USAA Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Stuart Parker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Disappointed in Directorship of Data & Analytics in San Antonio"

Current Employee - Senior Information Solutions Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Information Solutions Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice gym, fair parking, fair grounds, bus service
    Cafeterias are fair
    Fair benefits, but they forget to mention you must be on board as of 1 Jan or no bonus

Cons

Superficial interest in work life balance
    Instead of 19% bonus for doing our job, how about returning funds to members by lowering premiums., instead of raising membership premiums to cover employee 19% bonus and Director bonus
    Greed abounds at USAA

Advice to Management

Greed abounds. USAA terminates employees as they near 55 retirement age to avoid paying retirement and lifetime premiums. One former employee won 1.3 million settlement for being terminated as he approached retirement age. Spoke with scores of former employees terminated before they reached retirement age. Many filed lawsuits that membership is now paying their settlements.

"DONT DO IT!"

Current Employee - Banking in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Banking in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with about 8/10 who hate the place as much as you do
    Ok hourly pay
    Deers on campus
    Nice cafeteria staff
    Bonuses

Cons

If you like to have any type of voice of your own stay away. Managers will take you and rip you to shreads, had one person throw in the towel today on our floor saying they have attempt suicide twice in the past year since working for this hell hole. Personally have been dignosed with anxiety and depression after only working with the company for going on 2 year/ have took 2 Ltd because of my depression that’s the only reason I’ve lasted. Managers are so condescending! Will push it on you to sale and transfer members if the screen tells you the need it they need it. Usaa will say they’re above all but yet coming from a bank who is a competitor/ corporate bank. Usaa shoved the exact same things down the members thoat now just as much a corporate bank. But the only thing is Usaa don’t give you commission for it. Once you got the sales part down You just get you manager to nit pick at something else other than your “transfers” / “opportunities” (sales). Such as the fact that if one day you got to really have to “GO” (to the bathroom, or have a call to take) and if you happen to take more than 7 mins to do so you have to go in and report UNSCHEDULED PTO!!!! Anytime it’s a occurrence coming back from brake 1 mins late is a “OCCURENCE” computer taking to long to load up or log onto phone system lags and you start taking late by 2 mins the times is a occurence.
    If you want to move up in a company don’t go to the Call center! People have been stuck on phone for 5+ years DONT DRINK THE KOOLAID THEY GIVE YOU WHEN BEING HIRED ABOUT YOU BEING ABLE TO MOVE ANYWHERE AT 1 year! Seems like a lot of job postings but in reality just there to take up space you really have to know someone or pull stings to get anywhere with this company. Also don’t plan on having a work/life balance even in protective leave you’ll get questioned

Advice to Management

Stop with the power trips. Your no better than your employee
    Actually do something about all those unsatisfactory reviews you have on connect! Fix it don’t over look it!!! I see the turn over rate to drop dramatically sooner than later!
    More work at home opportunities
    Get rid of the bad managers that only got there because of the family they have in Usaa!
    Do just say you’ve heard our request for a better work life balance and add some new tool we can use that you le manager won’t even let you use or get mad at you for using because everyones on a different page and we only go based of what our manger THINKS

"Consumer Lending"

Former Employee - Consumer Lending Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Consumer Lending Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good insurance benefits, nice facilities

Cons

Management unresponsive to employee complaints in an environment of sexual harassment and unprofessional workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Sales are not everything. Letting bad conduct take place and go without reprimand or counseling will continue to erode the trust of employees and members. I hope recent events and their outcomes will elicit a more proactive approach to complaints of sexual harassment at USAA. I worked there about 8 months and in that short time there were several complaints about sexual harassment just on my team. (one that ended in a termination) That cannot be normal!Certainly in my long career in corporate America I felt it was unusual to have that many problems with employees conduct. When I personally complained to HR about nothing being done on a complaint of harassment against someone on my team, HR hid behind the fact that the complaint had been made anonymously and did not even pretend that something was being done about it. To my knowledge the offending party is still employed at USAA. Enough is enough, I hope more women are coming forward in the workplace saying just that.

"Moving on"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Networking and seeing what I do not want.

Cons

Too many to name, just do not buy into the marketing hype, they really do not care about military or vets.

Advice to Management

Fire horrible managers that have zero military background and treat female veterans terrible!

"Only if you want to drink the koolaid"

Former Employee - Auto Adjuster III in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Auto Adjuster III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses? But even then that's why other companies have a higher base pay. They will pay a good portion towards college so you can apply somewhere else. :)

Cons

Micromanagement. Very difficult to advance. You better have a masters degree if you want them to even look at you after being hired. Management thinks of you as an expensive license and not a person. You have to work endless OT for them to take notice. Back to back to back call center environment. Literally terrible. Apply anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Jump on the phones. I dare you.

"USAA is not a place you want to work"

Former Employee - CSA Tier I in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - CSA Tier I in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big Campus, if you get lucky you can be a non-outsourced job!

Cons

So much contractor outsourcing. I word the T1 help desk, internal IT. Guess what USAA Members and employees, that's run by HCL, the same HCL of Disney fame.

Advice to Management

Employ EMPLOYEES not contractors.

"Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like being on anti-anxiety meds and being in therapy then this is the place for you! Stay out of claims which is where the stress is; supposedly the bank is less stressful.

Cons

USAA needs to go to 21st century HR training. Please read the advice to management to get a good idea of what is going on.

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing everything. Stop micro managing, stop the visual management (it's causes gossip). The attitude of "we'll hire someone else to take you're place because guess what? There's 20 more people ready to take your place." Yes, from the mouth of an HR person, JUST STOP!! Because that's not true.
    The workload is crippling. The evaluation portion of what I am doing to make me a better person is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! !!!

8. "Worse bank to bank with."

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

None they screw their customers

Cons

Worse bank ever I had more complaint this year from my soldiers. The mess is then they have to wait a month to get their money back.

Advice to Management

Respect your customers.

"Avoid!!! Unless you just want to earn a license"

Former Employee - Auto Liability Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Auto Liability Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were regular people. Most were cool, although the place is seething in machismo...maybe that's a military trait, but either way I experienced sexism on numerous occasions

Cons

Well the sexism, obviously. Also the lack of work life balance. They expect your blood, sweat and tears in ridicoulsly long hours...and then demand you be grateful. Now I work somewhere using the license I earned at usaa, but I'm not in call center hell and I have REAL life/work balance

Advice to Management

People will always respect leaders more than a boss. Lead by example and get in the trenches with the rest of us if you actually want our respect.

"Insurance agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Benefits. That's about it. If it wasn't for the benefits, I'd consider quitting. Unfortunately, it's the best you'll find in salary and benefits in San Antonio.

Cons

Everything else.It's Sunday and I don't want to go back to work tomorrow. This has been the worst year of my life and I want to quit. Same old concrete building stealing my happiness away every day and with every call I have to answer having the same damn three conversations with no incentive to have the conversations. There is little color in my life right now because of this job. I can't wait to leave this stupid city that has no opportunity. It's nearly impossible to move to a better job. If you want to, it will take you YEARS. So, take this as advice- do not take a job with them if you will be on the phone and think you'll move on to a better job after a year. You won't get off of the phone for YEARS if you're lucky. Oh and also you will not get off time around holidays if you're new. You will be a slave to them.

Advice to Management

Advocate for employees so that that don't feel they are just cattle answering phones with no where to go.

Showing 191 of 2,215 reviews