USAA Reviews in Arizona | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stuart Parker

Pros
Cons
  • Growth opportunities outside of call center environment are limited unless in Texas headquarters (in 232 reviews)

• Long work hours, work life balance is said but not truly giving consideration (in 53 reviews)

1. "Senior Real Estate Processor"

Current Employee - Senior Real Estate Processor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Real Estate Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Employment with a purpose for all members

Cons

There are no cons to be seen yet

"Financial Foundations Associate - Property Casualty Insurance"

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, great co-workers & members

Cons

It is a call center job where the priority is cross-selling not service first and then cross-sell. Non-stop calls with set breaks and limited opportunity for professional development and advancement. If all you need is a job it will work, but if you have options and do not want to be attached to a phone with constant pressure to cross-sell no matter what. Look at other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Prioritize service and additional product uptake will be organic. Your employees want to cross-sell, but also want to properly service the members. High turnover will continue unless you start treating your employees as true human resources.

"Call center robot"

Former Employee - Collector in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Collector in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome facility, wage was ok, but...

Cons

The culture is a sterile, plastic, over-polished, fake environment of FOX News zombies and wannabe patriots all pretending to have drank the company Kool aid. It's a high pressure call center environment where strict adherence to metrics, scripts and policies are enforced by constant monitoring. Any slight deviation from their recipe is cause for immediate counseling. All of which trainers and managers couldn't actually do themselves if they were in in the same position. You are expected to be logged in/out to your phone system within 59 seconds for start, end and breaks or you are questioned and counseled. You are on a relentless autodialer for 8 to 12 hours a day where your call handling time is expected to be 3 minutes or less, or you are counseled. Your ears will hurt to the slightest touch from wearing a headset and you will be stressed about the cult-like attitudes as they pretend to be passive about systematically firing your co-workers. They have a saying, "Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do." However, I've been asked to do collections calls on members of the armed forces on Thanksgiving Day which really isn't the right thing to do despite their justifications and it was a sad and horrifying experience. This is a company gone cult. The only thing missing is a chapel and an armory, but I'm sure they thought about it a few times.

Advice to Management

There's no point in giving advice because they know better than us mortals. They are not of this world.

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for the work. Great benefits. 8% 401k match w/ Roth option plus they add a small amount into your account each year

Cons

Call center environment if you don't like those, some favoritism in promotions, technology is horribly out of date, decisions can change at break neck speeds

Advice to Management

Update technology to current standards so software does not crash the computers

6. "USAA"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's USAA! What else do you need?

Cons

It can be stress full, and the expectation is excellence always.

"Excellent benefits, mediocre pay, great facilities. USAA is a great place if you want a boring career."

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office, plenty of amenities, get to work from my house occasionally, covered parking for everyone, a lot of company activities, very active in United Way and other charities. Work is relatively simple considering the benefits. 8% 401k match, health-care is on the upper level. Education benefit is 10k a year much higher than other companies. Anything over 5240 you just pay taxes on which is still cheaper than student loans. If you take the bonus into account the pay is more midrange for the industry. Lots of PTO you basically get 6 weeks of time off a year when all said and done. You can be a mediocre employee and have a long career here and you will get the bonus simply because you are an employee. They do care about the members at their core and 'is good for our members' is a common question used to decide on decisions so I will say without a doubt this company does care about the employee and the membership. They give you an hour amd a half meeting every week amd a half hour coaching each week so that you get time off the phones. They don't time your calls so you can take as long as needed to complete the transaction (this has some drawbacks though). They don't have quotas to fill but you do follow a benchmark that you must meet. It's nice because the numbers are based off the floor average instead of a magic number management made up in their million meetings so you expectations are more realistic. If you get a good manager you can move up and get a lot of privileges. Managers all get handed side projects amd if you're lucky they'll give you time off the phones to pawn it off on you (most people here are.okay with that because it gets you off the phones). You get to be a member from day one as an employee and the insurance while expensive is the best in the industry. The company brings in foodtrucks and has cultural events monthly so if you get a chance to go it is a fun little break in your day. They give money to each team annually so they can pay for team outings, potlucks, and recognition awards. They have a gym, physical therapist, massage therapist, and health clinic all on site. They are very HR conscious so if you need fmla, short or long term disability you won't need to fear losing your job even if you go over. They will not fire you unless you commit fraud, cuss out a member or dodge calls or something like that.

Cons

USAA is a gigantic slow moving ship. Change happens a lot but it takes years to get any substantial changes done. They tweak medial processes and celebrate like they did something huge when in fact the system is still broken. VERY POLITICAL. If you aren't friends with people in high places you aren't going anywhere. I have a masters degree and I make 19 bucks an hour plucking at auto loans and that is very common here. They encourage you to reach out to anyone at director level or higher if you see something of significance but if you do, you will get blown off and your manager will ostracize you. They will sell you on their perks and make you think you've entered career nirvana. Once the coolaid hangover wears off you'll quickly realize its a technological dinosaur being managed by 5000 managers who have been there since the dawn of time and don't want to lose their cushy jobs. USAA likes flash so it makes things shiny on the outside and when you start to see how it runs, it's clear it's outdated and on its last leg. The IT team is a joke. USAA doesn't outsource their external call centers to India or Guatemala but they do it to their internal call centers so as an employee if you have issues you'll pick up the phone and get someone named amir with a terrible accent who will read a script to you and basically blow you off. instead of streamlining operations USAA likes to hire more people. It's great for the career economy but it's bad for USAA's preferred model. They claim to look out for their members but they do this by pressuring their employees to sell sell sell. They 'do not pay commission' amd they use this as a selling point to get members to trust them but you will still be pressured to sell, but you will have nothing to show for the sale other than a pat on the back which last time I checked doesn't pay the bills. In Phoenix will WILL work in a call center. Thats all it is. San Antonio and Phoenix are rivals so you won't want to move to San Antonio to advance but if you stay in Phoenix the best you can hope for is to be a manager of a call center team which at USAA is actually a great gig if you just want to coast and collect a big paycheck. The managers know it's easy money so they all stay and never ever leave so you will interview 10 times internally for advancement and you likely won't get it. There are 3500 employees in Phoenix and 3000 of them are on the phones AND THEY ALL WANT OFF. So you will fall into the application abyss every time a job opening comes up. Of you're really ambitious and cutthroat you'll promote in 3-5 years. If you idle you'll promote in 10. A lot of these negative comments are really the result of unimaginative, stagnant, lifers who have crawled their way up to middle management. Most people in leadership started their careers here so they have no concept of how the outside world works. There's no outside input. If you come from the outside (which I did) and have a mind for improvement and experience in process improvement know that they will stick you on the phones and brainwash the heck out of you until all you know is the USAA way. If you aspire to do big things with your career and want to move.up don't start your career here. Go to a faster paced company knock out. Your five year plan get the high title then apply for the high level jobs here DONT BECOME AN AGENT, ASSOCIATE, SPECIALIST, OR SENIOR OF ANY KIND you will be stuck on the phones for years. If you are not applying for an analyst, manager, or director job you'll be happy for about a year and then find yourself praying for the clouds to open up and free you. Once you a are truly off the phones (there are several jobs they say are off the phones but they aren't) you'll find USAA a good place to be. If you like the phones go somewhere else. The pressure is the same and the jobs are all the same and at least at other companies you can earn incentive pay and make more than your base. USAA tends to overcorrect. They give you slack and let things coast and give you the impression that what your doing is fine then months later someone high up the food chain gets an itch and all of a sudden they crack down hard and micromanage the living daylights out of you and it feels like you got sucker punched. They let a procedure get lax and then one day it becomes a compliance issue and you'll get punished for every time you practiced it, even if it happened when nobody cared about the procedure.

Advice to Management

Let your employees guide you about what's important. After a short time in management you lose touch with the day to day and need them to refresh your memories. Stop fixing the little processes and start looking at the big ones. Go take seminars or shadow other companies. You've been at USAA so long you forget there are other successful companies out there who have better processes and we are not the latest and greatest in everything. We know you did this job back in the day but we also see you wouldn't go back to it for anything in the world so don't act like we're just ungrateful employees who don't know how good we have it. We are aware how good we have it that's why we don't just up and quit. Dont think that just because the general processes work that there isn't more room for improvement. Leverage your employees to help make the processes better. Please listen to us. We want what's best for us and the membership too. It sounds like we're griping but we care. Stop overcorrecting. Make smooth simple tactical changes instead of going from one extreme to the other. Don't micromanage us. If you can't trust us to do our jobs and do them right then you shouldn't have hired us to begin with. Don't get comfortable. Always stay hungry for better your stagnant attitude and desire to maintain the status quo is Obvious to us and it hurts our morale because we think there's no hope it will get better. Please promote your talent we have Stregnths and abilities outside of our 5 step job and are chomping at the bit to help.

8. "Best Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits are great , location is great as well right off the highway

Cons

very demanding job , requires a lot of multitasking

"I DO NOT Recommend this Position"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster III in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster III in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work culture and mission, beautiful location, wonderful coworkers, on site cafeterias, gym, health clinic, and other amenities.

Cons

I do not recommend this position for anyone. The work is overwhelming and stressful for a 40k annual salary. The amenities are wonderful but you're so overworked that you have no time to enjoy them. Lunches are 35 min which give you no time to do anything and you're constantly rushing all over the place. To stay ahead of the job and in good position you MUST work overtime which is not mandatory but this can be stressful especially for someone with family obligations. There's very little room for growth into higher positions because the company creates "temporary assignments" that allow you to volunteer a position w/ no increase in pay but it's more for experience. The benefit of that is USAA getting the services they need in house without paying for it. Very wrong in my opinion. It's such a great company because of the mission and services but the talk of annual bonuses and all the fluff they try to pacify you with is not worth the stress all year long.

Advice to Management

Increase base salary for employees. People are struggling to live and the annual bonuses do not help people all year long especially because the IRS takes most if it. Allow longer lunches (1 hr)...35 min is not enough time for someone to destress and enjoy the beautiful culture of USAA after such stressful work. Create positions for employees to actually promote into management and higher positions not temporary assignments, that's just wrong.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career ladder, entire firm is focused on making a positive impact in their members lives. Their sales practices are modeled in a way to help insure that the right solutions are being matched with the right product. Overall, their members love the firm and, despite the fact that they partially underpay, their employees still feel valued.

I'm a past employee and regret leaving. The firms that are in competition within the investment industry don't care as much about their customers. They care more about their bottom dollar. USAA's corporate board is ahead of the industry in their focus. Obviously, there's a focus on earning money. It's a private company. There's also a focus on insuring their customers and employees feel appreciated and are taken care of. The benefits are industry leading. Literally the best benefits within the entire financial sector. 100% match up to 8% 401k match is insane. If you consider the pay differential, I honestly believe that 8% makes up for it when most other firms brag about a 50% 401k match up to such a point.

2 year vestment is risky, as well.

Their training is fantastic. Literally 6 months of training for some positions because they value their employees doing the job they're hired for, well.

Their systems you work on are easy to use and easy to understand once you get the hang of it. They don't have their website go down or big scandals.

Overall, love the company and plan on going back eventually.

Cons

Under market pay, politics plays a role in your promot-ability. You're in a call center. If there's no opportunity to promote, you can't promote. When a coveted opportunity opens up, hundreds of internal applicants apply and the connections they've made within the company play a role in their chances of getting the job.

All obvious things that impact every firm that's as large as it is.

Advice to Management

There ought to be a focus on getting the right candidate for every job. Overcoming politics is a hurtle that ought to be paid attention to. Just because you know someone who says that you're great, doesn't mean you're superior to other candidates. If there was a meet and greet for every position with over 50 internal applicants, it could be valuable.

"Eh"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Annual bonus and benefits

Cons

Not competitive salary wise.

Advice to Management

Get managers that are professional and respected in the industry.

Showing 220 of 1,832 reviews