KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

USAA

Engaged Employer

USAA

Add a Review

USAA Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 1, 2021

Found 490 of over 5,398 reviews

3.7
USAA CEO Wayne Peacock
Wayne Peacock
1,057 Ratings

What people are saying about USAA

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "GREAT benefits health /401k match 8%/ tuition reimbursement / bonus for holidays and end of the year performance(in 1080 reviews)
  • "The pay is good for San Antonio and the cost of living in San Antonio is tremendous.(in 286 reviews)
  • "Holiday and Annual Bonuses for employees(in 213 reviews)
  • "Great for people who don't like to be busy and make a difference.(in 210 reviews)
  • "It values support of the military and allows for a great work life balance.(in 209 reviews)
Cons
  • "Good managers are hard to come by(in 177 reviews)
  • "There was poor management and it made for a hostile environment for some of us.(in 175 reviews)
  • "Poor leadership that doesn't understand the company mission statement.(in 81 reviews)
  • "Your growth at USAA can be short because of poor upper management(in 56 reviews)
  • "Long hours and complaint calls(in 34 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of USAA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Chief Financial Office = Dumpster fire

Dec 1, 2021 - Business Risk and Controls Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great amenities and home office. Somewhat OK work-life balance depending on the role you land. If you are in CFO its a dumpster fire. Do not expect a work life balance if you do not make it your intent to have one by having boundaries. Set up boundaries or you will be working late.

Cons

Overachievers overcomplicating simple tasks and micromanaging. The company offers a pension that has a APY of 3%. Thats a little more than a bank account. Go chase after 15% yields on your own. 3% is not a benefit to tout. Avoid the CFO office that has about 1200-1500 people approx. Its a cluster everywhere and for the folks that don't have a dumpster fire, they hide the fact they don't so as to not have work piled on them.

8 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

You can retire here, but it may be a long road

Aug 31, 2019 - Computer Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is its own world and a good one. work/life balance is good but watch out where you work for flexibility benefits are top in class the USAA brand is true to its values

Cons

-advancement could be years -becoming a big bank puts the culture in question -making management is still very old thinking; what college did you go to? who can I trade with this manager to get what I need, who do I know, tenure driven -parking is like socal, once you park...don't move!

6 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Auto Claims is horrible!

Dec 19, 2019 - Claims Adjuster III in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co workers on my team. Great facility, gym, Heath center on site, Starbucks on site, good benefits.

Cons

You don’t have a second to breathe back to back nonstop phone calls, you don’t have time to return phone calls, so many voicemails they decided to do away with VM. Code Red 3 days a week where you are told no outbound phone calls because so many people waiting on the phone. People screaming at you all day long. Then management constantly on you to adhere to unrealistic metrics. Excellent employees are quitting in masses because it is so stressful. They push you to work overtime every day and a lot of Saturdays. No work life balance if you have a family say goodbye you won’t be seeing them anymore...worst job I have ever had in my life.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0

Real Wealth Managers or Advisors should stay way

May 19, 2015 - Wealth Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Decent starting Salary. 2. USAA Members are great and trusting. 3. Personal experience with health coverage was fine but hear many horror stories from co-workers. 4. Minimal efforts needed to accomplish sales goals and work life balance is there (if your manager allows it. 5. If you love the Corporate Drama and Double-talk, you will love USAA. (maybe this is a con) 6. Perfect if you are looking to do the minimum and retire in 5 years.

Cons

Oh boy 1. All you hear is how much their members loves them and how member/client centric they are. All load of crap. 2. Way below average investment selection. The planning software is a joke and all the planners there knows it. 3. Fund/Discretionary managers have terrible performance and makes up excuses on how or why its not their fault. They talked about how they don't use REITs in their portfolio and avoided a small pull back when they missed the much much bigger upswing. 4. I think the best part is how they start with all their meeting with their mission statement to help the members. Right after that, we talk about how we used various situations to dump products on the very same members we were suppose to help. Best yet, they are pulling products or changing goals because of of profitability to the organization. Classic 5. You are scored on how many widgets you can dump on people. You are not scored on assets gathered, retaining managed funds, nor have the ability to provide any real advice. 6. Military mind set (keep your mouth shut and do your work) even thou they ask for your opinion (this is your opportunity to blow smoke). 7. Their record keeping system was build prob made when Bill Gates was still in high school. Some of the most incapable and ridiculous things happens here on a regular basis. 8. You are not paid to have independent thought. 9. Direct manager has almost final say in your performance and promotional eligibility. Favoritism of certain employees that keep their mouth-shut and play the game is always rewarded. 10. The bonus structure is a joke. I imaging this must be what it is like to live in a communist country. We all the get same percentage. Does not matter how much or little work you do to achieve their "matrix". The list goes on. So many things to list, so not worth any more of my time

17 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Mortgage Loan Officer

Apr 3, 2018 - Mortgage Loan Officer in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Military Friendly, Great Culture, Great Benefits, Great Training, and Great Work Environment.

Cons

Work Life Balance and Pay Below Industry

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 2.0

Auto Adjuster III

Jan 3, 2016 - Auto Claims Adjuster III in Colorado Springs, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, awesome bonus, awesome time off allowance even as a brand new employee, work life balance encouraged, good starting pay for an entry level position.

Cons

The #1 Con anyone in my job position would tell you about is that it is call center - but not just any call center .. It is an inbound AND outbound call center with ZERO (I'm not joking when I mean zero .. I mean I barely hang up on the last call I was on and I'm immediately getting another call ) actual availability to make outbound calls while continuously taking inbound calls. (And being punished for not being available) Now mind you, the outbound calls are how you handle your own work - which includes calling your own claims & returning your own voice mails. (2 very simple tasks you would think can be done easily that can't) There are way too many things expected of adjusters in our 8 hour day. These incredibly unobtainable expectations don't help support the mission of the company or the work life balance that is preached throughout management to their employees. Because of that, it has caused numerous employees to quit / think of quitting due to the immense amount of stress that comes from this job ... I am among those who have been looking for a new job & have been doing so for months.

20 people found this review helpful