KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

USAA

Engaged Employer

USAA

Add a Review

USAA Employee Reviews about "bonus"

Updated Aug 19, 2022

Found 585 of over 5,582 reviews

3.6
USAA CEO Wayne Peacock
Wayne Peacock
1,064 Ratings

What people are saying about USAA

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The benefits are great and my manager really encourages using your own initiative and asking questions.(in 1132 reviews)
  • "The pay is good for San Antonio and the cost of living in San Antonio is tremendous.(in 288 reviews)
  • "It values support of the military and allows for a great work life balance.(in 217 reviews)
  • "Annual bonus (but it'd be nice to get that disbursed divided by your pay checks)(in 210 reviews)
  • "Great for people who don't like to be busy and make a difference.(in 208 reviews)
Cons
  • "Good managers are hard to come by(in 185 reviews)
  • "There was poor management and it made for a hostile environment for some of us.(in 184 reviews)
  • "Poor leadership that doesn't understand the company mission statement.(in 86 reviews)
  • "Good luck getting the time off that you need…you literally have to request your time off a year in advance.(in 71 reviews)
  • "The only thing I would say is that in this economy the salary is low(in 63 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of USAA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "bonus"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

USAA Review

Apr 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive environment with a very good representation in diversity.

Cons

The base compensation and bonus structure is not competitive with the rest of the industry.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Work environment is good overall but some management issues

Mar 8, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Plano, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance Technology trending in right direction Some of management are great but few and far between Pay for incoming employees is competitive

Cons

Most of the culture is just words. Most of management is trying to shift blame more than contribute to solving problems. Recent cuts to benefits Recent bonus structure changes that pit teammates against each other to get larger bonuses and leave coworkers with less HR blocks raises and promotions by only processing a select few a year. Most talented individuals are leaving company for large pay raises and HR isn’t moving fast enough to allow us to hire replacements.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee

USA A

Aug 4, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are great, the people are friendly and encouraging. The bonus is the best part of it all and you feel great helping the military community.

Cons

Flexibility with time off is not as convenient as you would think. Other than that everything is great.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company with mission focus and good benefits

Feb 16, 2016 - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company lives by its mission to serve its members. This is a large organization with a diverse workforce. The company strides to continue to innovate to improve working conditions for its employees and members. There is a decent bonus that is the same for all employees regardless of performance (good and bad). The company recently provided free access to the fitness centers to employees and discounts for healthy eating. Under the new CEO, Parker, he is trying to improve conditions for employees.

Cons

The health insurance is one of the worst. Many of my providers don't accept the insurance or the co pays are so high. The large company collaborates too many that work cannot be accomplished efficiently. There are departments that don't communicate with each other and lead to departmental disputes and arguments.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Couldn't make it to 10 years

Nov 27, 2021 - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

I always had great, compassionate managers who helped me develop into a better employee. The amount of PTO is great with the option the purchase more. The work/life balance is good for those who refuse to work more than 40 hours and good for those who choose to work overtime for more money. (Claims adjusters are paid an hourly rate.)

Cons

Everything started going downhill over the last 2 years. It's pathetic to say but a pandemic made everything tolerable until the phone volume skyrocketed back up again because of mismanagement in our non-injury department. Our annual bonus was going down at an alarming rate and I saw myself make less and less money each year. They restructured it but I was still making less money than my peers who went to different companies. I also saw my peers fail to move out of claims; claims is like a cult and they don't seem to want to let their valuable, underpaid claims adjusters pursue careers in other departments. The benefits used to be amazing: I was hired in when the bonus used to be 18-19%, an education credit card given instead of reimbursement, etc. Watching the c-suite be slow to action as employees were leaving and then changing benefits to be 'competitive' when they really just made it clear we were no longer the same company proud to support our military members and their families made me realize it wasn't worth staying. That's on top of an intranet advice article recommending employees get a second job to make more money and seeing my social security tax being added to our 'total rewards' (that's what they call the benefits, retirement & salary package) really pissed me off.

Continue reading
    6 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

All the lies not worth your below avg salary

Sep 7, 2015 - Underwriter in Addison, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

USAA gives you an extra pay check before Christmas. Free sub-par coffee Annual bonus (but it'd be nice to get that disbursed divided by your pay checks) 8% 401(k) match..but you gotta starve to put that much in Decently fast internet to job surf or update your LinkedIn & indeed accounts w/ your most current resume

Cons

Management: sigh, dimwitted know it all's who pretend to want to have your opinion but then will consider and usually go their own way and then act shocked when their way is a terrible idea. Employees are literally leaving like rats on a sinking ship. I've never worked for a corporation where they literally pretend that everything is totally fine. And it's not just the employees who are leaving, we've got directors & managers who are either quiting or being (quietly) sent back to San Antonio and taking a demotion. Potential Underwriter: Don't expect to get your VA designations..won't happen. With all the lies and the BS the rumblings have been we'll get it in a year (2012) we'll get it Q2 next year (2013 Q3) ..then "no plans to bring it to Addison, now, "probably not until Q2" so we are gonna get it..just say so. UW aren't idiots we know what's up. Pay: if you're really into being paid less for what you're worth..then come on in. Here, you will be paid at least 25-30K less than the DFW market avg. most underwriters aren't even paid the avg. between job description minimum & maximum. But yet, mgmt expect above avg performance..its borderline slave labor. All the while you're feed their BS propaganda about how horrible every other company is and if you leave how you'll BEG to come back. Let me just say I've seen more than 1/2 of the original UW staff leave..and only heard of 1 come back and she was new at UW anyways. Don't look to advance cause you won't. You'll be a Underwriter I who's underpaid just as you were for a Underwriter II...same goes for processing & closing. They think that title makes up for your lack of $$. Work: you have to schedule all of your vacation at the end of the year for the following year. Taking time off if you're denied through the system is like pulling teeth and you just have to call out sick just to take care of simple things...no work /life balance at all.

Continue reading