KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

USAA

Engaged Employer

USAA

Add a Review

USAA Employee Reviews about "management"

Updated Aug 19, 2022

Found 878 of over 5,580 reviews

3.6
USAA CEO Wayne Peacock
Wayne Peacock
1,064 Ratings

What people are saying about USAA

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The benefits are great and my manager really encourages using your own initiative and asking questions.(in 1129 reviews)
  • "The pay is good for San Antonio and the cost of living in San Antonio is tremendous.(in 280 reviews)
  • "It values support of the military and allows for a great work life balance.(in 213 reviews)
  • "Yearly Bonuses are great and helpful.(in 210 reviews)
  • "Great for people who don't like to be busy and make a difference.(in 207 reviews)
Cons
  • "There was poor management and it made for a hostile environment for some of us.(in 186 reviews)
  • "Good managers are hard to come by(in 183 reviews)
  • "Poor leadership that doesn't understand the company mission statement.(in 80 reviews)
  • "Good luck getting the time off that you need…you literally have to request your time off a year in advance.(in 72 reviews)
  • "The only thing I would say is that in this economy the salary is low(in 62 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of USAA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee

Very Disappointed Business Analyst at Plano location!

Jan 2, 2016 - Business Analyst in Plano, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Great for people who don't like to be busy and make a difference. Extremely passionate about military members!! Taking care of members is encouraged and is top priority. Home Office analysts and management were helpful and accommodating when traveling to and working at their office in San Antonio. They cater to interns. They are very selective with new hires and people hired are excellent employees. (Analysts and PM's) Convenient location, nice building and laid back fun work environment in a couple of areas. Cleaning and maintenance staff are kind and helpful. College hires are top notch.

Cons

Several female managers are old school and micro-managers. One manager literally stands at her computer and watches over her team all day long. Upper Management is not effective. They keep hiring people and THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WORK TO KEEP A PERSON BUSY. In Plano, I had enough work to fill about two hours a day. Asked micro-manager to help PM's in other areas that requested my help and was told no because she wouldn't know what I was doing all day. Horrible on-boarding. Interviewed for one department and first day was sent to a different department. Some employees have started and they temporarily stick them somewhere because management doesn't know where they are supposed to go. Gave notice due to lack of work and asked for exit interview to provide positive and negative feedback and instead was walked out that day. Thus leaving my feedback here instead. Talked to peers and they said they don't have work to do so they "fake" doing work. I am an experienced, passionate and highly respected (at previous companies) analyst who moved to Plano. I was so excited to get hired at this company. I just couldn't continue to spend 6 hours a day pretending to read a few emails when other departments needed and requested my help.

18 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company

Oct 15, 2016 - Lead Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and work-life balance. The culture makes for a great environment and is meaningful. Company supports military members and their defendants, so you are helping the most important population.

Cons

Big company means several layers of management and some efforts are politically driven through the ranks. This is really not that big of a deal it I've been on a few projects that shouldn't have been executed.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Everything that glitters isn't gold

Jul 31, 2014 - Financial Foundation Representative in Columbus, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, yearly and holiday bonuses.

Cons

I worked there for less than a year and because I wasn't a good ol'boy they let me go. My numbers where high and member stats where on top. There was poor management and it made for a hostile environment for some of us. Many was afraid to loose their jobs. Forms of bulling, and harassment was a huge issue. Keeping inexperienced managers was more important than beat down employees. Everything in new hires was fabricated and convincing. I was let go after being bullied by my manager and her 'mean girls' and asked not to return when left for my lunch break. My manager constantly informed me I am not USAA material and asked me to quit before she fired me. I reached out to hr for help, only to listen to the he say and she say, along with the lies of a 20yr old manager with a high school girl mentality.

5 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible Company

Jan 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is the best company! I've worked at USAA for about 2 years and I love it. I've worked at 5 other financial institutions in my career and none of them come close to USAA. The management is incredible and they really do listen to and care about the employees. The benefits are outstanding and the focus on the mission and members is unparalleled. It is refreshing to work for a company that will put members first and do the right thing by them.

Cons

Communication between departments can be difficult. There are several manual processes that could be easily automated.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Once you are in, you are in

Aug 11, 2022 - Member Debt Solutions in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have enjoyed a flexible remote working schedule that management respects and does not ask us to work unreasonable hours. The occasional (time and a half) overtime aside, I can count on clocking out each day at a fixed time. It took awhile to make it onto the USAA team officially from my former contractor role, but once I made it as an official hire, I have seen that the company really values keeping you onboard.

Cons

From my experience, the company is very strict on following rigid guidelines regarding raises and promotions. You must hit certain chronological metrics to even be considered for a review of a raise or promotion without exception (believe me I tried!)

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

One of the worst jobs ever

May 8, 2021 - Insurance Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amenities were amongst some of the things that were good about this place.

Cons

They chain you to your desk and don't allow you to go to the restroom without tracking and logging your breaks. It feels like you are being monitored and watched 24/7. Call are always back to back and management does not seem to care about your mental well being.

6 people found this review helpful