US National Archives and Records Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

US National Archives and Records Administration Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles Piercy

Pros
  • There is never any reason to stay late, nothing done at the Archives is time sensitive, so good work life balance I guess (in 6 reviews)

• Decent pay, convenient bus ride (or parking (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room for advancement if not a veteran (in 8 reviews)

• The upper management of this agency leaves a lot to be desired (in 7 reviews)

1. "HR Assistant"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits: Health and dental, life insurance, FERS Retirement, Good Pay, Very flexible schedule options, Sick and annual leave, paid holidays, work-life balance, New building.

Cons

The upper management of this agency leaves a lot to be desired. HR upper management (as of 10/6/16) is horrendous. Violates prohibited personnel practices and merit system principles. Discrimination from the highest levels of the HR Department. Until management is removed, you do not want to work here!

Advice to Management

I would start with the basics of federal human resources. Study the merit system principals, don't discriminate when making personnel actions and NEVER violate the prohibited personnel practices under any circimstances.

2. "Archives Aid"

Former Employee - Records Retrieval Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Records Retrieval Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation and sick pay every pay period

Cons

lack of leadership in management

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally and get better leadership in management

3. "Archives Technician"

Current Employee - Archives Technician in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good healthcare and benefits. Flexible work time.

Cons

disconnect between Management and employees. Hard to gain promotions. Pay is below average. Worked hard.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees thoughts and suggestions.

"Monotonous"

Current Employee - Archives Aid in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Archives Aid in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Federal holidays off, accumulate paid sick/annual leave. Some of the work is easy to do (mentally), but can sometimes be physically difficult.

Cons

Sexist environment, especially in my department. Extremely monotonous work. Sounds exciting because you will be dealing with historical information, but working at the lowest GS level (archives aid) proves to be boring and almost depressing.

Advice to Management

Don't evaluate employees based solely on "who is a favorite." Realize that women can do this work as well as men.

6. "NARA Internship"

Former Employee - Archivist in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Archivist in Dayton, OH

Pros

Great first experience with working for the Federal Government. Decent Pay for an Internship. Very flexible with school schedule.

Cons

Work can be redundant at times.

7. "Federal Work Study Intern"

Former Employee - Archival Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Archival Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration (Less than a year)

Pros

A wonderful easy position for someone new to the DC area.

Cons

Not enough hands on experience.

8. "The experience was sufficient for the time that I was there. I was able to move around to a few different positions."

Former Employee - Record Retrieval Aid in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Record Retrieval Aid in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job was extremely flexible and accommodating to my college schedule. The work was routine and simple to do working in the Record Retrieval section.

Cons

The working conditions weren't always the best, but with the new facility I'm sure its better now. The Supervisor wasn't the easiest person to talk to.

Advice to Management

Take classes to learn and prepare for supervisory roles mif it is not something you are good at. Just because you qualify for a job doesn't make you good at it.

9. "Great definable experience, learned a lot of things that will push me forward in the future."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, Its a great place to tell people you work in the same building that houses the Charter of Freedom.

Cons

Lack of responsibility on management part.

10. "My experience was not so great."

Former Intern - Student in Spanish Lake, MO
    Former Intern - Student in Spanish Lake, MO

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation and hourly pay is very nice. Also the sick and annual sick leave is great. This job is intended for students so they make it very flexible according to your schedule.

Cons

The management at NARA is horrible and very backwards. You get promoted doing mediocre work. If you excel and succeed at your job, you are kept where you are.

11. "Good but old"

Current Employee - Archives Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Flexible hours, great insurance and a good amount of paid time off plus 11 holidays. A friendly environment too.

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all. At least for me the job is very boring and tedious. I'm not motivated to work hard as the bonuses aren't worth the extra effort.