UW Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UW Medicine CEO Paul G. Ramsey
Paul G. Ramsey

Pros
  • Great benefits, good service culture (in 24 reviews)

• Most people leave around 3:30 pm so work-life balance is great if you're into that (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff are heavily managed while upper management is either unaware or tolerates the behavior (in 6 reviews)

• low pay, terrible CEO just got fired (in 5 reviews)

1. "Pro Fee coder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable over all compensation package. Some remote work allowed. Public transit allows easy access to the office on mandatory office days.

Cons

Poor leadership in supervisors, managers and director in the charge capture area. Lack of communication in most areas. Mandatory overtime and vacation freezes during November and December holidays.

"dangerous for patients"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

co-workers care about patients and safety, enjoy seeing patients get better after being really sick

Cons

management doesn't care about patient safety. Overworked because they want to save money, not enough employees to take care of patients in the way they need to be. No cost of living raise for 8 years or more. Parking expensive and keeps going up even with no cost of living raise. management doesn't listen to employees concerns reguarding patient safety violations.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees so patients can be properly cared for. Pay attention to employees concerns about patient safety, don't just brush it under the carpet and think it will go away.

"A circus of bad, uninformed workers and the worst management I have ever witnessed"

Former Employee - Security Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

Short commute from my neighborhood. Most of the people are nice but there is spillover from the pettiness of social groups in high school. Very bland environment,

Cons

Managers are allowed to make the same poor decisions over and over again at the expense of losing talent on a monthly basis. Nobody ever seems to have their performance evaluations. Which only leads to many UW Medicine employees left scratching their heads about what trajectory their career is on. The official first day in my new role in ITS Security, the Director was fired. I passed up a job I should have ran for rather than stay. The pay is far off from the real world and whats worse is that very rarely does anyone ever get a raise.

Advice to Management

Retire before somebody gets hurt or you get so many fines by the OCR you'll be forced into bankruptcy. Continue to outsource your risk assessment endeavors and continue to abuse those who cower to your so called authority. Maybe understand HIPAA and NIST security frameworks a little more than being able to quickly spout out acronyms that only make upper management seem desperate.

5. "Job description doesn't reflect job"

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UW Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, (most) of my colleagues are fantastic human beings, my director is amazing

Cons

Inconsistent pay for same job (my predecessor made nearly 35k more than my initial offer because I was an internal hire - I mean, you do realize state employee salaries are public record, right?), overworked, under appreciated - "vacation" means nothing because once you get back to work, you have 2 weeks of backlog waiting for you. There is no coverage in my specific field which means taking time-off means almost nothing. I often work while claiming vacation hours.

There is very little corrective action taken against MDs who can be down-right abusive. Some MDs have unbelievably unrealistic expectations and create additional work out of thin air even when one is struggling to keep up with other demands (which also came out of thin are). Multiple complaints have been made against specific MDs yet I have seen no change in behavior. This is very in consistent with Studer principles.

Advice to Management

If you're going to tout being a world-class institution that utilizes Studer principles (which I think are amazing) then these principles need to be applied across the board. Remember ... employee satisfaction = patient satisfaction. It's right there in the Studer material you freely provide.

"UW Medicine is purely concerned about profits; not healthcare as they proclaim."

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UW Medicine/UW Physicians pays fairly well and had decent benefits. When I first began working there, the management style was relaxed and caring.

Cons

As the organization grew and as management changed, the focus changed from providing excellent service to patients, to how can we, as a non-profit organization, increase our profits. Benefits were reduced or eliminated and the organization continued to violate both federal and state employment laws.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as you would want to be treated. Think about your actions and compare them to how you would feel if you were an employee and not a manager.

"Software Engineer (ITS)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UW Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-back environment. Ok benefits. Good vacation time.

Cons

Management at UW Medicine ITS department is as incompetent as it could get. They have no idea how things work and hence, asking for very strange things to be done.
    Management is highly self-centered and having no clue where it is going.
    Highly inefficient in the work they are doing.
    Extremely politicized environment. Washington state needs to cut a lot staff at this place. Half the people can do the same job.

Advice to Management

Leave.

8. "Very little room to grow"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get the job.

Cons

Supervisor is not clear, and leave little room for students to grow.

9. "Difficult culture"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UW Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

State employees have great benefits but don't seem to care about the organization they work for. The location in Seattle is good. Many people work here and don't leave.

Cons

Leaders and staff put their own personal interests ahead of the organization's well-being. This results in a very challenging and disappointing culture, which is often surprisingly hostile.

The environment lacks teamwork and communication is quite poor.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to support the mission of the organization and put this ahead of your career ambitions.

"Top notch medical providers and great patient population, but horrible administration"

Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The patients you serve, doctors, nurses and staff who truly care about 'Patient's First." The history of the facilities. The contact with some extremely intelligent people who provide innovative and responsive medical care.

Cons

The administration who are so far removed from patient contact they could care less except for their status, salary and power. No personal growth opportunity. Expect 50 to 60 hours of work for 40 hours salary. (Administration does not manage the physicians or nurses btw). Administration does very little work except for holding meetings and reading email. Departments are compartmentalized and territorial.

Advice to Management

Next time the University needs to tighten its budget, why not have all the administrators that earn over $80K take a 10% salary cut, rather than squeeze it out of the workforce who are doing the work and demonstrating that "Patients are First".

"Bullying culture, treated like cattle"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location in downtown area

Cons

Contact Center employees were treated like sweat shop employees and objects. Lots of focus on errors and no praise. Overworked and disrespected.Management had very unrealistic expectations. Served 150 clinics and scheduled appointments for 50. 90 calls a day. Expected 99.5 rating on all metrics always. Scolded us when we took vacation time. None of the employees were happy there. Tried to block the union getting in there. Hostile towards minorities, people over 40 and people on FMLA. Constant inconsistencies in standards. Lots of employee turnover. Bad supervisors and upper management making bad decisions. The worst place I have ever worked on every level. Lack of compassion for patients. Do not put patients first. Did not care about our rapport with patients, just wanted calls to last a maximum of 4 minutes

Advice to Management

Try being human