USAA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,066 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Auto Claims don’t even have time to do our job"

Current Employee - Non-Injury Auto Adjuster
    Current Employee - Non-Injury Auto Adjuster

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits of course, but pay is not competitive for position and workload. Bonuses are nice but not guaranteed. Our site manager is hilarious and genuinely a very nice man and leader. I genuinely love this company, which is why I am so sad to see it taking this downturn after working there for so many years. (5+).

Cons

In non-injury auto claims it has been back to back calls for most of this past year. You HAVE to work overtime in order to keep up with your 160+ claims. However, they recently made it so you have to work overtime from 6-7am and weekends if you want to work on your own files, all other overtime Monday through Friday is taking calls only. We are “supposedly” given an hour a day to work on our own claims, but how is that enough time to do a thorough investigation on that many claims? Plus that hour gets eaten up every time you have a call that runs into or over your scheduled break time. So in reality it’s closer to 30mins a day is all. Logically, how do you expect adjusters to handle their claims (which would reduce call backs from members if we had time to handle them properly) when we aren’t given the time to do it. Even if we are willing to do OT, which we pretty much have to be, now we cannot work on our own stuff unless we come in at 6am! Most of us work later shifts and aren’t scheduled to start our work day until 10 or 11am. Luckily 6am would only be an hour or so early for me, but most of the new employees start at 11am, which would make that a very long and unrealistic day. I do not understand how management is unable to see the big picture of the issues they are creating with the management of this division. Plus they keep giving non-injury more things to help other departments with (aka more work to do).

Advice to Management

Let your licensed adjusters actually be adjusters and work their claims and make outbound calls. If you want a call center then have a separate call center for status calls. I hope management realizes that if your adjusters actually handle their claims it would reduce the overall level of calls from members asking what is going on with their claim and why are things taking forever? It is just not logical the way this department is being run. This job is driving good employees to quit. Other employees to seek mental help for stress and anxiety/depression. I think the company is amazing but it has a lot of restructuring and reorganizing to do; and fast or both employees and members will continue to suffer. Listen to the feedback that is given on the intranet. Don’t just ignore it. Employees like myself love this company and it’s mission, but we see the downturn it is continuing to take.

2. "Great company with great benefits"

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits start on day one, great training, bonuses are generous, company that you will be proud to work for

Cons

The phones can be a grind

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great company experiencing many changes"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and good people

Cons

Large organization with numerous inefficiencies and red tape. Out dated technology

"Great company"

Former Employee - Senior Member Relationship Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Member Relationship Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, very organized and well-run company. Takes care of it’s emplo very well.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted or cross-train.

Advice to Management

Promote more! Support your employees who would like to move to another department, don’t hold people back for personal reasons.

"I've been there going on 10 years, and one mgr put me on final warning, so i went out on short term disability, politics"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can't beat the bonuses and 401k 8% match, vesting right away.

Cons

System issues were preventing normal production. Why mgrs given too much power to decide to fire somebody or not, some incompetent leaders.

Advice to Management

Manager's are given too much authority in employee discipline.

6. "Entry level auto claims"

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Successful company, great people and lots of room for growth, it seemed.

Cons

Overwhelmed by amount of claims they expect one person to handle, especially a new person

Advice to Management

Be patient as we learn and get better with time and experience.

"A Noble Mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Getting to serve those in the military
    Great benefits!
    Amazing co-workers
    Bonuses
    A Noble Mission

Cons

30,000 employees means getting a promotion can be difficult because it's very competitive

"It was alright if you like working in a call center taking back to back calls for 8 hrs straight..."

Former Employee - Member Solutions Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Member Solutions Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive medical, dental and vision benefits and costs. Great 401k match with an 8% match as well as a company funded retirement fund deposited into 401k account each year. Bonuses for all employees of company meets board to directors standards. Employees are friendly and welcoming almost like a family.

Cons

Lack of upward movement in the call center since the workforce is so large. Managers are inconsistent with feedback and can lack leadership abilities. Managers can be unapproachable making it hard to voice concerns. Directors tend to be unapproachable as well. Facility and equipment is dated and in need of an update.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing leaders who are more people driven and less process driven, like you say you are. Offer more member facing positions for people who do not like the call center environment.

9. "Great Place for a Career"

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Building, City, 401K, salary, opportunities, culture, people, amenities, free gyms, three Starbucks, multiple cafeterias

Cons

sometimes hot and sticky weather...

Advice to Management

Keep it up and don't be afraid to try new things

10. "Property Adjuster"

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedules, great atmosphere and a lot of opportunity to rise as high as you'd like in the company. They also give you $10000 per year for education.

Cons

The job isn't exciting and the base pay is pretty low. While moving up in the company is encouraged it's highly competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Management is great at USAA over all. I have no complaints.

Showing 2,066 of 2,184 reviews