USAA Reviews | Glassdoor

2,066 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Executive Director"

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Mission driven company, with fundamentally good corporate values.

Cons

Large, middle management heavy organization, leads to lack of strategic clarity. Lack of clarity & accountability can lead to risk-averse & defensive "CYA" decision making.

Advice to Management

Ensure that employees know what is expected of them, and be transparent. Attempt to dispel the perception that the "real" reasons for decision are secret, and are made behind closed doors.

"Many Millennials work here right out of college, reviews aren't objective."

Current Employee - Member Solutions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Member Solutions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company match on 401K (8%)
    Decent medical benefits
    Free fitness center on site (very small though)
    50% off purchases of healthy choices in the cafe
    Above average bonuses for insurance industry

Cons

You will work here for over a year before you see a full bonus.
    The base pay is not competitive for all the regulatory items you have to deal with in the different states.
    There is no quota, BUT you are expected to soft sell products to almost every member based off recommendations from the proprietary software used by USAA.
    The training is not that good and will leave you unprepared to help some of the members.
    You will be told to look on a knowledge based system for most of your questions.
    Almost a cult-like culture, lots of propaganda weekly about it being the best company in insurance and banking!
    You will work here for years before you have a shot at both Sat/Sun off.
    You will probably never be able to get off the phones unless you have a very unique skill-set.
    They are growing VERY fast and the poor members are suffering with a "hit or miss" experience with reps when they call in and expect excellent customer service.
    They use third party vendors for IT like most large corporations these days and the IT help line is a joke.
    The hardware is very old and they have proprietary software that glitches constantly!

Advice to Management

If USAA is the phenomenal company that you say it is, then let employees come to that conclusion on their own! You shouldn't have to self-promote to the degree you do.
    Increase base pay and stop dangling large bonuses that are not guaranteed like carrots.

"Middle management paradise ..."

Former Employee - Creative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Creative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses, low bar for promotions, everybody gets to be a Director, ED, VP, etc. Starbucks. Gyms if you’re into that.

Cons

Faux military culture, ultra conservative, all too predictable, managers that preach one thing and live another. Culture of mediocrity is overwhelming.

Advice to Management

The COO is the one who is really running the company... admit that and cut the BS. Having an expensive design office in Austin is not going to make you cool or solve the fundamental things wrong with your layers and layers of inept management. Disband corporate communications; they’re a joke. Give MSRs time off ... and start treating them like you treat your executive branch. Get a CEO that knows what he’s doing.

"Mortgage Processor"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful facility, & onsite amenities.

Cons

Under paid, micro managed & workflow process is a mess.

Advice to Management

Favoritism doesn't look good. Learn to appreciate and value all employees.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership development, mentoring, total compensation package

Cons

Lack of flexibility to move to another state and continue to work from home.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration family work/life balance of your top talent. Provide more flexibility to maintain position and move to another state especially when they are already in the work at home environment

"EOPM"

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Visibility to what’s coming to members

Cons

Much responsibility not enough pay for position

Advice to Management

Pay more and change titles

"DONT DO IT!"

Current Employee - Banking in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Banking in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with about 8/10 who hate the place as much as you do
    Ok hourly pay
    Deers on campus
    Nice cafeteria staff
    Bonuses

Cons

If you like to have any type of voice of your own stay away. Managers will take you and rip you to shreads, had one person throw in the towel today on our floor saying they have attempt suicide twice in the past year since working for this hell hole. Personally have been dignosed with anxiety and depression after only working with the company for going on 2 year/ have took 2 Ltd because of my depression that’s the only reason I’ve lasted. Managers are so condescending! Will push it on you to sale and transfer members if the screen tells you the need it they need it. Usaa will say they’re above all but yet coming from a bank who is a competitor/ corporate bank. Usaa shoved the exact same things down the members thoat now just as much a corporate bank. But the only thing is Usaa don’t give you commission for it. Once you got the sales part down You just get you manager to nit pick at something else other than your “transfers” / “opportunities” (sales). Such as the fact that if one day you got to really have to “GO” (to the bathroom, or have a call to take) and if you happen to take more than 7 mins to do so you have to go in and report UNSCHEDULED PTO!!!! Anytime it’s a occurrence coming back from brake 1 mins late is a “OCCURENCE” computer taking to long to load up or log onto phone system lags and you start taking late by 2 mins the times is a occurence.
    If you want to move up in a company don’t go to the Call center! People have been stuck on phone for 5+ years DONT DRINK THE KOOLAID THEY GIVE YOU WHEN BEING HIRED ABOUT YOU BEING ABLE TO MOVE ANYWHERE AT 1 year! Seems like a lot of job postings but in reality just there to take up space you really have to know someone or pull stings to get anywhere with this company. Also don’t plan on having a work/life balance even in protective leave you’ll get questioned

Advice to Management

Stop with the power trips. Your no better than your employee
    Actually do something about all those unsatisfactory reviews you have on connect! Fix it don’t over look it!!! I see the turn over rate to drop dramatically sooner than later!
    More work at home opportunities
    Get rid of the bad managers that only got there because of the family they have in Usaa!
    Do just say you’ve heard our request for a better work life balance and add some new tool we can use that you le manager won’t even let you use or get mad at you for using because everyones on a different page and we only go based of what our manger THINKS

"True Blue USAA Eagle Employee"

Current Employee - NMS in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - NMS in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are USAA core values and mission- you go home feeling good to have a career where the members are more than just a number.

Cons

The cons to working at USAA, That"s a tough one. I guess it would be..not being able to attend some of the amazing speakers they have come in to share work related information. I am looking forward to my two days off during the week so I can experience a live speaker.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work- Coaching and feed back- the best leadership to bring out the best in perspective leaders. Meeting company and personal goals, successfully taking care of our members by fulling our mission- to go above for those who have gone beyond- makes me proud to share - how very proud I am to work for the best business organization, and a honor to work with amazing group of leaders

9. "Great place to work in IT"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant - Computer Sys Engineer/Architect in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great place to learn other technologies.
    Easy to move around.

Cons

nothing much I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "Overall"

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, pay and culture

Cons

busy-but what job isn't

Showing 2,066 of 2,183 reviews