Uber Reviews | Glassdoor

Travis Kalanick
1,290 Ratings

2,228 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance isn't really "a thing" at Uber (in 172 reviews)

• Im Putting more wear and tear on my car than i had first anticipated (in 146 reviews)

"An amazing and inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love being able to work around truly passionate people who are ready to change the world. The culture is great, free snacks and food is big plus. I had the opportunity to take ownership of projects within my first month

Cons

The hours are much longer than any other job I've worked in, but this is expected to change as we continue hiring more help

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I'm excited to see the company grow and mature and hope that we don't lose the strong culture we have now

Jan 6, 2016 – Careers Brand Lead

Great review, thank you!

"Not great for Women"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting products, lots of international exposure. The most lavish and cutting edge tech I've ever seen. Brilliant and passionate co-workers, tho it takes a good 6 months to figure out processes - and just when you do, there's a re-org!! Unbelievably cush-y perks in the office (beware of the snacks!).

Cons

Emotionally unintelligent male managers (all the way up to the CEO) make it hard for women to feel heard and valued. Disappointing. The hours are also INSANE but that's to be expected, I guess. They provide dinner at 8 pm and free rides home from the office at 10. That pretty. Much says it all.

Advice to Management

Get someone to "handle" TK. Too many glib comments in the media about driverless cars does little to convince Drivers that we value and appreciate them.

Sep 30, 2016 – Global Marketing Strategist

Hi - thanks for taking the time to write up this review. While I love the pros you call out - cutting edge tech, smart coworkers, international exposure - the cons are concerning and in my time here ... More

"Positive experience despite negative press"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber (Less than a year)

Pros

- Uber has hired some of the best people in the industry. I've never worked with more intelligent and driven people.
    - Compensation, perks, and benefits were very competitive with companies of similar size.
    - The technology stack has matured considerably after some initial growing pains. Engineers can provision infrastructure and build/deploy services without excessive red tape.
    - Surprisingly strong, positive cultural values. They are really woven into every day work–used as hashtags, referenced by leadership, etc. Most other companies just create a list of cultural values and forget them.

Cons

- Uber has a bad reputation and is constantly the subject of controversy, protests, and negative press. While Uber is not perfect, I do believe the company has matured since its early years and leadership does take these matters seriously from what I've seen. If you can't handle seeing a negative headline about your employer, Uber may not be for you, but for those that can handle it and want to make a positive impact on our culture and reputation, this shouldn't be an issue.
    - Teams and people can shift around frequently as the company continues to grow. This is probably a good thing overall for the company but it can feel jarring at times.
    - People work hard–not necessarily because of deadlines but because many of their coworkers are smart, driven, and hard-working people so the bar is set high (that's my experience at least). This is ultimately what you make of it–many people stay late but many people also get into work past 10:00am. Remote work is pretty flexible too which is a plus.

Mar 21, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Thanks for the review and for joining us for the ride! While we're a fast-moving company and there's been constant change, I think some of the changes you'll see from the P&P org in the coming months ... More

5. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has an awesome and clear mission. Knowing that your work directly impacts mobility of millions of riders and income for millions of drivers is extremely motivating. In addition, working on innovation towards a robotic company is awesome. The environment is perfect for working towards challenging problems and there are no politics. Extremely talented and intelligent people around.

Cons

Personally, i cannot complaint about anything.

Advice to Management

Improve PR. What Uber is inside is not well projected to the outside world.

Mar 23, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Awesome review, thank you! Great to hear you're enjoying your time at Uber. Thanks for joining us for the ride.

6. "Driving for Uber"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Great if you want to work for yourself and set your own hours.
    On demand work is great if you want to pick people up, especially on surge.
    Uber Eats is not so bad if you manage to pick up the food, get to someones home and then have to cancel the trip since they do not wish to pick up their phones or answer heir doors to get the food.... free food for drivers :)

Cons

Get to destroy your own car to make some money.
    If you don't drive right, you will make less money than being able to pay off the car + the cost of maintenance including gas.
    If no surge, there is no point in working.
    No tip option.
    Get time outs for not accepting rides 30 minutes away while there is a massive surge where the vehicle and driver are at.
    Ubereats requires finding a parking spot to get the food, some restaurants have no parking spots so have to cancel a lot of the trips or risk getting car towed/get a ticket for parking in the busy street.

Advice to Management

Put in a tipping option.
    Get an improved public image. I'm not really sure why management can't get anything right. Any other company has a great image and great leaders. This company treats everyone like dirt.
    Get rid of ratings and scare tactics of telling drivers and riders tipping is not allowed, stop preventing drivers from receiving requests to pick people up in a surge.
    Improve the servers so that the drivers can receive pings quickly and not have to sit around waiting for hours for a ping in the middle of a busy area.

7. "Uber Driver"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Uber as a contractor

Pros

Control of own hours

Cons

Not honest about pay

8. "Fast paced, dynamic and engaging"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* great people
    * great product
    * great perks and benefits
    * diverse
    * dynamic
    * high energy
    * continuously improving

Cons

* misconstrued values
    * some unilateral thinkers
    * performance process

Advice to Management

Practice conscious management, reduce reactive behaviours, reduce telling. Focus on asking the questions and not having all the answers; demonstrate true curiosity and interest. I think leadership is less about enforcing and more about inspiring through deep connection with the people.

Mar 23, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Thanks so much for sending in a review. The "Advice to Management" section is especially thoughtful and valuable here; I really like how you mention "leadership is less about enforcing and more about ... More

9. "Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very transparent about the role and the challenges people face. Efficient and timely interview process. Everyone is honest and willing to give your their opinion.

Cons

Intense! The super day is back to back and they certainly test you

Advice to Management

N/A

Mar 21, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Great to hear you're enjoying your time so far in SF. Thanks for the review!

10. "Flexibility"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Nice to be able to work when I want to, stop work when I want to take a break.

Cons

The driver app can be a bit flaky sometimes, but I've learned to work around it.

Advice to Management

Appreciate drivers. They are the face of the company!

11. "Uber driver san antonio"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

I dont understand why there a rating on the app if a uber driver goes below 4.60 they get deactivated that such BS when im driving my passengers i always saying hello always offering snacks and water and i still get bad ratings. Why uber passengers are ya being like that in san Antonio ya should appreciate what we do for ya....

Cons

Alot of crazy drivers out there be careful

Showing 2,228 of 2,881 reviews