USA Today Reviews | Glassdoor

USA Today Reviews

Updated October 26, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My bosses put great emphasis on work life balance, having fun in the work place, and making sure that I am working to fulfill my potential (in 9 reviews)

• Great place to focus on yourself since the work is not brutal like ad agencies (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue how to turn the brand around and is stacked with cronies of the CFO (in 7 reviews)

• But the newspaper industry was struggling so much it was pretty hard to get compensation or advancement (in 5 reviews)

"Employee benefits exhibit the company's lack of human empathy."

Pros

Good opportunity to see the innovative products that the brand has to offer.

Cons

There is so much to do but no room for growth. We've seen a high turn-over (voluntary and involuntary) over the past couple of years and it's disheartening to see some of talented people leave because of that. Employee benefits are also one of the top reasons why people choose to leave, especially young employees who look to build their careers, seek guidance and mentorship, and would appreciate great tuition assistance program when they look to earn a higher degree.

Advice to Management

Ditch the politics and the old school, hierarchic process. If you invest in your employees, they will work harder for you. Management has to take the initiative to improve the quality of the employees' lives.

"Sad and Difficult Place"

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance was great in that most days allowed me to leave the office at 5pm and work from home during inclement weather when needed. My biggest pro was the fact that I did not have great leadership there- it made me very aware of what not to do as a leader and it actually made me a much stronger and better leader myself.

Cons

The office environment was toxic. There was not a germ of positive energy in the room, ever! Turnover was extremely high in ad sales and in marketing. Many of the teams across the NY office felt very junior level, even though title and years of experience noted otherwise. People who recognized this and were looking for more collaboration, an opportunity to learn and advance their skill sets, and less baby sitting of others, often left the company within a year or two at the most.

The marketing teams spends majority of the time learning how to write basic powerpoint presentations, even though majority of the team is comprised of manager level individuals and above. Sadly, this team has been positioned as order takers, and not respected by it's marketing management, which in turn creates the same sentiments from other groups in the organization. Yet still, much onus is placed on this team to carry sales since many members of the sales teams are not able to articulate the brand, it's products and ideas for pitches with clients. Many account executives didn't even know how to use their iPads for presentations. Marketing would also spend agonizing hours writing notes for sales to use verbatim during client meetings. Sales planners were left out of many conversations and seemed to tune out what was happening around them. Many times, they had no idea how to build media plans or where to look for things.

Majority of work load falls into print, even though they promote that the roles are cross platform. Teams often worked in silo's and had no visibility into each others businesses or initiatives. The goal may be to be a digital leader, but all the work is really just to maintain what is there, not go above or beyond to create digital innovations.

In addition to the professional issues noted, it's important to note that benefits and compensation were below par as well. HR was more of a fly on the wall than an adviser. If you try to call your benefits helpline, much luck. It's a game of phone tag where you are transferred around to a dozen people who can't provide you with a straight answer. Benefits themselves are subpar, there is a high out of pocket cost, my medicine was not covered on many occasions, and time off is less than industry average. Also, the company doesn't provide certain holidays that many organizations are used to having (i.e. President's Day, MLK, etc). There is a huge disparity between work life balance in the NY office and in the VA office. VA appears more balanced and reasonable.

I've never worked at an organization that was more challenged in organization, strategy and prioritizing it's employees.

Advice to Management

Management is a mixed bag of unprofessional and emotional individuals who take out their frustrations on their teams (and hire all their friends)- from crying to yelling (adding to the poisonous environment.) The CMO is condescending and provides little value to conversations around real world client scenarios. They also are a less than stellar role model for the entire marketing and sales teams. It's obvious and clear that management has no appreciation of employees or makes an effort to prioritize them and their needs.

3. "Big brand. Tons of incompetence."

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many. Pay was pretty decent. Office space was nice. But I need more than that.

Cons

Management really does not understand digital. There's little to no room for new ideas and thinking. Lack of technology expertise holds the company back in a major way. The "C" students typically stick around and put up with it. The "A" students need more opportunities and decide to move on eventually.

Advice to Management

Don't hire your friends for big positions, just because they're your friends. Hire competent, exceptional talent that can get the job done.

4. "Headline: Newspapers are on the way out!"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice fellow employees, weekends off, major holidays off. If you like looking over your shoulder and wondering if you are next...this is the place for you!

Cons

Young people are not buying newspapers--and so you are just servicing folks over 65 and the industry is dead.

Advice to Management

Find a new job

"Not too optimistic about the future of this place..."

Pros

Nice building, gym, and cafeteria. Some people on the digital side are forward thinking, but the dinosaurs make it very difficult for them to make any positive impact

Cons

Lack of clear strategy, terrible corporate culture, benefits were bad, and got worse with new healthcare plans, resistance to change.

Advice to Management

They are very out of touch with the employees. You need to share a strategy going forward that people can rally around

6. "News reporter"

Former Employee - Reporter in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Reporter in McLean, VA

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

cant think of any pros other than a paycheck

Cons

Horrible place to work, no work life, horrible management

7. "Was a great place early 2000's"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great to have on your resume
    Meet notable clients
    Great work friends - if they don't stab you in the back
    I loved what I did

Cons

Brought in a bunch of MBC execs, who then brought in a bunch of ex Conde Nasty execs. Proceeded to make work a living hell. Everyone was scared, back stabbing, jealousy, poor morale.

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize your bullying tactics don't work. Treat the employee, who have been there for a length of time with respect. They've been there, done that, so can probably tell you what will and won't work. Especially those out in the field.

"I was a founder of the newspaper in 1982, gave them 30 years of loyal service, then was discarded like trash for money."

Former Employee - Senior Editor in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in McLean, VA

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company

Cons

Duplicitous, incompetent management. They treat employees like garbage and make up for all their business mistakes by punishing or firing employees who actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Loyalty matters. Just shedding older workers and hiring young neophytes is not a recipe for success. Cutting expenses, including workers, is not how you grow. It just buys you a couple more years. Come up with a real plan (although I do not believe you are really capable of this) then invest in it.

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Programmer
    Current Employee - Programmer

I have been working at USA Today full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The campus, there is not much else other than a few very honest hard working individuals that are worked to the bone without any appreciation.

Cons

Over the last several years that I have been employed here the company has been through countless leadership and reorgs, all of which have flopped.

Directors and Sr Managers are all about themselves, I would love to list some names but won't.

Advice to Management

Wake-up, what goes around comes around.

10. "Rats from a sinking ship"

Pros

If you like large bureaucratic organizations, this is the place for you.

Cons

The newspapes is stuck in the past and, being entrenched in their old ways, finding it practically impossible to make the jump to the internet.

The paper is riddled with old time thinking -- the brightest and the best have left it behind.

Advice to Management

Realize that your asset is credible, researched journalism; make it readily available at a reasonable price.