USA Truck Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
James Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people you work with on a daily basis are great people (in 4 reviews)

• I stayed on with USA for 2 years, which is one year after my contract was up for driving school (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They took me across the country when I requested home time (in 11 reviews)

• Some driver managers don't really care (in 7 reviews)

1. "Otr"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a steady job that has excellent customer base.alot drop and hook staff all in all very nice

Cons

You have to work and you can't drive a 100

Advice to Management

Show me the money

2. "Worked as a Carrier Manager in Dallas office"

Former Employee - Carrier Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Carrier Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at USA Truck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a lot of freight so bonuses were always good. Very much what you get out of it will depend on what you put in. Arkansas based company. Work life balance can be very difficult in this industry but I always had managers that were supportive and flexible - though nights and weekends expected to be available for work issues. I was promoted several times - depending on your location there is upward mobility and I always found managers to be very ready to promote talent.

Cons

Upper management turnover is crazy high - so many CEO’s/Presidents/VP’s with all different initiatives can be overwhelming. I was once notified via Google alerts that a President had resigned, through an industry news alert and not by the company. Felt like I was on call 24/7 - but again, very much an industry thing.

3. "Lease Purchase Team"

Current Employee - Driver in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - Driver in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice brand new truck , fair contract . Good FSC and a good freight base such as light loads and reputable customers . Load board for solo operation is awesome .

Cons

No team miles , extremely high expense before profit . Team truck payment with no team miles .... :-( as in high truck payment compared to solos . Load board does NOT work for a team operation .

Advice to Management

Start telling the truth about lease purchase team miles . Drivers are people also who leave behind their loved ones for weeks on end to help their families and when you contort a story all you do is hurt their livelihood and families . Stop ignoring drivers concerns and return phone calls , own up to your “ fairy tale “

4. "Operations Management"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is definitely a challenging place to work at best.

Cons

No communication and alienation.

Advice to Management

More comprehensive training with focus on information we actually need rather than non-sense

5. "You have to stay out at least 30-45 days to see your money work. 37 cents an hour is what I started with."

I have been working at USA Truck full-time

Pros

For every 6 days out you get 1 day home but it doesn't really matter i.e. I'll stay out 12 days and have 3 days off.

Cons

DM's, camera facing inward. You always have to check to see if your breakdown pay is entered, detention pay, amd.any reimbursement.

6. "Any job there"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at USA Truck full-time

Pros

None! A big fat ZERO

Cons

So many! Impossible to advance unless you are female, young, willing to ‘party’ with the big guys. No place to begin a career or end one. Unfair and demeaning treatment of drivers , bullying, horrible condition of trucks, trailers, along with the poor treatment of drivers should bump this lousy company to the TOP of the list of places NOT to work.

Advice to Management

Management changes every few months. Why bother with advice because no one cares, listens, or does anything to improve work conditions. The only suggestion I have for any management is this: JUST.CLOSE.THE.DOORS.

"Good individual people, bad corporate culture"

Former Employee - Orientation and Training Manager in West Memphis, AR
    Former Employee - Orientation and Training Manager in West Memphis, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My position at a satellite terminal gave me the freedom to not have to deal directly with the corporate HQ culture and politics. My team was a fun, hard-working group of people that I was proud to work with.

Cons

The department head at that time was a terrible boss - hostile, adversarial, and unwilling to entertain anything other than the company line. Our satellite location had to operate essentially as an independent organization, because there was virtually no support from corporate.

Advice to Management

There was much complaining during my tenure about empty trucks and poor quality drivers, yet no willingness to let anyone do anything differently to change that culture. If you want quality employees, you have to become the kind of company that quality employees want to work for.

"Sucks"

I worked at USA Truck full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working for these clowns.

Cons

This place sucks. Beware. They have dumb pep rallies where they do a cheer and they make you participate. Terrible place.

"Avoid at ALL Costs!"

Former Employee - Director in Van Buren, AR
    Former Employee - Director in Van Buren, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with on a daily basis are great people. Salary is competitive, and benefits are solid.

Cons

Company is run terribly. Constant executive churn, with James Reed leading the current batch of liars. This man told me to my face on multiple occasions that my career was stable with USA, and that I should certainly settle down with my family and buy a house. What happens 3 weeks after I spend my entire savings to buy a home???? Position is cut, goodbye. No severance. No relo assistance to get me back to to where I uprooted my family from. No anything. No answers. Just an escort off prem. I even offered to stay on for a lesser salary since the decision was financial, and they said they could not trust me to stay on now that they let me go.

Zero trust from Reed and co. Do not trust a word USA Truck says, after all they preach about "the higher moral ground" and "doing the right thing". Doing the right thing would have been to say "hey, maybe rent for another 6 months before you buy a house, we are not sure about the state of your department".

Well, they had this reputation in the industry, and I should have known better. USA Truck? USA fraud.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? Practice what you preach at all costs. You care about morale and worker mentality? Then treat people honestly, and if you look someone in the eye and shake their hand, don't lie to their face. You need to remove your terrible industry reputation if you want to avoid your slide to the worst.

10. "Truck driver at USA."

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire new drivers with no experience. Dispatch curtious, friendly and professional and will do what they can to help their more valued drivers.

Cons

Problem with USA is not the people or the staff. It's their upper management all the way up to their CEO. Being a company driver, you will come to find out everyone there is following a set of rules set by the upper management or face termination. They"'ll continuously make their driver run 100 to 300 mile short hauls for entire week. When shut down at a truck stop, off duty, they will make you drop and hook, while off duty and sleeping. Excessive micro management. The company will never approve or give their drivers a 34 hour reset, never. 3 hours coming back the next day after a 10, they will still run you. Just about every live load, I had a bad pick up number and long wait times to get a new one from the account managers.

Advice to Management

Yeah change how you conduct daily operations, top all the way down to the drivers.