am leaving before the end of the year.... This is a tough sale for younger folks wanting to start a career in the government...

Advice to Management

The Senior civilian (3-star SES) needs to be replaced. Other Army SES'ers are not impressed. He's not effective and should rotate out. You REALLY need to seriously set up a talent pool and manage your superstars as we continue to leave.

US Missile Defense Agency2017-07-30