USA Truck 99 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randy Rogers

Pros
  • Decent miles depending on ur dm (in 4 reviews)

• Potential for good miles and ideal loads (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • On time home time when you request it is far fetched (in 10 reviews)

• Some driver managers don't really care (in 7 reviews)

1. "Not a lot of opportunities"

I worked at USA Truck full-time

Pros

Very understanding about appointments or dependents school/sports activities

Cons

Continuous change of leadership results in layoffs or job eliminations

"Good money, poor management."

Current Employee - Current Little Guy
    Current Employee - Current Little Guy

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is better than most employers in the area. The employees are good, hardworking people who care. I've met some wonderful people while working here.

Cons

Management is terrible. They do not listen to their employees or take into consideration the opinions of those who are "in the trenches." The majority of their problems could be fixed by talking to their employees and putting in place some of their solutions to everyday problems. There have been multiple management "regimes," which is exhausting. Each one with its own set of rules designed to "improve morale & service." These changes have become so routine that the employees commonly refer to them as "the book of the month club." None of these "regimes" seem to fix anything, ever. It's pretty obvious to everyone under a certain pay grade why this company couldn't make money if it was thrown at them. Don't expect a pay raise at all, ever. Oh yeah, and the insurance is horrible.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Not the directors or VP's. Listen to the ones who are actually managing drivers, booking loads and interacting with the customers. They can solve your problems. It's absolutely infuriating to see a company with so much potential and talent go down the toilet all because they refuse to listen to the "little guys" who are actually doing the work and not collecting 100k a year.

3. "OTR Not Valued"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safety is the only department that cares about the OTRs.

Cons

DMs and Dispatchers should have a minimum of 1 year experience as a OTR. They don't have a clue to what it is like to be an OTR. They give you loads with unreasonable deadlines and want you to have log violations like we are robots or slaves. There needs to be a revamping of organization training for the DMs & Dispatchers. Someone needs to create a virtual reality simulation for the DMs and Dispatchers to experience life on the road as a OTR. They also need some Customer Service training to increase driver loyalty. We are their customers. Some of the Dispatchers act like we are slaves. This is why there is such a high CHURN rate in the trucking industry with OTRs. My pay does not match my experience as a OTR. New hires are coming in at my current rate of pay, that is just wrong.

Advice to Management

DMs and Dispatchers need to have monthly meetings with Safety to stay current on what OTRs have been told by Safety. In order for a company to be successful everyone needs to be on the same page. This will decrease your Churn rate with OTRs.

5. "Broken promises, no support, and backstabbing galore"

Former Employee - Orientation Manager
    Former Employee - Orientation Manager

I worked at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I led a team of people at USA Truck, so you can say I was part of middle management. My team was the best, most cohesive team in the company, and I still say that to this day. They were some of the best people I ever worked with.

Cons

I interviewed with five different people at corporate before being given my job offer. I made it very clear during my interviews that I was not a "rubber stamp" man, and that I was not interested in doing things the way they were always done. I was told that a new perspective was what the company was looking for, and that they wanted someone with new ideas. It took about two months to realize that a "rubber stamp man" was *exactly* what they wanted. My unwillingness to conform ultimately ended up in my removal for the company under trumped-up charges. The HR department management lied to me about how things would be handled. My boss (Director-level) was the most uncommunicative, unsupportive, un-encouraging person I've ever worked for. My team and I received virtually no support at the corporate level for the things we were tasked to do, so all of our accomplishments were achieved *in spite* of the company, not because of it. I relocated my family away from all of our friends and loved ones because we thought that USA Truck was going to be a good opportunity, and it ended up being one of the worst mistakes we ever made. With the exception of the people on my team and a select few others, USA Truck is the worst professional experience I've ever encountered.

Advice to Management

You can't give advice to a company that's not willing to take it. When you have intelligent and capable people on your staff, the best thing you can do is get out of their way and let them pursue excellence. Stop succumbing to fear and be willing to make radical changes, or else you'll continue to go in circles being the sub-par company that you've become. Your shareholders have become the only opinion that you value, which will guarantee that you spend all of your time chasing your tail.

6. "Great training and started company for new cdl driver"

Pros

great training program for new cdl drivers

Cons

long and arduous training program

Advice to Management

n/a

7. "Outstanding"

Current Employee - Company Driver in West Memphis, AR
    Current Employee - Company Driver in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They always get me home on time. My dispatcher keeps me booked up with loads as long as I have hours. Everything my recruiter told me was true, he never lied or promised me the moon. THE ONLY COMPANY that I've ever worked for in the past 10 years that treats me with respect!

Cons

The average hold time on the phone with dispatch is about 35-40 mins.

Advice to Management

Hire more DMs like Antwon in Fleet 42!!!

8. "OTR Truck Driver"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good loads, keep busy and weekly pay

Cons

Driver managers do not have your back. ALWAYS trying not to pay you for things like breakdown pay, detention pay, additional stops pay, etc. I have been with the company for almost 6 mos and they have never given me a bonus or raise. I have been on time nearly 98% of the time. The weekend dispatch is culeless about what is going on with trucking. The shop takes forever to work on your truck and they have no idea you are needing it to get back to work. USA Truck has very bad communication skills.

Advice to Management

Hire Driver Managers who have driven a truck and have knowledge of the trucking industry. Train the DM's to have the truck drivers back and not make them feel inferior.

9. "Great"

Current Employee - CDL/A Driver in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - CDL/A Driver in Van Buren, AR

Pros

Family oriented ur not a number know you by name work with you on hometime can take hometime where you want when you want as an O/O

Cons

Don't run all 48....some older trailers ....closed alot of terminals and drop yards less areas for drivers to go in certain high traffic areas

Advice to Management

If you want to keep drivers happy especially us that want to run open more freight lanes more west coast like Idaho Montana Washington Oregon California and states in between

"Not what i thought"

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent miles depending on ur dm

Cons

The company is broke. They rather compromise driver safety to save money, or save their jobs. They do not want to maintenance trucks before switching them over to another driver. So be prepared to be at a mechanic shop soon after u get ur truck. Not the company i thought it would be. Someone just needs to buy them out and put them out of their misery

Advice to Management

Give up the reigns to a mega company

11. "Loved it at first and it went downhill from there..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Buren, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Buren, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hours a week
    Vacation/Benefits at first
    Worked in a decent department at first

Cons

After my first year they started "consolidating departments"...that is short for getting rid of some people and piling more work on others. It eventually got to a point where some departments had employees so overwhelmed they could not handle all the duties assigned to them. Rather than admit they were wrong they fired those people and put 2 or more in their places.

Advice to Management

Value your employees...listen to them when they ask for help. Pay attention to what is going on in your department.