US Postal Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 27, 2017
4,130 reviews

Full-time Part-time

4,130 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • The postal service offers above average pay and benefits (in 214 reviews)

• Very good pay no issues with hours (in 555 reviews)

Cons
  • You get NO benefits except 1 hour annual leave per 20 hours worked but good luck taking it (in 275 reviews)

• Long hours if you are a CCA (City Carrier Assistant) (in 225 reviews)

"Rural Carrier (RCA) Tells You the Real Deal..."

Current Employee - Rca in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Rca in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work Friday, Saturday and Amazon Sunday (Best work day of the bunch, in my opinion). I am also 'on-call' for the other days of the week...( No vacations allowed).

I average $325 to $375 a week AFTER taxes for those THREE days... but it can increase if I get called in, usually with very little notice. Obviously... Christmas time I make a lot more $ but I work crazy hours. Mailmen hate Christmas time. FYI. Trucks are too small... evaluated time still applies... Per hour rate decreases.

USPS 3 day work week has similar pay to my last job at Walmart working five days a week. For the most part... I am on my own with the routes... Sink or swim. I think that's fair, sort of... I make decent, faded blue collar, low education money for only working three days a week...

I happen to value my time off more than I do making gobs of money. Keep in mind.... I am single with zero children, no wife and low living expenses. Four days off a week is kinda nice if you have little expenses and aspirations to build a better life through entrepreneurial activities. If you got responsibilities.... you can meet them here. Everybody in the place has a nice vehicle...

You will be assigned a primary cover route, ie... your regular carrier's day off (plus they get Sunday off)... mine is Friday. It will vary as to which day off they take, it's based on seniority. RCA work days vary depending on routes assigned.

A secondary route will be assigned to you. This will be a different route and can change from week to week until you pass your probationary period. However, even then, it can change. This is the USPS and they own you... so to speak. It's their way or the highway...

Fyi.... during your interview, they will stress you are only guaranteed ONE day a week... this is BS, especially if you are in a large population area. It's designed to weed out the undesirables. If you are capable and willing to work... there is plenty of room for you. They are severely understaffed.

I personally love my Amazon Sundays. Easy money... very little stress. Basically we get to be low-key Fed-Ex or UPS for a day. Just deliver packages. It's nice compared to what we go through the other days...

And that leads me to the "Cons"....

Cons

I thought being a mailman was going to be my sweet, dream job... Easy life, driving around through the country side.... Well... it is... but it is way harder than people think.

I am generally scheduled 3 days a week... however... I cannot leave town, go on vacation, or otherwise not be available if they need me because somebody called in sick. You will be tied to a location in which you can get to work if they call you.

Freedom gone. My biggest factor for disliking this job is stress. I actually like running around in the country side on my own... but the stress factor is a big one.

Running mail is a race. Gotta finish before the outgoing truck leaves... gotta make time... evaluated time... Gotta case in time even though you have never been on that route... need help? Too bad. Gotta make your leave time or they will give you crap.

My biggest complaint is management will not help you to succeed. It is truly sink or swim. Which, I think is unfortunate.

Currently... It is advertised that I make $17.40 an hour.. pretty sweet..eh?

Well... there is this thing called 'evaluated time'. My Saturday route is 'evaluated' to take 8.6 hours, total. In reality, my start time is at 730am and my finish time is around around 5 to 6pm... It does not equal out to 17.40 an hour, I average around 13 bucks an hour... That said.... the carrier I sub for does it in the allotted time but she has been doing the same route for 20 years. Obviously... she has it down. You will get faster... but it takes time... a lot of time. Until then... it's the bottom of the rung for you... for a very long time.

And here is what kills me.... your stellar management team at USPS will expect you to do the same time within a month or so. That's pretty hard to do. It is doable... depending on your 'package load'. This is really what yanks my chain... Evaluated time says you should complete the route within a given amount of time... 100 packages or 400 packages... it doesn't matter. Get it done or they will crap on you. Some way... some how.. It's about numbers... not reality.

Packages are what really slow you down. Mailbox to mailbox is one thing and it can be mastered fairly quickly, however the in and out, truck to door, house to house is a real time consumer. Guess what...? They don't care.

You will learn a new term called 'casing'. This is the hardest thing. Imagine taking 600 to 700 small slots, each with an address and being handed a few thousand random pieces of mail and told to file them... in less than 3 hours... not to mention all the packages you might have. Now imagine you have never run this route before... too bad... get it done. It is very hard. Not every one can do this and succeed.

You will be harassed. You will be spoken to in a less than positive way.... You don't matter.

It's all about numbers and time, and it comes from the top management. It trickles down to crap on you. From a management perspective.... it's about promotion and self-preservation. Where does that leave you? ... Yep, getting abused.

I could go on and on... just know this... if you have a thick skin and can ignore the constant condescension and un-predictable work schedule... then the USPS is for you. If you have a crazy gift of memorization... USPS is for you.

I won't even get into the fact that full-time (career) employment ... ie... benefits... can take at least 5 to 10 years. Hear that again.... Benefits take many, many years to achieve.

Oh... did I mention... your trucks and scanners are 1980's tech and complete crap? LLV's are death traps. Enjoy your new job as a government slave. I am.

Advice to Management

Learn how to operate a multi-billion dollar business in the real, competitive business world and not be a sucker on the teat of big government. All they care about is their pensions...

2. "Great look for hard workers"

Current Employee - MHA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - MHA in New York, NY

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay good pay and good pay

Cons

No life all work

Advice to Management

Be merciful

"Horrible training and 600+ boxes"

Current Employee - Rca in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Rca in Edmond, OK

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced with lots of money to be made..

Cons

Awful mgmt training and expectations are through the roof. They don't consider what all has to be done and want it done before 6pm. Over 60 parcels a day, 6 trays of DPS on average a day, and enough flats to know you go insane. Just the first week of working I had a break down.. The overall time evaluated for this route is 9.5, regular gets it done in 7 lost days. It took me over 12 my try. They didn't like that it took me so long so mgmt has me come in later to oust pick it up and take it to the street, so, in short, I'm not learning the case. Mgmt makes me take the DPS to the street so it takes even longer to shuffle through all the DPS and I'm not getting the visual of the street while delivering. It's a mess and I'm trying to get as accurate as I can so I don't make bad habits. Honestly, I'm being set up for failure. I've been told by many Subs and regulars that they've had many quit from this office but I'm not sure what I can do, if anything at all. I herd this job but I feel like the overall expectations with this route is going to get the best of me.

Advice to Management

Acquire some training on how to deal and place people correctly, it's obvious this route is more than I can handle while learning.

5. "No home life"

Current Employee - Pse in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Pse in Cary, NC

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and possibility of career

Cons

Supervision is spread thin which causes them to be short
    Long hours 7 days a week
    Last minute changes to the schedule
    Lies constantly told
    And the list just goes on

6. "Tractor trailer blues"

Current Employee - Tractor Trailer Operator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Tractor Trailer Operator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Easy workload
    -Great benefits
    -Decent starting pay

Cons

Horrible hours
    complete lack of work
    lied to from day 1
    empty promises

I was hired as a part time flexible career tractor trailer operator in January 2017, after enduring a long drawn out interview process that lasted several months. From the first group interview we were all promised a staring salary of $23.59 an hour, and we were told it was a full-time positions. during the interview the human resources guy told us it is actually a part time positions but not to worry because most TTO's work 50-60 hours a week. Once in orientation, the same guy told me, and several other new hires that we would be working from a smaller P&DC. Well long story short, we are only averaging approximately 36 hours a week. we all left better paying jobs based off a false promise of gainful employment. I was making alot more money at my last job, and I am unable to return. if you are going to apply as a TTO, make sure you are going to be working from a large P&DC, and not a little one.

Advice to Management

if you cant give your career employees full-time employment, stop hiring so many people for so few positions.

7. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bell, CA

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Longer lunch breaks for employee's

Advice to Management

work together as a team.

8. "mail carrier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time

Pros

friendly environment nice and peaceful

Cons

I have no cons sorry

"Implementing lean six sigma across all functions of the organization. Major shift might get bought out"

Current Employee - Lead Industrial Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Industrial Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable job and can easily be promoted if you work hard. Very flexible in terms of moving to another city to work which is a major plus.

Cons

Circular job same panic mode with executives all the time and change in machinery which makes operations never can put a good process in place

Advice to Management

Have a time floor where you cannot make major changes on the work room floor without buy in from managers who actually work the mail on the floor

10. "Good growth, lacking creativity"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good managers
    Good growth opportunities for recent grads
    Flexible work hours

Cons

No creativity
    Slow
    Poor benefits and low salaries

11. "Stable job with good benefits"

Current Employee - City Carrier in Hemet, CA
    Current Employee - City Carrier in Hemet, CA

Pros

Good benefits. Overtime if you want it because of terrible mis management. Working outside. Providing a service to the community.

Cons

Management. This is the most poorly managed company in the entire world. Most of the new programs and strategies they implement are terrible for customer service and costing the company money and time.

Advice to Management

We are all on the same team. Why does management and craft employees work against each other constantly?

Showing 4,130 of 4,436 reviews