USAA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stuart Parker

Pros
Cons
  • Growth opportunities outside of call center environment are limited unless in Texas headquarters (in 232 reviews)

• Long work hours, work life balance is said but not truly giving consideration (in 53 reviews)

"Horrible treatment of long term employees"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Yearly bonus, training , cafeteria, gym

Cons

Hard to move to different departments unless you have a bachelors degree
    Cliques are ridiculous
    Nepotism
    Push for only younger than 35 yr olds

Advice to Management

Value longer term employees, chill out on the metrix a bit, all managers be consistent

2. "Financial Foundation Specialist"

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

End of the year bonus. Potlucks.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. Micromanagement. Very hard to get days off

Advice to Management

Leadership is not about a title or a designation. It's about impact, influence and inspiration. Impact involves getting results, influence is about spreading the passion you have for your work, and you have to inspire team-mates and customers.

"Mortgage Originations"

Former Employee - Mortgage Originator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Mortgage Originator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome Compound amenities.
    Pay commensurate or better than compatible corporate positions
    Good Training tools

Cons

Depending on your duties and position............Can be Mundane daily
    Some managers treat you as more of an inconvenience when more training may be needed.
    Disappointed to hear "Maybe this is not the place for you...." (Hint, maybe?)

Advice to Management

As management and styles can vary by individual and department, advice may or may not apply to all.
    As a whole though, Employees are customers, too. Treat them just as good as the customers you are trying to service. It will be a win, win. Hate to say, but "favorites" does seem to play a part.

"Call center robot"

Former Employee - Collector in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Collector in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome facility, wage was ok, but...

Cons

The culture is a sterile, plastic, over-polished, fake environment of FOX News zombies and wannabe patriots all pretending to have drank the company Kool aid. It's a high pressure call center environment where strict adherence to metrics, scripts and policies are enforced by constant monitoring. Any slight deviation from their recipe is cause for immediate counseling. All of which trainers and managers couldn't actually do themselves if they were in in the same position. You are expected to be logged in/out to your phone system within 59 seconds for start, end and breaks or you are questioned and counseled. You are on a relentless autodialer for 8 to 12 hours a day where your call handling time is expected to be 3 minutes or less, or you are counseled. Your ears will hurt to the slightest touch from wearing a headset and you will be stressed about the cult-like attitudes as they pretend to be passive about systematically firing your co-workers. They have a saying, "Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do." However, I've been asked to do collections calls on members of the armed forces on Thanksgiving Day which really isn't the right thing to do despite their justifications and it was a sad and horrifying experience. This is a company gone cult. The only thing missing is a chapel and an armory, but I'm sure they thought about it a few times.

Advice to Management

There's no point in giving advice because they know better than us mortals. They are not of this world.

"Excellent benefits, mediocre pay, great facilities. USAA is a great place if you want a boring career."

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office, plenty of amenities, get to work from my house occasionally, covered parking for everyone, a lot of company activities, very active in United Way and other charities. Work is relatively simple considering the benefits. 8% 401k match, health-care is on the upper level. Education benefit is 10k a year much higher than other companies. Anything over 5240 you just pay taxes on which is still cheaper than student loans. If you take the bonus into account the pay is more midrange for the industry. Lots of PTO you basically get 6 weeks of time off a year when all said and done. You can be a mediocre employee and have a long career here and you will get the bonus simply because you are an employee. They do care about the members at their core and 'is good for our members' is a common question used to decide on decisions so I will say without a doubt this company does care about the employee and the membership. They give you an hour amd a half meeting every week amd a half hour coaching each week so that you get time off the phones. They don't time your calls so you can take as long as needed to complete the transaction (this has some drawbacks though). They don't have quotas to fill but you do follow a benchmark that you must meet. It's nice because the numbers are based off the floor average instead of a magic number management made up in their million meetings so you expectations are more realistic. If you get a good manager you can move up and get a lot of privileges. Managers all get handed side projects amd if you're lucky they'll give you time off the phones to pawn it off on you (most people here are.okay with that because it gets you off the phones). You get to be a member from day one as an employee and the insurance while expensive is the best in the industry. The company brings in foodtrucks and has cultural events monthly so if you get a chance to go it is a fun little break in your day. They give money to each team annually so they can pay for team outings, potlucks, and recognition awards. They have a gym, physical therapist, massage therapist, and health clinic all on site. They are very HR conscious so if you need fmla, short or long term disability you won't need to fear losing your job even if you go over. They will not fire you unless you commit fraud, cuss out a member or dodge calls or something like that.

Cons

USAA is a gigantic slow moving ship. Change happens a lot but it takes years to get any substantial changes done. They tweak medial processes and celebrate like they did something huge when in fact the system is still broken. VERY POLITICAL. If you aren't friends with people in high places you aren't going anywhere. I have a masters degree and I make 19 bucks an hour plucking at auto loans and that is very common here. They encourage you to reach out to anyone at director level or higher if you see something of significance but if you do, you will get blown off and your manager will ostracize you. They will sell you on their perks and make you think you've entered career nirvana. Once the coolaid hangover wears off you'll quickly realize its a technological dinosaur being managed by 5000 managers who have been there since the dawn of time and don't want to lose their cushy jobs. USAA likes flash so it makes things shiny on the outside and when you start to see how it runs, it's clear it's outdated and on its last leg. The IT team is a joke. USAA doesn't outsource their external call centers to India or Guatemala but they do it to their internal call centers so as an employee if you have issues you'll pick up the phone and get someone named amir with a terrible accent who will read a script to you and basically blow you off. instead of streamlining operations USAA likes to hire more people. It's great for the career economy but it's bad for USAA's preferred model. They claim to look out for their members but they do this by pressuring their employees to sell sell sell. They 'do not pay commission' amd they use this as a selling point to get members to trust them but you will still be pressured to sell, but you will have nothing to show for the sale other than a pat on the back which last time I checked doesn't pay the bills. In Phoenix will WILL work in a call center. Thats all it is. San Antonio and Phoenix are rivals so you won't want to move to San Antonio to advance but if you stay in Phoenix the best you can hope for is to be a manager of a call center team which at USAA is actually a great gig if you just want to coast and collect a big paycheck. The managers know it's easy money so they all stay and never ever leave so you will interview 10 times internally for advancement and you likely won't get it. There are 3500 employees in Phoenix and 3000 of them are on the phones AND THEY ALL WANT OFF. So you will fall into the application abyss every time a job opening comes up. Of you're really ambitious and cutthroat you'll promote in 3-5 years. If you idle you'll promote in 10. A lot of these negative comments are really the result of unimaginative, stagnant, lifers who have crawled their way up to middle management. Most people in leadership started their careers here so they have no concept of how the outside world works. There's no outside input. If you come from the outside (which I did) and have a mind for improvement and experience in process improvement know that they will stick you on the phones and brainwash the heck out of you until all you know is the USAA way. If you aspire to do big things with your career and want to move.up don't start your career here. Go to a faster paced company knock out. Your five year plan get the high title then apply for the high level jobs here DONT BECOME AN AGENT, ASSOCIATE, SPECIALIST, OR SENIOR OF ANY KIND you will be stuck on the phones for years. If you are not applying for an analyst, manager, or director job you'll be happy for about a year and then find yourself praying for the clouds to open up and free you. Once you a are truly off the phones (there are several jobs they say are off the phones but they aren't) you'll find USAA a good place to be. If you like the phones go somewhere else. The pressure is the same and the jobs are all the same and at least at other companies you can earn incentive pay and make more than your base. USAA tends to overcorrect. They give you slack and let things coast and give you the impression that what your doing is fine then months later someone high up the food chain gets an itch and all of a sudden they crack down hard and micromanage the living daylights out of you and it feels like you got sucker punched. They let a procedure get lax and then one day it becomes a compliance issue and you'll get punished for every time you practiced it, even if it happened when nobody cared about the procedure.

Advice to Management

Let your employees guide you about what's important. After a short time in management you lose touch with the day to day and need them to refresh your memories. Stop fixing the little processes and start looking at the big ones. Go take seminars or shadow other companies. You've been at USAA so long you forget there are other successful companies out there who have better processes and we are not the latest and greatest in everything. We know you did this job back in the day but we also see you wouldn't go back to it for anything in the world so don't act like we're just ungrateful employees who don't know how good we have it. We are aware how good we have it that's why we don't just up and quit. Dont think that just because the general processes work that there isn't more room for improvement. Leverage your employees to help make the processes better. Please listen to us. We want what's best for us and the membership too. It sounds like we're griping but we care. Stop overcorrecting. Make smooth simple tactical changes instead of going from one extreme to the other. Don't micromanage us. If you can't trust us to do our jobs and do them right then you shouldn't have hired us to begin with. Don't get comfortable. Always stay hungry for better your stagnant attitude and desire to maintain the status quo is Obvious to us and it hurts our morale because we think there's no hope it will get better. Please promote your talent we have Stregnths and abilities outside of our 5 step job and are chomping at the bit to help.

"Claims Adjuster"

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Pay and the people your peers.

Cons

Upper management, workload, phone intensive

"Conservatively managed but can be slow at times"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

This is a company values its mission to serve the military community. USAA is an association and therefore the goal is to serve, and not to maximize profits. Every day you hear how one of the employees goes out of his or her way to help a member (i.e., customer) through financial counselling or in some cases, approving an emergency loan in times of stress.

USAA values work-life balance (for salaried employees... not so for call center employees - more on that below). Managers were encouraged to take a lunch break so to set an "example" for employees and not to work during lunch. In some areas, corporate laptops are phones are optional, so you do not have feel compelled to log on during off hours.

Cons

USAA is a conservatively managed company, and as such, decision-making is an arduous process. An initiative may take over a year to be implemented after going through different levels of approvals.

If you are interested in USAA as an hourly employee, beware! Due to high turnover and excessive call volume, USAA's call center employees are chained to their desks. Call center employees literally will get a call from their managers if they are away from their desks for more than 10 minutes. Lunch break is strictly limited at 30 minutes and it is enforced with an iron fist.

Advice to Management

Improve the decision-making process and reduce the levels of hoops one must go through to implement a strategy.

"Contact Center Ops Analysis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Yearly bonus but it is backed into what the salary already should be competitively.

Cons

Job was outsourced for cheap labor in Mexico and India. Company has USA in their name but I saw many vets who lost jobs to save a buck.

Advice to Management

Company is not what it was, everything is getting outsource at the price of quality and customer service.

"Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Income is decent, I believe there are some better paying jobs out there. But still decent.

Cons

Long work hours, work life balance is said but not truly giving consideration. People with kids or family's.

Advice to Management

Be more open

"member solutions specialist; glorified salesperson"

Former Employee - Member Solutions Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Member Solutions Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-annual bonuses were nice; 401k matching 8% is unheard of and i was able to build a nice nest egg; job stability; rolling out next day PTO

Cons

-boring call center job; no room for movement internally across departments; only room for advancement is to a manager position where you will have 5 times more responsibility but not the salary to match; you are basically a glorified salesperson here where you will be hounded to sell sell sell insurance and if you aren't a salesperson you probably wont advance; attendance is extremely strict you will hardly be able to use the bathroom; your manager will make the position tolerable or unbearable just hope you get a good one

Advice to Management

hire internally

Showing 405 of 1,828 reviews