UW Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
UW Medicine CEO Paul G. Ramsey
Paul G. Ramsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Provide a good salary, excellent benefits, and a better work/life balance than a lot of tech companies (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits and employee recognition (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Hope to get higher cost of living pay raises during contract bargaining (in 5 reviews)

• There is little support from upper management, and there is little to no accountability for actions (in 7 reviews)

"Man up and fire managers"

Current Employee - Patient Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Patient Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UW Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really have no idea

Cons

Don't support UW, if you're on an ambulance ask the driver to take you somewhere else.

I watch everyday how my department don't know anything about patient care and work only in clerical/billing and make our organization look like a joke. There are so many organizations that provide so much better care and many of the doctors at other hospitals have their residency at UW anyways. I've watched outrageous treatment to patients and here is why I think it happens, bullying.

As an employee I am harassed by my manager for my race and being white, she's made outrageous comments but she won't get in trouble. Managers and supervisors are allowed to bully and pick on people or provide favoritism and they just transfer they never get let go. They encourage bullying among staff members. I have watched almost ten of my colleagues/friends get let go.

The bullying environment trickles down to our patients because it's part of our culture. The feedback that I see is that patients are effected because the culture is that of bullying. Our organization should invest in serious investigation of harassment and bullying by asking "the little guy" or smaller employees because it is in the air the moment you are in the building. That is not a healing environment or a safe one.

I am an an employee and I would not come here. I would go elsewhere because I know that the goal is monetary and not patient care. We have a lot of ignorant people without direct patient care experience and that even really makes a difference in clerical/financial.

Advice to Management

They need to get rid of leads, supervisors, and managers (who are just waiting it our for their retirement) by consolidating leadership. Leads are not essential. They should not keep them or let them take a step down either, rather find a way for them to exit. People like this are not in healthcare for the right reason and this affects our customer service. Employees like this affect our patients, their care, and safety. It's a good "old girls club" in my department and while my department isn't patient care I see how much of a negative impact we have on care.

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears"

Current Employee - Clerical in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Clerical in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UW Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a seat warmer for a better opportunity

Cons

Horrible leadership. Too many cooks and too many supervisors, leads, and managers. Bullying and micromanagement to the fullest. Our leads are paid so much overtime as a bribe to do managements bidding. Overflowing with seniority on evening and night shift for who need to retire.

Advice to Management

Get rid of leads, supervisors, and managers by consolidating leadership. Leads are not essential. Don't keep them or let them take a step down either, find a way for them to exit. They drain with benefits, retirement, and overtime.

"Scary and very sad"

I have been working at UW Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience and UW name only

Cons

One of the scariest places I have ever worked. Managers are allowed to bully, they orchestrate employees to gang up on one person. Reverse racism is something that goes on. A old colleague of mine I ran into and I reminisced about old times, he is on his way to PA school and works for another hospital now. The care is not anything extodinary that I have seen. As far as an employee, there has been verabl lashings from management and reverse racism. Instead of them getting in any trouble they are shuffled around to another department for leaders to save face. I'm not sure if leaders really know what is going on. We are pressured to fill out surverys distribued by HR, you have to be careful about what you say since it is review by HR. Managment is drunk on power, power trips allow bullying. Bullying usulaly consists of ganing up on one person. It's one of the unbelievable places I've been. Consider the care you get and how their employees are treated before going here. Either top leadership ignores this and is fine with management behaving like this or is truly unaware.

Advice to Management

Doesn't seem like they care, more like they enjoy it...

4. "Pro Fee coder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable over all compensation package. Some remote work allowed. Public transit allows easy access to the office on mandatory office days.

Cons

Poor leadership in supervisors, managers and director in the charge capture area. Lack of communication in most areas. Mandatory overtime and vacation freezes during November and December holidays.

5. "Negative"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly wage and benefits were good.

Cons

I worked at one of the neighborhood clinics full time. Management was unprofessional and played favoritism. The manager constantly micro managed and the cooperate to all the gossip that was going on in the work place. It was hard to focus on my job because of the negative environment. The communication was very very poor.

"dangerous for patients"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at UW Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

co-workers care about patients and safety, enjoy seeing patients get better after being really sick

Cons

management doesn't care about patient safety. Overworked because they want to save money, not enough employees to take care of patients in the way they need to be. No cost of living raise for 8 years or more. Parking expensive and keeps going up even with no cost of living raise. management doesn't listen to employees concerns reguarding patient safety violations.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees so patients can be properly cared for. Pay attention to employees concerns about patient safety, don't just brush it under the carpet and think it will go away.

"Don't bother"

Pros

Nothing really. Sick time is easily abused by career idlers. Ipsem lorem. Ipsem lorem.

Cons

Don't bother if you want a real career. Management are buffoons.

Advice to Management

Retire.

"A circus of bad, uninformed workers and the worst management I have ever witnessed"

Former Employee - Security Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

Short commute from my neighborhood. Most of the people are nice but there is spillover from the pettiness of social groups in high school. Very bland environment,

Cons

Managers are allowed to make the same poor decisions over and over again at the expense of losing talent on a monthly basis. Nobody ever seems to have their performance evaluations. Which only leads to many UW Medicine employees left scratching their heads about what trajectory their career is on. The official first day in my new role in ITS Security, the Director was fired. I passed up a job I should have ran for rather than stay. The pay is far off from the real world and whats worse is that very rarely does anyone ever get a raise.

Advice to Management

Retire before somebody gets hurt or you get so many fines by the OCR you'll be forced into bankruptcy. Continue to outsource your risk assessment endeavors and continue to abuse those who cower to your so called authority. Maybe understand HIPAA and NIST security frameworks a little more than being able to quickly spout out acronyms that only make upper management seem desperate.

"Worst Exit Experience I probably could have had."

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

I was able to escape.

Cons

The moment I gave notice the facade dropped. I was astounded by the absolute lack of professionalism, especially after the amount of work I had done for the team. The threats, gossip and terrible management practices I experienced over my last two weeks made me 100% thrilled to escape this place. On top of that, due to HR's absolute lack of process, they never got around to officially closing my position and I an extra paycheck deposit that I had to sort out,

Advice to Management

More and more unprofessional at every turn.

"Job description doesn't reflect job"

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UW Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, (most) of my colleagues are fantastic human beings, my director is amazing

Cons

Inconsistent pay for same job (my predecessor made nearly 35k more than my initial offer because I was an internal hire - I mean, you do realize state employee salaries are public record, right?), overworked, under appreciated - "vacation" means nothing because once you get back to work, you have 2 weeks of backlog waiting for you. There is no coverage in my specific field which means taking time-off means almost nothing. I often work while claiming vacation hours.

There is very little corrective action taken against MDs who can be down-right abusive. Some MDs have unbelievably unrealistic expectations and create additional work out of thin air even when one is struggling to keep up with other demands (which also came out of thin are). Multiple complaints have been made against specific MDs yet I have seen no change in behavior. This is very in consistent with Studer principles.

Advice to Management

If you're going to tout being a world-class institution that utilizes Studer principles (which I think are amazing) then these principles need to be applied across the board. Remember ... employee satisfaction = patient satisfaction. It's right there in the Studer material you freely provide.