USAA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,899 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • call center work load is extremely heavy (in 248 reviews)

• Long work hours, work life balance is said but not truly giving consideration (in 59 reviews)

1. "Overall, great company if you enjoy your job, but can be difficult to move jobs."

Current Employee - Life Insurance Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Life Insurance Sales in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has Great benefits- including PTO, 401k match, parental Leave, medical, etc. The facilities at the head quarters are nice.

Cons

Working in a call center has its own set of challenges, even in the best departments. There is schedule preferencing and you may not get a schedule you want or like. Also, you will not get days off around holidays during your first several years. If you want to change jobs it can be challenging if you don't know the right person. It seems many of the jobs posted are already promised to someone else and posting them is a formality. I feel stuck in my job, which I'm overqualified for. The only way to get a new position internally is to aggressively network.

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Mission. Great Members. Great Benefits. Great Work-Life Balance. Great Work From Home Options! USAA treats its Employees like Family and the employee's treat the USAA members like Family. I retired after 30 years of Service and I loved every minute of it. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great place to work.

Cons

Not a lot of local offices in many cities.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive to Keep the Work Life Balance, in Balance!

3. "Member feedback analyst"

Current Employee - Member Feedback Analyst II in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Member Feedback Analyst II in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home as needed

Cons

Lack of job/department definition

"Mediocre company to work for..."

Current Employee - Software Developer and Integrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer and Integrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 401K with 8% match
    - Good end of year bonus
    - Great co-workers
    - Laid back environment
    - Onsite Gym

Cons

- Terrible Pay.

- Everyone gets paid the same regardless of performance.

- Hard working employees not compensated correctly, instead the employees who suck it up to management get compensated.

- Managers don't care about their employees for most of the time.

- The whole "Doing the right thing" and "Going above" is completely false because if you propose something that will help members but it does not provide a huge business value then your proposal gets shot down instantly.

- No real innovation, they consider "Innovation" fixing bugs/glitches and getting free work out of employees.

- Every Time you propose something different YOU WILL get shot down instantly because "That is not the way we have done this in the past".

- Promotions are given regardless of performance.

- Technology Stack is ancient although they claim that they are moving to new technologies. Problem is that only the prodigies get to use this new tech while the rest of the employees have to stick with older tech.

- Health Insurance (Aetna) is bad

- The have been money pinching across the whole enterprise. Always looking for cost savings instead of concentrating on providing what is best for the members.

Advice to Management

Improve the pay of your employees and compensate hard working employees to motivate them to stay with the company.

"Financial Foundations"

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA (More than a year)

Pros

They have great benefits and can be flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Lately the focus has been on quantity not quality of work. It seems to vary with management but seems to have become a trend with most of the management. This may be due to not having enough adequate staffing.

Advice to Management

I think there should be more of a focus giving agents time stay up to date with new changes and more of an emphasis on improving the quality of our work, less on the amount of calls taken.

"I love my job."

Current Employee - Retail Banking Specialist in Thonotosassa, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Banking Specialist in Thonotosassa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits / pay / co workers / very good managerial support / cafeteria inside of the job / build your own career path

Cons

No overtime available for the bank . There is no con for me with this job. I love it here

Advice to Management

Continue to open doors for young adults

"Resting on its laurels but needs to step up its game...new CEO has failed in every way....same with the Board."

Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Time off is good on paper. People are friendly. Campus has much to offer - gym, clinics.

Cons

Pay is on the low end. Talent base is pretty mediocre. Technology is poor. Lack of drive in employees reflects government like culture. Management is very out of touch and very defensive of their status. Workforce is old. New CEO has really dropped the ball and brought the company's performance and reputation down. Same with the board - very disheartening as a member and an employee.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with reality. We can't rest on our name anymore. Competition is eating our lunch and our employees need to be kicked in the butt or shown the door if they don't perform. No more of this "it's ok" mentality.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Senior Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Senior Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits-401k match of 8% dollar for dollar plus an additional 3%-9% given to you by the company. 18 weeks paid maternity leave for birth moms and 12 weeks for non birth parents starting 7/1/17. Free financial/insurance reviews on company time. Flexible work schedules and work at home positions. Opportunity for advancement. Beautiful workplace, awesome gym, discounted healthy food in cafeteria. On-site childcare. Ethical company. Military-friendly. Holiday and annual bonuses. They do a LOT for their employees. I will never go anywhere else.

Cons

Dealing with coworkers they push through training even though they don't have what it takes to live up to USAA's customer service standards or they don't catch on fast enough-makes the rest of us look bad when we have to fix their mistakes.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to get rid of people in training who just don't cut it. It just creates more work for the rest of us and makes USAA look bad.

"Dead End Call Center Job"

Current Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits-PTO, annual and holiday two week bonus pay, health insurance, on-site fitness center. 100% company match up to 8%. Tuition paid for upfront on a company credit card up to $10,000 max if qualified.

Cons

Very micro-managed, lack of work/life balance by having to bid for vacation time a year in advance and based on seniority. Dead end call center job. Good jobs posted externally and current employees usually don't get a chance to apply for them. Poor raises.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who your good employees are and don't skimp on the raises. Give your current employees to post out for all jobs. Give real raises and cost of living adjustments. Let employees plan their vacations in s humane amount of time instead of a year. Go back to your roots providing the best customer service instead of cramming products down people's throats.

"Business and Insurance Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, amenities, filler, there are not , 5 pros

Cons

Work/life, workload, management, schedules, call volume

Showing 1,899 of 1,999 reviews