KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

USAA

Engaged Employer

USAA

Add a Review

USAA Employee Reviews about "usaa"

Updated Dec 4, 2021

Found 422 of over 5,418 reviews

3.7
USAA CEO Wayne Peacock
Wayne Peacock
1,062 Ratings

What people are saying about USAA

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "GREAT benefits health /401k match 8%/ tuition reimbursement / bonus for holidays and end of the year performance(in 1095 reviews)
  • "The pay is good for San Antonio and the cost of living in San Antonio is tremendous.(in 277 reviews)
  • "Annual bonus (but it'd be nice to get that disbursed divided by your pay checks)(in 221 reviews)
  • "It values support of the military and allows for a great work life balance.(in 202 reviews)
  • "Great people and teams(in 200 reviews)
Cons
  • "Good managers are hard to come by(in 180 reviews)
  • "There was poor management and it made for a hostile environment for some of us.(in 179 reviews)
  • "Poor leadership that doesn't understand the company mission statement.(in 83 reviews)
  • "Your growth at USAA can be short because of poor upper management(in 57 reviews)
  • "Long hours and complaint calls(in 33 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of USAA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "usaa"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee

Bait & Switch, Unethical Management

Jan 3, 2012 - Member Relationship Spec/Member Service Representative/??? in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fair Pay for the Job - 401K Match up to 8% (vested after 2 yrs) - Free covered parking on campus - lots of restrooms - Public only knows what they see from advertising, so company has a good image

Cons

- Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing (i.e. What senior executives put out verbally and in writing, isn't practiced by the operational level of management (member contact) - Unpleasant work environment...management rules by fear and intimidation. Employees unable to speak freely or point out problems, even if it would help the company and/or members. - Bait and switch in hiring (if you have a member contact job, you WILL be judged on your multi-product sales performance). Other qualities such as product knowledge (i.e. insurance, investments, etc.), technical expertise, and member/customer satisfaction will all be secondary, if recognized at all) - Low level of work ethics consistently exhibited by lower level managers and directors. Company ignores internal ethics complaints unless they think it could end up in a lawsuit and cost them $$$. - 'Millitary values' are a marketing term used by USAA. As a former military officer, I can positively attest to my direct management at USAA adhering to a MUCH lower set of values; typically at the members expense. - Expertise, education, high work ethic, low error rate, etc. will not move you along at USAA. Talking the member into an additional sale, even if you mess up the primary requested/needed business, will. Very little opportunity to move into a better work position at USAA once you are a MSR. Lots of turnover in the MSR job, not so in the other areas of the company. - Mangement wants you to keep your mouth shut at all times, unless you are cheerleading. No constructive criticism or attention to misinformation, etc. is allowed. Team meetings are typically like attending a Funeral...heads down, employees quiet,. - Preschool type management, i.e. managers hand out a piece of candy if you do a good job! Silly dress up days by management, etc., while all while nothing changes for the employee. You are on the phones, period. Only the managers participate in the 'fun' activities, but stupidly feel that it motivates the employees. Employees afraid to speak up.

11 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

New starter.

Apr 10, 2021 - Member Service Representative I (MSR I)
    Business Outlook

Pros

High level of investment in training at the outset and a lot of support from trainers and managers . Also USAA seem to be committed to a culture of diversity including one aspect that is often overlooked age!

Cons

Significant amount of information needs to be remembered on each call and you can loose confidence when you fail to do everything that is required. Also in the guise of sharing best practice some colleagues are compelled to announce their daily accomplishments telling the rest of us how easy it is for them.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Solid, stable company, but can be frustrating

Apr 28, 2015 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rock solid company with fantastic benefits. 8% percent retirement matching is hard to beat. Flexible schedules and a good work-life balance. Company performance is based on member/customer satisfaction more than dollars earned.

Cons

A lot of red tape will get in the way of your daily job. USAA is a very conservative company and the pace is slow when working with new technologies. There is now a strict 2 year minimum between promotions.

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place to Work in IT!!

Feb 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I just recently joined USAA and it is top notch. Great benefits, great culture, and above all great mission. USAA is doing it right the way and they really care about their members and employees. Innovation runs rampant and there is plenty of exciting work. The leadership of this company is to be commended.

Cons

No cons, it's a great place to work....

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Place to Gain Experience

Aug 30, 2018 - Real Estate Processor II in Addison, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bonus structure, easy to get a job in a field you haven't worked in before.

Cons

I will say this, I am grateful to USAA, USAA gave me a career in the real estate field in which I had no experience and as a veteran this was very helpful. The problem I had with USAA was that they tried to be too much like the military, the military works the way it does because it is the military, it does not translate well over to the civilian well and it always bothered me because they chose the worst parts of military to integrate, for example putting people in leadership positions because the check all the right boxes instead of assessing if they are actually leadership positions, micromanaging and favoritism. After getting away from USAA and seeing how real estate is done at other lenders USAA's process is outdated and unecessary. The fact that you had to adhere to scripts when on the phonecalls with members is ridiculous, you can't talk to everybody the same way and you should have freedom to speak how you need too. Also, I think this is across the board with most departments but the pay is way under industry standard, they use the excuse of the bonus making up for that but it's still not okay, they have the money to pay people industry standard and still give out the bonuses. Also, as a veteran myself I will say that USAA goes overboard with the military appreciation and recognition and it tends to alienate people who haven't served and as military member myself it got a little exhausting to see and hear everyday. Judging by the reviews things have only gotten worse since I left 3 years ago. If you are a prospective job seeker USAA is a good place to get into the industry you want to be in especially if you have limited experience, my advice would be to learn as much as you can, get the experience on paper and move to another company, USAA's name recognition will help you get another job.

14 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love / Hate Relationship

Feb 2, 2016 - Auto Adjuster III in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits (8% matching 401k, great medical coverage), Free Gym, Tuition Assistance, Discount off healthy food in cafeteria, Free meals during the holidays (if you're able to get off the phone to go enjoy)

Cons

For my past 2 years in the claims department, the workload has been overwhelming. Several veterans have received jobs here, only to then be taken off claims due to PTSD they say is retriggered from working at USAA & many I have known have quit due to the stress. USAA does not care about stressed employees and every employee in claims does the work of at least 2 people. You take a call and while you are trying to finish the work of that one call, you get another call and then are trying to finish 2 claims, then get another call & the cycle goes on and on. Property adjusters are supposed to get time to write up estimates upwards of $10k but it doesnt happen so while we are talking to other about their stolen vehicle we are simultaneously trying to pay another person for thei 130 stolen items over $10k. It is micromanaged and makes you scared to even get up to go to the bathroom. Political. You can have a Masters and be stuck getting paid $36k/year. Hard to move up.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Great company to work at USAA

Dec 18, 2019 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at USAA is a great opportunity for people who wants grow their career in multi-dimensional way. USAA provides lot of training sessions on cutting edge technologies. Flexible work, Great work culture, Stress free work environment

Cons

I have not noticed much of cons of the company.

8. 3.0