USG "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

USG Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 9, 2019

3.7
USG CEO Christopher Griffin
Christopher Griffin
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place"

Current Employee - Operator 7 in Gypsum, OH

I have been working at USG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall they are a great place to work. They are one of the few companies that offer 401k and pension plan for their employees. .50 cent company match on the 401k. Starting pay at the gypsum plant is over 18$ now

Cons

Work/life balance is non existentent. Look foward to working 8 or 9 day in a row before you get one off. Management overall is good, but they definitely overlook the policy and rules if it means more production, even though they are a safety first company. Non-union which can be a pro and con

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Our plant was short handed atleast 20 people between all the departments . This would help the work/life balance and give you a happier work force. Knauf and Chris griffen might fix this they have only be in charge for a couple of months

USG2019-08-03

"Lies"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at USG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Management takes short cuts when it. Comes to safety. Equipment is never working properly and maintenance is unable to fix anything. Management cant make a schedule to save their lives. They want. They claim work life balance. But that is a flat out lie.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Management is way too top heavy.

USG2019-08-10

"A lot of fake reviews."

Current Employee - Production Operator

I have been working at USG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It used to be a great place to work. Pay is still good.

Cons

Did anybody notice 85% of reviews with 5 star ratings are listed as "current employee"? That is obviously an attempt to manipulate ratings. Virtually all other "Great Reviews" are from people listed as management... As an operator I can say this place is thriving for poor management. No work/life balance. Will only change as a reaction to issues rather than proactively making things better. By the time they react..., it's always too late to make a significant difference.

Advice to Management

Production is what brings in the money to sustain you... Stop putting production staff at the bottom of the priority list.

USG2019-04-06
  4. "Work/life Balance"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Galena Park, TX

I worked at USG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is a good thing about USG

Cons

Nothing that I can mention

USG2019-02-21

"Very Disappointing - Look Elsewhere"

in Chicago, IL

I worked at USG for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance. Downtown location. Generally decent people.

Cons

Cyclical industry. Bonuses are poor. Very administrative for no reason and no value. Frustrating environment. Not the best leadership or management in certain departments. Arrogance and the blame game occurs at times. Poor teamwork and collaboration. Very reactive to industry rather than proactive. Good at explaining why targets are missed rather than aggressively putting plans to address. Your job duties... will be 1-2 levels below your experience. A bit of a mess to be honest.

Advice to Management

Stop hijacking the organization’s time, money, and resources on massive programs that are expensive and are not delivering value. Start focusing on delivering business results.

USG2018-12-14
  6. "Strategic Sourcing"

I worked at USG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, GREAT work/life balance, good team

Cons

Savings goals can be unrealistic

USG2018-05-03
  7. "Good place to work"

I have been working at USG full-time

Pros

Work in IT with sharp, hard working individuals. Very supportive environment with management. Company has good vision with its new CEO. Good work-life balance. The corporate location is fantastic for commuters taking the train - conveniently located by OTC & Union stations.

Cons

Every job is going to have downsides, nothing really stands out with USG to warrant avoiding working here. My only concern is how tightly it is tied to the housing industry, so, you're riding the highs and lows of the industry.

Advice to Management

None - Keep up the good work.

USG2017-12-23

"Say one thing mean another bosses"

Current Employee - Supervisor in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at USG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees always help one another, safe, won't fire you for messing up product. Good place to stay if you wanted a long career

Cons

Weekly swing shift, management will preach safety when everyone is around but always force production over safety, work life balance is nonexistent, management does not care about employees only dry wall

Advice to Management

Stop the swing shift. Listen to your employees. And stop preaching safety if all you care about is productivity, we all can see through your lies

USG2017-05-26

"Great People"

I worked at USG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co-workers throughout the company. Many have been there for 20 years or more. Each one always had something to contribute. They always try to make you feel like you're part of a team. My time with the company will always be remembered as a positive point in my career.

Cons

Some of the managers can be stuck in their ways and not be open to new methods. A few of these managers also state the importance of work/life balance but do very little to follow through. The salary is also not necessarily the highest for certain positions.

Advice to Management

Actively practice what you preach when it comes to work/life balance. There are many in the company willing to put the extra hours in their work from time to time but burnout quickly when that sacrifice becomes the expected norm. You have a lot of great people working there and they should be treated as such.

USG2017-04-28

"Not the place I loved....."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at USG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees are dedicated and push boundaries - great culture of work/life balance and family-first thinking.

Cons

The management team is completely disconnected with all sorts of weird power plays happening on the 18th floor which unfortunately translates to annual lay-offs, the loss of some amazing and smart people and budget cuts that make it nearly impossible to maintain a competitive advantage. Employees are paranoid to spend money or say the wrong thing for fear of their job/reputation. Consistently cutting marketing and... sales spending which makes it harder and harder to compete when frankly our competition is investing. Outdated and legacy technology platforms that are hobbled together makes it hard to do the most basic jobs - like customer service - I think we are still on green screens! We launch new products, build momentum and then don't invest in the plants so we can't manufacture the product. Definitely don't put the customer first.

Advice to Management

Management needs to stop worrying about their own titles and salaries and start thinking about what made this company so great in the first place. The CEO has surrounded himself with only those who say "yes sir". I wouldn't be surprised if the company is sold or acquired due to poor top of house management.

USG2016-05-03