USA Today Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 26, 2017

1.0
John Zidich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My bosses put great emphasis on work life balance, having fun in the work place, and making sure that I am working to fulfill my potential (in 9 reviews)

• Team atmosphere with great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue how to turn the brand around and is stacked with cronies of the CFO (in 7 reviews)

• But the newspaper industry was struggling so much it was pretty hard to get compensation or advancement (in 5 reviews)

1. "Multi-Media Advertising Executive"

Former Employee - Multi-Media Account Executive in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Multi-Media Account Executive in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate news company offers multi media advertising options. My jobs just been eliminated after 28 years due to restructuring, finding it hard to come up with any pros at the moment.

Cons

Always “restructuring”, believes call centers provide better customer service than in person local contact, no employee loyalty. Don’t feel they value small businesses.

2. "Run away - far away."

I worked at USA Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can work remotely
    Parent company usually recognized for good things

Cons

Self-congratulating senior leaders who don't know what they don't know - and they fight against ideas they didn't think of first
    Amateurish, tone-deaf team leaders - big on buzzwords, even bigger on outdated tools and methods
    Lots of talk about change - this company isn't really interested in change, they just want different results
    Very much a command-and-control organization - asking questions is considered a challenge to authority, not a request for clarification

Advice to Management

Invest in resources and TRAINING to use them
    Make a point of staying current in your respective functions
    Coach your leaders in true leadership
    Accept that your industry is changing rapidly, and you must, too

"No job security"

Former Employee - Senior District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Senior District Sales Manager

I worked at USA Today (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home. Vacation time was great after a few years.

Cons

They never gave out raises, never promoted. Would always hire from outside sources. Always laying employees off.

Advice to Management

Stick with the people who work and make do their jobs everyday.

"Think carefully before considering an offer"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is OK. Not many late night a the office, but that's only because there's not much business coming in.

Cons

Business is declining and that affects everything else. The brand's business model was built on print circulation at hotel chains; that has dried up and digital will never fill the void. Expect a re-org (i.e. layoffs) every 6-8 months. High turnover at all levels. 90% of employees seek better pastures after about 18 months when they realize there is no upward mobility within the company. If you stick around too long you will get laid off. Upper management has no clue how to turn the brand around and is stacked with cronies of the CFO. Your tasks will be subject to their whims, which are usually based on something they saw in AdAge that morning. Benefits are pretty bad. You get 15 days off, including vacation AND sick days (so don't get sick!) the first three years. After 3 years it goes up to 25 days. Health benefits are extremely expensive; virtually everyone who can get benefits through his or her spouse or domestic partner does so.

Advice to Management

Shut the business down. Sell the assets and give everyone a 6-month severance.

"Antiquated Business Model"

I have been working at USA Today (Less than a year)

Pros

The operational hours are reasonable.

Cons

Entry level and associate level employees aren't respected in the office, but rather expected to pick up the slack when senior management fails to complete work on time. Only senior employees are well compensated, yet entry and mid level employees complete the lion's share of the work. The company's business model is extraordinarily antiquated; the company is attempting growth, but fails to add employees where extra support is truly needed.

6. "Collegiate Correspondent Program"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at USA Today as an intern

Pros

Recognizable brand and the byline looks good on my resume. Wrote some things I can still use in my portfolio.

Cons

Disorganized and totally lacking in feedback/professional development/training. They consistently cancelled training calls and failed to answer emails, and there was less-than-smooth turnover of staff leading the program. Poor communication on management's part not only with the correspondents, but also with each other. Pay is virtually nothing for the amount of work they expect. When I joined the program pay was something like $20 a story; at the same time other outlets were consistently giving me $300-$400 for short articles and $1k+ for longform. (Which is just to say, the "this is a great learning opportunity and that's why we don't pay college students" isn't a compelling argument to me.) A third (maybe more) of my cohort stopped writing before the semester was out because the time commitment was much more intense (we're talking 30-40 hrs/week sometimes) than was communicated when we began. I'm happy to work hard, but I wasn't in a position to spend so much time on a virtually unpaid opportunity.

I was also really discouraged by the interactions I had with the program managers, who I felt were pretty disrespectful. Not only did they frequently take days to respond to emails and offer nothing by way of training, but they were, well, rude. Frequently implied (or explicitly said) we were stupid, not working hard enough, unoriginal etc. You can get away with that nonsense if you're Meryl Streep in Devil Wears Prada but not if you're lower level management overseeing a gaggle of college students at USA TODAY.

Advice to Management

Collegiate correspondents are people too. Don't let the power of being in charge of a cohort of 20ish college kids go to your head. (Also maybe compensate your interns better and you'll get a more diverse writer base.)

7. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at USA Today full-time

Pros

-Relaxed environment
    -easy hours, come and go as you plase

Cons

-No direction, very hard to get promoted or move up
    -Extremely low pay and no bonus
    -No one cares about the work you do
    -Terrible management

Advice to Management

Get your act together

"What A Mess"

Pros

Larry Kramer, Dave Calloway and Randy Kilgore were what was great. Larry and Randy are gone and Dave is likely not far behind.

Cons

A brand that is no longer valued by advertisers. Leadership which is lost and out of touch. A challenged new company spun off. Horrible benefits. What more is there to say.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Get in touch with what's going on. Do over.

"Advertising Sales"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today (More than 10 years)

Pros

National brand that USED TO have strong employees

Cons

Brand has completely lost its way thanks to inept management at USAT and Gannett. Once a proud place to work. Now a wasteland for other companies cast-offs.

Advice to Management

Sell USA TODAY to someone who values it.

10. "Executive Assistant"

Pros

When I started there, it was a great place to work. In the later years as the parent company, Gannett, took more control, it became a nightmare. Now USA Today is on the brink of extinction.

Cons

Don't go to work for Gannett. To be a multi-media company, the management is filled with mean, clueless, untalented people.