USAA Claims Adjuster Reviews | Glassdoor

USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The call center environment can bring stress when it is super busy" (in 317 reviews)

• "Work life balance is a little lacking" (in 76 reviews)

"great company"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work. lots of opportunity

Cons

none that i can think of

2. "Property Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, facilities, on site gym, on site day care, cafeteria.

Cons

call center, some management show favoritism. It's ran like a kindergarten, ribbons, snack cart, balloons during MSR appreciation week.

Advice to Management

Treat people like adults and they'll work their buts off for you.

3. "Great benefits, but not worth the cost."

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits to include great retirement options with a very high match, amazing paid time off, on-site gym, medical, dental, vision and on-site health clinic with physical therapy. The list of benefits is larger but none that are beneficial to me since I don't have a family. They have an open door policy that lives up to its word.

Cons

Call center career that is all consuming. The majority of the week consists of back to back calls that with not even a second of a break in-between calls ( this is not an exaggeration ). The position I am in requires time for investigation, needless to say, that time is never available unless one works overtime to get it all done. This job title does the work of 2 positions at competing companies. All the benefits are just a smokescreen to keep employees content with their underpaid and overworked position.

Advice to Management

The advice and concerns given by the employees on the ground, seem to fall on deaf ears at some point up the chain.

"Auto Adjuster"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, great facilities, education benefits, fantastic mission.

Cons

They've lost their way. It's less about the membership and more about making the dollar. They have decent benefits, but the health insurance plan is pretty poor for a company of their size. Prepare to be micro managed. Heavily. Additionally, their pay is not competitive. They recently did a 'pay review' because they weren't competitive. They offered me a 2.5% raise, which is more than what they offered most. I looked into my total compensation and they were including the recreational facilities into my total compensation. Long story short, I recently left for a competitor with a 24% pay increase, after factoring in bonuses.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth. New hires should not be making more than they people training them. I like the gym, but it costs $1100.00 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in this city, I don't want you to factor rec facilities it into my pay. Good luck, I know you'll do the right thing. I just don't have the time or financial situation to wait for you to do it.

"AA2"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

bonus, education paid for, work from home opportunities.

Cons

poor leadership, toxic environment, very little entry level advancement opportunities

"Jobs hidden by smoke and mirrors"

Current Employee - Total Loss Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Total Loss Claims Adjuster

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits!
    Amazing amenities!
    Top company to work for!

Cons

Total loss is absolutely horrible. If you want to be screamed at, cursed at, degraded, and belittled by members and claimants. It’s the perfect job! You’re gonna be yelled at with all of the above and mostly because the complacent coworker before you screwed up and you can’t fix it bc it’s against their policy and the companies policy. They do not pay enough for the abuse you will get. You’re tied to a phone and every minute of your day is monitored and regimented. Everyone around you is miserable and has seem to given up bc they need the job. Management won’t listen to ideas to fix the issues despite saying their all about innovation. They hide these miserable call center positions by offering amazing amenities like a quiet room where you can actually nap on your break or the energizer room with ellipticals and energy drinks. A Starbucks on campus and a great cafeteria but it does not make up for the awful jobs and angry people you deal with. And don’t dare be late from break or lunch a couple times bc you’ll get put on corrective action plan, actually you’ll be put on a plan for just about anything you do wrong and 2 strikes and you’re gone!! Doesn’t matter how well you do 98% of the time, that 2% will get you fired. Oh and if you’re a disabled vet that needs accommodations due to you’re disability, they’ll say they’ll help you and then you find out you’re getting “punished” and a group of people who have no qualifications to do so will decide whether or not you actually deserve these accommodations. The training is a joke. They train you for what feels like forever and then once your get deeper in the job, you realize it’s far more complicated than they’re training you for and they throw you on the phones and just feed you to the wolves. You have no idea what each call will entail with complicated issues that you can’t fix anyway and asking for help is an even bigger joke because they’ll say, “use your resources from training” which is a 20 page binder of crap that doesn’t make sense and a website that just tells state regulations that make it even more complicated and all the never wants is what they paid for but bc of their policy, they’re screwed and you get the pleasure of telling them no over and over, hence this is where the anger and berating begins...if they didn’t start out angry bc the ppl before you did things wrong. Think twice about promoting out of a job or into a new one. You have to wait 12
    Months from the time you graduate training and then apply, people want out of their jobs so bad that hundreds apply for the same job and you’re lucky if they even glance at your application. Any moves that are slightly obtainable are lateral and still call center positions with horrible calls and the same pay. Promoting is so highly spoken of yet absolutely impossible if you don’t meet their exact mold of what they want for the position. So think twice whether or not you want to work for a company who does that to their own vets/military, punishes and fires you for just about anything they want, and tell you they make and take calls to help people but when it comes down to it...you will take call after call after call and expected to just “deal” with the members and not help them all while being humiliated, degraded, belittled, called names, and cursed at for a comp y who could care less about you and when/if you leave, whether by choice or not, just fill your position with another poor soul who has no idea what they’re in for! Good luck!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Ensure people are doing their job correctly the first time to save the next person who answers the phone from all the bs that people say. Train people better...far better! If you’re gonna invest all this money into each person, do whatever you can to hold on to them. Accommodate the disabled, don’t punish for having a disability. Quit hiding behind the company and have compassion for your employees. Quit playing everything by the book and realize that life happens. I have much much more to say to management that just isn’t appropriate here, but it all boils down to employees not being valued for who they are and why they bring to the company. They’ll just replace you.

"Non-Injury Auto Adjuster"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, co-workers, onsite chick fa la, (workout facilities) but there's no time to use them, sense you only have two 20 minute breaks and a 35 minute lunch. No other benefits with this job.

Cons

Before I start I just want to be clear that this job is considered a burnout job and there goal when they hire you is hype you up as much as possible about USAA and wants you to remain as a Non-Injury Auto Adjuster as long as you possibly can. In order to get promoted as USAA you have to make multiple lateral moves or you can go to Auto Injury Claims which that job in itself is a dead end job. The pay is horrible in both non injury and Injury claims. Other insurance companies pay their non injury adjuster Adjuster 10K-15K dollars more that USAA's injury auto claims adjusters. USAA knows that but could care less because they know they are kings in a poor city like San Antonio. They are also combining the old Total loss claims adjuster job with non injury auto claims. With no pay increase!!! Many adjusters were livid but claims leadership told us that if we don't answer the calls we will be fired. Management micromanages to the extreme. They know when you go to the restroom, when you're off the call, they can hear you eating even if you're not on a call because they can hear everything through your microphone. This job causes so much anxiety and depression that its crazy! I got yelled at for going to the restroom for 12 minutes while I was scheduled to be on the "phones". This job is impossible to do if you have a family because you have to work way more than 40 hours a week to do this job. The average lifespan of an adjuster at USAA is 2-3 years. If you don't get out by then, then you're stuck in that job. I would not recemonded this job to my worst enemy. Please if you have any other options do not take this job!!! I repeat.. Do not take this job! They will lure you in with no "benefits" or "onsite gyms" but there is zero time to use them. It's all an illusion and once they got you they will destroy your dreams and everything you wanted to build with your career.. If you do decide to take this God for saken job then may God have mercy on your soul. Good luck.

Advice to Management

There's so much yall need to change it's not even funny. Management could care less about the poor claims adjusters and their families. Stuart Parker needs to be fired and replaced. Peace out my fellow Glassdoor people!

8. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, leaders encourage growth, lots of support when struggling plus a Starbucks and gym on campus.

Cons

It is a call center environment and there are back to back calls

"Auto Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual dress code, free gym and close to home.

Cons

Leadership, hiring ex police officers that have admitted to states attorney office that they sexual harassed someone at their previous job. Over worked and under paid. Favoritism versus job knowledge for promotions.

Advice to Management

Consistency and hire management that will live by the mission and core values.

10. "Seems great"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits start day one..everybody seems nice like they really care..education pay for tuition up to 10000 401k match 8 % ..its more but dont wanna type anymore..feel like it was a great option

Cons

None yet still in training..seems too good to be true

Advice to Management

None yet it seems cool..still in training though