USAA Reviews | Glassdoor

Stuart Parker

2,013 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"BE WARY ---- IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE --- IT IS"

Former Employee - Banking Specialist I in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Banking Specialist I in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The benefits and the pay.

Cons

Sell, sell, sell - even if someone was just calling in asking about charges, etc.... I actually was written up for not offering someone that was over $2,000 in the hole a CREDIT CARD!!! Talk about issuing someone a shovel when they are in the hole. I figured we would never get paid the arrears, and then to give them a credit card with a 5 grand limit ---- HELLO!

Advice to Management

Stop misleading people. When I was hired I was told face-to-face in the Bank. Instead, it was just a huge call center, bassically doing telemarketing. To date, whenever I have called in, no noe follows the "protocol" that was forced in my head in training.

"Either your in or not."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Benefits, peers, bonus, accured vacation time as tenure accrues

Cons

- certain management employees are cold, heartless and truely can take a USAA poster child and turn them against USAA.
    - Actually had a Senior Manager, say infront of certain unit employees... "I would never hire him... never no matter how many times he applied."
         as many times as we were coached to not talk about other employees out in non-confidential areas... specific managers/retired-directors said one thing and would do the opposite.

( I was brand new on the job) I called the manager hotline and got the manager across from my aisle. She answered the phone and placed me on hold for more than 1 minute to hold a personal conversation with another employee. What was so bad is they were laughing and talking about their dogs!!! This manager not even 3 months later saw an employee placing a member on hold to show a another employee their wedding plans in a magazine. She saw them and the agent was placed on corrective action, potentially jeopardizing their bonus.

Like I said ... Do as I say, Don't do as I do.

Oh and one more thing. At least with BOB Davis he kept it real. If he wasn't happy he didn't act like it and put on a front. Gen. Robles, well he is great a warm fuzzies and then stabing you ever so quickly like a ninja in the back. "We will not close. Our financials are strong and we are here to lead the industry."

Well, less than 18 months later... where is Norfolk, VA? 85% closed down.

Advice to Management

If you truely mean to empower and produce a real new era type of management style... RETIRE the ones that WON'T change. It really hurts your orginzation and really affects your retention rate.

"Managers refuse to take calls from upset callers"

Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great Benefits
    Great Pay Huge Christmas Party IF you work at the headquarters in San Antonio Texas
    Great Co Workers

Cons

Worked in Regional Services (San Antonio Call Center)

Managers refuse to get on the phones when busy!

Managers sit at desk and chat about personal things on phone with other managers

Only low Reps get on phones so know one in management knows what its like (they were on the phones 10+ years ago before everything changed)

Coach you one way one week and different the next

Everyone acts like they like it at work but outside how much they hate it

Advice to Management

Make managers get on the phones when it is busy and take calls so that they understand how and what to coach. They can't and don't understand what it is like just by listening to calls!!!

"Compliance"

Current Employee - Director, Compliance in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director, Compliance in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Bonus and relatively good beni's package

Cons

No work life balance. Leadership does not promote talent.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to take care of your people.

"Need Managers to get with it. They do not realize what the job is that you have to do."

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Tampa, FL

Pros

Decent pay but medical benefits needs to be more employee friendly. Less out of pocket expense to employees even if they have to pay more for coverage. Medical insurance plan only pays a portion of the doctors visits and then you have to pay the additional $80.00 or more per visit that the plans does not cover. Of course they do give you a debit card with $1000.00 but that can be used up quickly if you have to pay $80.00 per visit off the card, then it comes out of pocket.

Cons

Managers are not available when you need them. They do not want to take any calls when members request to speak with them. They are hateful and need to be trained on how to speak with their employees. They need to take calls so that they know what their employees have to deal with on a day to day basic. Stress level due to poor managers relations is very high.

Advice to Management

Need to put frontline managers on phones so that they realize what employees have to deal with. Need to have so training to how to speak with their employees, they are very hateful and rude. I feel the Joe Robles cares about the employees and does not know what we have to deal with from the frontline managers.

"Do Not Work Here!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Benefits, and how much you are paid

Cons

Stress Stress Stress, you are not told about the fact that say you are sick two days in a row, both days count against you. You are not told when hired how strict they are with their expectations. You have to be a yes person to work here, if you question anything you are asked to do then it goes against you

Advice to Management

Be honest with people that are looking to work here, had I known what I know now I would have stayed at my old job. This place is .....

"Favoritism Abounds"

Current Employee - Procedure Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Procedure Specialist in San Antonio, TX

Pros

good for college kids who want to make their car payment.

Cons

Micromanagers, Managers (most) are unethical & they play favorites.

Advice to Management

Review middle-mgmt.They need training (on how to treat staff). "360`feedback/evaluations" would go a long way in improving morale.

"Noble Mission To Serve Our Noble Members Has Become All About Numbers NOT People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I was Honored to serve our military members and their families. I loved helping those who served our country every day.

Cons

Six years ago USAA had it right. Taking care of the members and offering sensible solutions. It has now dissolved into a numbers game where employees are so scared to lose their jobs they will offer ridiculous products to poor members who can't even afford to pay their insurance bill. So many employees are out on fmla due to stress and so many more have left that I fear service to our members will become terrible very soon. I thank GOD I left months ago because of the stress levels there. I found a job with much better pay and am treated like a human being again not a money making monkey. For Gods sakes stay away from USAA!!!!

Advice to Management

I never had a problem with any of my managers. "Things" trickle down hill so to speak so I blame the company shift from the best company to work for to one of the worst on the greedy board of directors and senior management. Enough said no one will listen anyway.

"I got a headache just thinking about USAA"

Former Employee - Bank Call Center Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Bank Call Center Representative in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great benefits and decent pay.

Cons

This is the most stressful company I have ever worked for. Everything is about your numbers and you can literally get reprimanded for going to the restroom. We are people, not machines. Its very discouraging to see management playing "putt putt golf" in the office and laughing out load while the frontline reps are struggling with member calls.

Advice to Management

Calm down! Employees are not trying to "slack off" when we leave our desks. We just need to briefly catch our breath before we drown in the sea of calls.

"Insurance Indentured Servant"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Tampa Palms, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Tampa Palms, FL

Pros

Very respectable customer base, very nice bonus, some amicable coworkers, nice campus, some good managers, tuition reimbursement, and plenty of time off accruable.

Cons

Work schedules are less than desirable. It takes years to get a better schedule and new employees are given the worst ones. Actually getting time off to take care of personal issues, take vacation, service your vehicle, or recouperate from an illness is next to impossible. The latter of these issues causes the majority of employees to come to work sick and spread their ailment to everyone in the office making our toiling that much more unbearable. Seeing family, taking a nice vactation, or enjoying any of the seasons on Earth becomes a distant memory once you start work here. Don't expect to ever leave at your scheduled time, either. You'll probably still be on the phone. If you're late to work, you get penalized but if you're kept late, no one cares...

Training is done by people who have not done the job you were hired to do in years, almost decades. The training material is outdated and extremely mind-numbing. You are taught only a little about what you will do in your position and more about what you should not do (or get fired for doing, leaving you with little feeling of job security). The company has grown by 2 million plus members but staffing levels are the same. If you like taking back, to back, to back, to back calls without end and no time to do the work that you are told to do, you will love it here. The phone doesn't ring, the customer just ends up on the line as soon as you release the previous call. If you can't do the work assigned, it's your fault, not the fact that the company is understaffed by three digits worth of employees. This contributes to the lack of time that can be contributed to an investigation, conversation, or even the profitability of the company (bonuses). You are expected to sell, sell, sell the company products with very little knowledge of anything other than what your department might be associated with. Little to no time is given to learn more about the company and what it has to offer, so how can we refer products we know nothing about. Much of this reflects upon your raise, which is substandard for the industry.

If you want to do any professional activities, such as college courses, insurance training courses, etc., you'd better have plenty of your own personal time set aside and plenty of time off accrued (if you can even get the time off scheduled).

We are in the 21st Century...indentured servitude and slavery ended over a century ago...

As previous posts will note, the company loses good employees because of the lack of advancement and the extreme micro-management that takes place. If executives would open their eyes and their minds, they would see the present staffing issues, the antiquated time-off policies, and general poor work environment and start changes that would bring the company up to date with modern society.

Just like automobiles, all the advertisements, flashy dealerships, inflated monkeys, propaganda, and mis-represented surveys can make the vehicle look like it's reliable, well-priced, and fun to drive, but once you buy that vehicle, you'll find out just how mis-leading someone else's opinion can be. Come with a back-up plan or a good shrink...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the needs of your employees, give them time to do their job, hire more employees, be there when needed, stop feeding us propaganda and be honest, hire more employees, let the adjusters handle their claims, stand up for your employees, share your knowledge of claims (if you have it), hire more employees...

Showing 2,013 of 2,127 reviews