USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture Reviews | Glassdoor

USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture Reviews

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Program Management Intern"

Former Intern - Program Management Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Program Management Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the most relaxed place you will ever work! Everyone here is so nice and helpful!

Cons

The assignments were not detailed nor planned out carefully.

Advice to Management

Fully plan intern work schedule

2. "No real guidelines on protocol making everything rushed and an "emergency""

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people are very dedicated to their work

Cons

I worked as a part of the communications team.

Protocol was constantly changing and management refused to give me anything but VERBAL instructions, never written, which constantly changed making my position near impossible.

On my last day I was asked to put in my two weeks because I was not comfortable altering my telework schedule. Immediately my manager sent emails out to my contracting company and others that I have decided to quit and began bombarding me with questions less than an hour later asking when my replacement is coming in for training.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out for certain management figures in the communication staff. People are constantly coming and going for a reason.

3. "Attempitng to implement "Best Place to Work" priorities"

Current Employee - Biological Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Biological Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture full-time

Pros

Depending on the institute you work in, moral is high. Telework option is growing to greater than %50. Management is attempting to listen to opinions and ideas. They are very responsive to the USDA and NIFA Employee Surveys

Cons

It's government so actual implementation of ideas are difficult. Programs used for completing your job are outdated and many times unavailable without notice. OIT is very slow. Very little teamwork. Structure is not built to hire from within and to encourage upward movement. In order to get to the next GS rating by applying for a 11 position is difficult. Typically, no matter how much experience and education you have, you will be passed over and someone will be hired from the outside. That leads to lower positions poor morale and lack of desire to work at a different level.

Advice to Management

Understand what team building and management of teams really is. use your base positions opinions to develop structure issues. Hire from within. Encourage development and implementation of inclusive and out of the box training ideas.

4. "Typical government"

Pros

job security, few people care about hours, most jobs are easy

Cons

poor communication from management, poor location of building, some managers are tyrants

Advice to Management

spend less time sucking up to those above you and more time getting the job done

5. "Safe and repetitive"

Pros

Well structured, safe, great coworkers and bosses

Cons

Repetitive, boring, work is not challenging, seems like your work is undervalued

Advice to Management

Should expect more work of interns