US National Guard Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frank J. Grass

Pros
  • earn great benefits serve your country (in 20 reviews)

• Great benefits, many oppurtunities present just have to reach out (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • You are away from family for a little while (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours, sacrifices and hardships (in 24 reviews)

"Great job, great benefits"

Current Employee - Administrative Non-Commissioned Officer in Harrisburg, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative Non-Commissioned Officer in Harrisburg, AR

Pros

Good pay, we receive a set amount for each rank. I am an E-5(SGT) which with all pay and allowances total $3696 per month before taxes. We also receive a pay rais once per year across the board. The benefits are excellent, my family and have full medical, dental, and vision. I pay $29 per month for this coverage. I have no copays for any services to include prescriptions. Our retirement is pretty good also, after 20 years of service I will receive 50% of my base pay for the highest rank I held. I will also be able to draw retiement immediately, rather than waiting til I am 65. We also have a retirement invest plan also, called the TSP(thrift savings plan) where my contributions are diversified into stocks varying from low to high risk at my choosing.

Cons

Possibility of having to be away from my family for extended periods. This has only happend a few times through my 9 years of service.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize good workers at all levels, properly discipline those who need it.

2. "Proudly serving and protecting our freedoms!!"

Current Employee - S6 - Communications Officer in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - S6 - Communications Officer in Smyrna, TN

Pros

Job Security, better than average pay, and unbeatable benefits!!! Working in a position that I can actually fight for what I believe in and protect the freedoms that we enjoy on a day-to-day basis. Job satisfaction that no other job can compare to. Truly feel that I am a part of something that is greater than the individual and each individual is genuinely committed to during their best as a team. An absence of hypocrisy and back stabbing that I saw in the corporate world. Leadership and education opportunities that is unheard of in the corporate world. A support system that is truly their for you.

Cons

Time away from the family for long periods of time. Working in environments that are inherently dangerous and hostile.

Advice to Management

Fight to maintain the current level of pay, benefits and headcount.

3. "Great place to work with great benefits."

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

Pros

Great benefits, Great emphasis on wellness. Good opportunity for advancement and travel. Interesting work with a sense of satisfaction you are doing something worthwhile.

Cons

Current state of turmoil with mission and manpower changes. Potential for long deployments. Incur a commitment even if you decide the job is not for you.

Advice to Management

Clear and frequent communication flow is essential.

5. "TL for WIARNG"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fond du Lac, WI

Pros

Working for your country is a benefit

Cons

Leaving your life for years to go fight wars

Advice to Management

I would get higher quality soldiers in your unit. When you are working with people that are not of the highest intellect it is difficult to perform your job.

6. "Its alright. It has pros and cons like everywhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

Pros

Great Pay, promotion potential and place to work.

Cons

There are poor performers everywhere, and at times, our organization neglects doing house cleaning of our poor performers.

Advice to Management

Get rid or poor performers

7. "Don't tell anyone how great this is"

Current Employee - Attorney in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Arlington, VA

Pros

job security, advancement and pay are all very good. The people I work with are excellent, there is great balance of life and work, and I am encouraged to use the free gym.

Cons

The work is not exactly the most cutting edge, nor if you want a life of excitement will you be too happy to work here. Mostly here it is just about having a good job and being happy with it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I would say that the leadership is very good, and I have no complaints.

8. "Pride"

Current Employee - 13P E4 in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - 13P E4 in Concord, NH

Pros

Being happy to serve the US.

Cons

Following what higher ups ask

Advice to Management

Listen to people under you.

9. "Awesome, paid for school"

Current Employee - Platoon Leader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Platoon Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

1. Tuition assistance to pay for college
    2. Benefits/insurance if you need it

Cons

1. Possibility of being away from family
    2. Long hours

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great benefits and hours. Strong commraderie. Lots of resources to work with, just have to learn them. three more words.

Cons

My job is only temporary! Its really hard to find a job here, especially as an officer. The federal technician program is a joke. Do the exact same work as an AGR but for about 60% of the pay.

Advice to Management

Not much they can do. Everything is controlled by federal budgets. They need more people, and are often unable to hire the right people for the job because of all the red tape.

11. "It was a rewarding experience that gives back as much as you contribute."

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The NG provides great opportunities for a post-secondary education at little or no cost. Great progression and leadership training for future careers. This is a part time organization with opportunities for full-time.

Cons

As a military entity, there is always a potential for deployment. Not an organization to be a part of "just for the benefits". Must be willing and able to dedicate at least one weekend a month and 2 weeks per year for duty, which requires an absence from home.

Advice to Management

From my view, there appears to be a glass ceiling in the senior leadership positions. More transparent efforts should be made by the HR office to mentor minority junior leaders for growth.