US National Guard Reviews in Springfield, MO | Glassdoor

Springfield, MO

4.0
US National Guard General Joseph L. Lengyel
Joseph L. Lengyel

Pros
  • Great place to serve your country while being a citizen (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, many oppurtunities present just have to reach out (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • You are away from family for a little while (in 30 reviews)

• Driving a truck for long hours can sometimes result in your not returning to home until 2AM (situational) (in 37 reviews)

1. "Planning to stay until retirement."

Current Employee - Military Police in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Military Police in Springfield, MO

I have been working at US National Guard part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for personal and professional growth and development. If you are motivated to learn, there are many schools you can request to attend and you get paid for your travel, lodging, per diem, and receive your salary while acquiring a new skill. You get to network with other Soldier-citizens who share interest or experience in a common field. You can keep your "day job" and still play an active part in serving your state and country since the training requirements are only one weekend per month plus two weeks per year. You qualify for medical insurance (Tricare Reserve Select) for a family of four at a very affordable rate (about $200/mo) which is about impossible to find elsewhere. Then of course there is the GI Bill, SGLI, and retirement benefits.

Cons

You have to give up one weekend a month (plus two weeks each year) from your family or regular hobbies to attend drill training with your unit. Your unit could get activated for a lengthy deployment potentially anywhere in the world and you could be placed in imminent danger.

Advice to Management

Keep the main thing the main thing. We should train as we fight and fight to win. With only two days a month to build a cohesive and effective unit, we need to be doing a whole lot less trivial administrative tasks and a lot more hands-on training directly relevant to our respective MOS. We will never likely be activated to confront a threat utilizing our SSD's, PowerPoint slides, and spreadsheet trackers.

Showing 1 of 667 review