US Navy Employee Reviews about "away from home"
59% would recommend to a friend
(1166 total reviews)
58% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "It's got great benefits and you get out of it what you put into it" (in 3298 reviews)
- "The pay Is good depending on rank and the majority of it is not taxed which is nice." (in 1183 reviews)
- "Great job security that fulfills the desire to do your part for the country you love while learning a valuable trade." (in 931 reviews)
- "Great people that pour their heart and soul into a job to get optimum results." (in 775 reviews)
- "Great training and you experience cultures in a way you can't understand by going on a vacation." (in 638 reviews)
- "The hours are long and there is a constant demand to do more with less." (in 1857 reviews)
- "Poor leadership that did not let others help in processes that could have been more effective." (in 1020 reviews)
- "No work life balance for you and family" (in 619 reviews)
- "Time away from family can be rough and long hours" (in 608 reviews)
- "Poor management but improving" (in 259 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of US Navy and is not affected by filters.
Found 1,166 of over 29K reviews
Updated Dec 4, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "away from home"Return to all Reviews
- 5.0Jun 22, 2020E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second ClassCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsHonolulu, HI
I was able to travel the world and experience 10 different countries and learn about there culture.
Long distances away from home and when you do have down time you never have the ability to make it home
- 4.0Jul 8, 2021Electronics TechnicianCurrent EmployeeEatonton, GA
Sets you up for great career opportunities for after separation
Long working hours and away from home commitments
- 4.0Jan 2, 2016E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First ClassCurrent Employee
Alot of benefits and develops you for once you get out. Great advancement opportunities and educational is a plus
Hard hours and depending on the command you will be away from home and loved ones for long periods of time
- 3.0Dec 11, 2012Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 10 years
you are compensated well on some occasions.
The pay does not fix all of the personal problems you may inccur from being away from home all of the time.
- 4.0May 19, 2015Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
The Navy has great benefits and provides experience unlike any other. An incredible opportunity to lead people and see the world.
The main con with the Navy is the long training and deployment periods spent away from home. You have to be willing to spend long periods away from home.
- 4.0May 29, 2014Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 10 years
Training, discipline, and leadership experience. Wide variety of job fields, so choose one that best suits your likes and skills. Good advancement and a life-changing challenge if you are up to the tasks of military life.
Potential for a lot of time away from home and family during deployments and long work hours while preparing for these deployments.
- 3.0Aug 9, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Good advancement opportunity and good pay for the work. There are lots of opportunities to travel and even live email overseas.
Long hours and weeks and months away from home. The worst though is the politics involved in performance evaluation and promotions as you get more senior.