Uber Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1,363 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Meet new people and about 95 percent of customers usually are easy to get along with (in 99 reviews)

• You have the ability to work whenever you want (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance isn't really "a thing" at Uber (in 178 reviews)

• You put wear and tear on your own vehicle (in 158 reviews)

"Uber is an amazing company to work for"

I worked at Uber full-time

Pros

Uber is an amazing brand, and a company that's disrupting the transportation industry
    The people you work with on a daily basis are very talented
    There are some cool perks (like subsidized gym membership and free Uber)

Cons

There really aren't many cons... Perhaps pay could have been better, and you will have to work "startup hours" (although they're nowhere near what bankers have to put up with).

"Great company"

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with a lot of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Not big enough to be a big company but not small enough to be a startup anymore.

"I love working with Uber. It’s the greatest company I’ve ever worked with."

Current Employee - Logistics and Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Logistics and Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uber is a startup that inspires us to work in eager want – we don’t work because we’re getting paid, we work because in our hearts and minds, we want Uber to grow and be incredibly successful.

We debate till 4 am about who our next hire should be, in heated arguments, because we are a family. When we hire someone, they become part of that family, and our Uber family is nothing short of incredible.

Imagine a company wide international “workation”, where instead of staying in a posh hotel and holding conferences and seminars, you split into small groups of 10-15 people, airbnb a big house in places like Stockholm and Melbourne, & eat, sleep, work, and party together as a team. That’s family.

Imagine a job where you directly (read – personally know and) help thousands of people each year. Drivers who used to work in unbelievably terrible conditions to provide for their families can now earn more income and enjoy a better living by partnering with Uber. Female drivers, who were previously shunned in this industry, now feel safe (no cash) and confident (zero discrimination) while driving their car. It’s great knowing I’m working with a company that empowers drivers to feel safe and earn a livable wage.

Imagine creating a more efficient city, where riders no longer waste gas in their own cars, where drivers are directed using a computer algorithm to pickup and drop off passengers in the most efficient way possible, and where pollution in a city actually decreases because consumers are making smarter choices. Imagine being empowered by an entire engineering team that constantly listens to your feedback, and builds tools to make you more exponentially more effective than you were yesterday.

Imagine delighting customers with surprise "Ubercades", or making them cry with joy when they receive an on-demand barbershop quartet song and roses from their beloved.

Imagine reducing the number of deaths that occur due to drunk driving. Imagine the sadness prevented, the lives saved, and the future memories created because people are making more responsible decisions and leaving their cars at home when they drink.

And Imagine being part of a team so wickedly focused, so incredibly smart, that you have to pinch yourself weekly to realize how lucky you are to be a part of this culture forming, industry disrupting, pollution eliminating, customer delighting, DUI preventing “company”. But it’s not a company. It’s a community, and it’s way of life.

Cons

If you can't hustle, you'll have a hard time succeeding here. Be ready to work hard and put in the hours to help grow this once in a lifetime opportunity

Advice to Management

You guys rock. Thanks for keeping us focused, and thanks for letting us innovate on a city-by-city level.

Each city feels like it's own startup, and it's great. Also, thanks for the big-picture vision, and for keeping us excited for the future.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great work environment and great people

Cons

They could have better management

"Great company, constant action, huge growth, enormous amounts of love."

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is growing incredibly quickly. Everyone is pumped about the business. The day-to-day is constant puzzle solving. You're surrounded by motivated people who love the company. Relatively flat structure. You see the impact of your work on a day-to-day basis. Everyone outside of Uber is excited about Uber. Since starting at Uber, all my old college friends want to get back in touch.

Cons

Holidays are work days - be prepared to work like crazy. Your significant other must really love you to stay with you with these hours. You must love Uber to work at Uber. Management is young and figuring itself out, but CEO is one of the great CEOs of the world. He loves the company and empowers employees. The structure is becoming slightly more hierarchical which is natural for a company growing at this pace.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees as you currently do.

"Uber takes care of it's employees"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Work never feels like work. You get to shape your own successes and watch the impact directly. Managers and colleagues feel more like family. The company takes care of you.

Cons

It's not a 9-5. Work bleeds into your night and weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Growing company, fantastic work environment"

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's not like Uber is some sort of charity, but we still feel like we're affecting the world with what we do here. In a city like San Francisco, where it was nearly impossible to find a taxi cab in the past, democratizing the transportation landscape is incredibly exciting and fulfilling. The great news is the work environment is also game-changing. Everyone is working hard, towards a purpose that goes past twice-monthly paychecks.

Cons

There are growing pains, absolutely. With a seemingly never-ending customer base that grows by the hour, keeping our systems up to date and working correctly is a challenge. When new initiatives are pushed through, the workload can be a bit taxing.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring engineers. The teams you've created are working wonders, but there's a potential for people to get overworked. Otherwise, keep doing what you do. The culture is great, and clearly this is a service people are excited to use.

"Love the work you do."

Current Employee - Community Operations Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Community Operations Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with smart people in a challenging, fast paced, and fun environment - working here is life changing.

The people I work with are now some of my closest friends. They are without a doubt some of the most passionate, brilliant, hard working individuals I have had a privilege to know. On top of they are people that I truly care about and feel truly care about me - everyone is rooting for one another to succeed.

I could not imagine a company that has inspired me to learn more, be better, and push harder. I feel ownership over the work that I do and the growth that I see in the company. Everyday is a new experience, a new problem to solve, or a new question to answer.

The work/life balance is challenging, but people have fun and have a sense of humor. People share interests, spend time together outside of the office, and celebrate hard work. We're obsessed with Uber - it's a requirement.

Cons

As much a pro as it is a con - there is a degree of uncertainty in working here. The company is changing fast and if you're not ready for it, you can get whiplash.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We have a transparent and open culture, it's unlike any other place in the world.

"Great work place at least at HQ. Different cities and driver might have a very different experience"

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was surprised about the amount of smart to very smart people working here. The company culture makes it so everybody learns from each other, and at least for my software engineer position, it makes the job much more interesting. Compensation is not competitive for the bay, but people bet on the stocks, and if you believe in it, it is a game changer in comparison with higher salaries you could get somewhere else.
    My favorite part is that most people ( if not all ? ) are truly passionate about what they're doing here and we thrive with the belief that we're making a difference for people.
    Perks are better than what they sound like during the interview.

Cons

This company requires a LOT of work. I'm not talking about startup like, you will get emails at any time of day or night, week days and weekends. Some of them you will be expected to respond. It looks fine for most people because everybody is very involved in what they're doing, so most people don't seem to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if some burn out quickly.
    The company is also growing at a fast rate, which makes it difficult to know if things are still gonna be as good in the future ( so far so good though... )

Advice to Management

Make sure to control our growth internally to pursue our external growth properly.

"WAS considering working for Uber"

Current Employee - Trained in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Trained in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good idea but bad management & ownership

Cons

horrible treatment to employees. ..This company sounds very greedy!

Advice to Management

to owners. .not management. fix your company or I'll start a better one & put you out of business. you can't even handle con remarks & listen to your employees. you're not going to last! looks like maybe you don't care about lasting.

Showing 1,363 of 3,350 reviews