USAA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stuart Parker

Pros
Cons
  • Growth opportunities outside of call center environment are limited unless in Texas headquarters (in 232 reviews)

• Long work hours, work life balance is said but not truly giving consideration (in 53 reviews)

"Financial Foundations Associate - Property Casualty Insurance"

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, great co-workers & members

Cons

It is a call center job where the priority is cross-selling not service first and then cross-sell. Non-stop calls with set breaks and limited opportunity for professional development and advancement. If all you need is a job it will work, but if you have options and do not want to be attached to a phone with constant pressure to cross-sell no matter what. Look at other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Prioritize service and additional product uptake will be organic. Your employees want to cross-sell, but also want to properly service the members. High turnover will continue unless you start treating your employees as true human resources.

"Many changes in the negative direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health benefits and retirement benefits (these are the main thing that keep me here now)

Cons

-inconsistency in management styles. What is "meeting expectations" under one manager is often "exceeding expectations" under a different manager. This impacts employees pay and the small amount of opportunities available for advancement.
    -The company as a whole puts too much authority in the hands of individual managers that really should have a set of guidelines in place with Human Resources.
    -There is very little room for advancement. I have worked with employees who have been with the company for DECADES with no true advancement. Only lateral job changes. I, myself, have been turned down for advancement but then required to train the individuals who were chosen over me to do the job.
    -Too much favoritism and office politics that hinder individual growth.
    -Unrealistic goals and metrics to meet. These metrics also change regularly, allowing employees to fail due to inconsistent and overwhelming expectations.
    -Unrealistic minimum requirements for entry level positions. The job I initially took here 12 years ago at $12.50 an hour now requires a a bachelors degree. A bachelors degree is not needed to answer a phone, provide an auto quote and up sell other products. (Side-note- if you are not amazing at sales at all then no area of the company that deals with customer contact will be a good fit for you)
    -Though the company boasts a good work/life balance, that is not true. If you have not worked for the company for at least a decade or more then you will have an extremely difficult time taking time off for personal matters. Also, if you work in one of the call centers you do not leave when you are scheduled to. For example, I am supposed to end my shift at 6pm. However, I usually leave around 6:30 to 7:00 pm due to last minute calls and a requirement to stay and help clear any call queue that may be in place. This means they actively take my personal time away from me to do work for them but make it difficult for me to take time off to handle personal matters.
    Depending on the department you're in, training is sub par and creates employee frustration both for new hires who did not receive adequate training and tenured employees who are left to correct errors and do "on the job training" with new hires to prevent further errors.

Advice to Management

-Work together to become consistent in management skills. The expectations and "grading" of one persons work should be the same for all others in that department and skill set.
    -Make goals realistic-
    - Don't nitpick the small things. There is already so much information, laws, guidelines and call structures that we must follow that are overwhelming on their own that we do NOT need added pressure over small infractions like not saying made up scripts by managers word for word. These are not required by the company and the members do not like it either. They say it makes us sound robotic

"Don't drink the Koolaid"

Former Employee - Member Solutions Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Member Solutions Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits available the day of hire. Great PTO procedures. Wonderful buildings with amazing security. Great cafeterias and break rooms. Free gym. Locker room, etc. Great training.

Cons

Micro-managed to the extreme. You are tied to your phone. Your breaks and lunches are scheduled for you. If you get stuck on the phone with a customer past your scheduled break town, that counts against you. If you go to the bathroom while you are scheduled to be on the phone, that counts against you. You get the feeling that you are just another number in literally tens of thousands of employees. I've heard that some managers are great but mine was horrible. You are supposed to have weekly "coaching" sessions. Mine was canceled 6 weeks in a row. I also received 0 support from my manager. He would have ME call back the people who requested to speak to a manager, he did not help me with questions that I had, only directed me elsewhere. I did not feel that I mattered in the least. At USAA they preach about how they care only about the military and their families that they do not "sale" and that is a lie. You are graded by how many times you offer a product. Meaning you are expected to offer a product EVERY phone call you receive. Yes, even someone who is just calling in to get a copy of their auto insurance card. The expectations for sales are too high and you are not offered commission to compensate for the pressure. Also, when you are hired, they paint a very pretty picture of how easy it is to move up and advance within the company. LIES. good luck. Good luck transferring to any job that is not phone based. They only offer those jobs in San Antonio. Any job posting you are literally competing with THOUSANDS of other candidates and favoritism is very obvious. Both my husband and my oldest brother are military and I wanted so badly to love it here. But I hated going to work every day. It was unbearable and I would never recommend working there to anyone that I loved.

Advice to Management

I literally wouldn't even know where to start.

"I DO NOT Recommend this Position"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster III in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster III in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work culture and mission, beautiful location, wonderful coworkers, on site cafeterias, gym, health clinic, and other amenities.

Cons

I do not recommend this position for anyone. The work is overwhelming and stressful for a 40k annual salary. The amenities are wonderful but you're so overworked that you have no time to enjoy them. Lunches are 35 min which give you no time to do anything and you're constantly rushing all over the place. To stay ahead of the job and in good position you MUST work overtime which is not mandatory but this can be stressful especially for someone with family obligations. There's very little room for growth into higher positions because the company creates "temporary assignments" that allow you to volunteer a position w/ no increase in pay but it's more for experience. The benefit of that is USAA getting the services they need in house without paying for it. Very wrong in my opinion. It's such a great company because of the mission and services but the talk of annual bonuses and all the fluff they try to pacify you with is not worth the stress all year long.

Advice to Management

Increase base salary for employees. People are struggling to live and the annual bonuses do not help people all year long especially because the IRS takes most if it. Allow longer lunches (1 hr)...35 min is not enough time for someone to destress and enjoy the beautiful culture of USAA after such stressful work. Create positions for employees to actually promote into management and higher positions not temporary assignments, that's just wrong.

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Insurance Specialist
    Current Employee - Insurance Specialist

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and limited tuition reimbursement. Good dependable work at a company that has offices in many different locations, along with several different areas to work in.

Cons

Company has changed drastically under new CEO. Hard sales even when you know that someone doesn't need the policy. It feels predatory and we are pushed HARD to sell, like Wells Fargo employees, down to the phrases we use. Salaries are lower than with competitors, and employees depend on the bonus to bring them closer. Company is fairly diverse at the entry level, but that changes drastically as you go up the chain.

Advice to Management

Go back to serving the military. Be better at the basics. Quit diluting your name by trying to be EVERYTHING. Quit trying to sell high interest rate credit as a financial tool and umbrella policies to people who cannot even afford their renters insurance.

"Wealth Advisor"

Current Employee - Colorado in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Colorado in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Good benefits, salaried advisor, tuition reimbursement, good place to gain education, experience

Cons

Hard to meet metrics, call volume, minimal raises, new CEO, sales goals, becoming less and less about the member and more about meeting sales goals/metrics

Advice to Management

USAA was a much better company under prior CEO, has moved more to a profit over people vs being more values based and member driven, USAA needs to rembrace the values of years prior that led to their success

"A lot of people who are in charge should not be"

Former Employee - Director of Compliance in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Compliance in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay
    Good benefits, not that great anymore
    Nice building

Cons

Management only looks out for itself
    Lots of bad moral

Advice to Management

Treat your people better.
    Management by fear is not management, it is assault.

"Rat race"

Pros

Conveniences: multiple cafeterias, Starbucks on site, free fitness centers, generous PTO plan......covered parking, potential to work from home although IT issues are a nightmare

Cons

Unmanageable workload- customer service expectations that are impossible to achieve given the workload. Current workforce is too small to keep up with the membership. Abusive members/customers

Advice to Management

Hire more employees in other locations. Open more regional locations if you really want a diverse workforce. Pay your frontline employees based off market trends & stop using the bonus as a way to get out of paying a proper salary.

"Claims Representative"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K plan is up to 8% matching, which is very generous for the industry. The gym facilities are nice and there is a good selection of on campus food and goods.

Cons

Employees at satellite offices and any customer contact employees are treated as completely disposable. These employees are monitored constantly and there is absolutely no trust between managers and those under them. USAA continuously refuses to staff appropriately for its growing membership and keeps piling more responsibilities onto already overworked employees.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to perform the job they were hired for instead of trying to bleed sales into all departments and refusing to allow customer contact employees time to return calls.

"Only good for kool-aid drinkers"

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really the only PROs were the Bonuses, extra PTO at the holidays, cafeteria had many selections, and the parking garage if you can find a spot when it snows.

Cons

In the call center, they run you into the ground with non stop, back to back phone calls. Unless you have a bachelor's degree, they only give you lateral promotions that don't give you a raise. Going into the retail banking dept you get paid lower than the insurance and if you transfer to insurance of auto circle you go through the grueling test to get to get licensed but then are never compensated for it. Things might be better at the San Antonio location but in Colorado Springs you're a nobody and unless you kiss major butt you won't go anywhere with the company and be stuck on the phones forever. You try to trust management but they throw everything back in your face later and use as reasons why you're a bad employee. You definitely don't want to have a mind or your own and not drink their kool-aid otherwise you'll be marked as a difficult employee, even if you're just trying to give them suggestions on how to make the place better. I had 6 manager changes in 5 years working there. They also have no problem letting people go over anything, including for people with FMLA pending or on short term disability. They are not a flexible company unless you happen to get one of the nicer managers, which is a rarity.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with your employees. Get them more times off the phones before the phone calls make their brains melt. Care more about your employees than kissing your boss' butt. Listen to your employees concerns and suggestions to actually make their lives better, which on turn will make the member experience better. Stop neglecting the retail banking. Everyone know insurance is the baby but unless it's the grand opening of retail banking at branch they are totally an after thought.

Showing 221 of 1,832 reviews