Uber Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Driver"

Former Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Former Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber (More than a year)

Pros

Create your own schedule. work as long as you want. Diversity of work environment and meeting new people

Cons

No Tips at the time built into the app, passengers treated you and the car like a Taxi, passengers were entitled for unrealistic expectations sometimes, no ability to call for support

2. "Fast pace, incredibly transparent"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best companies to be a part of if you want to make an impact. An impact that will last a life time. Everyone is super smart and wants to do the right thing. Lots of excitement and optimism for the new CEO as well. Oh and the CHRO and SVP of strategy rock

Cons

The marketing function sorely lacks a great leader. Mid managers are busy looking out for themselves versus developing and nurturing their high performing teams. Get burnt out easily. Gotta keep your self motivated.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who are leaders. Implement promotion policies that are uniformly applicable and understood.

Sep 21, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Love how you call out the impact of work. I couldn't agree more. I've also passed your feedback and advice on internally. Thanks for the review.

3. "It is indeed Uber2.0- collaborative environment and good quality work"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good quality projects that actually matter, growing company, vibrant culture, wonderful management and team mates, collaborative environment, very nice work environment unlike what has been reported in the news last few months.

Cons

can get too fast paced at times

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing. looking forward to the new CEO and the culture reforms he will bring along.

Sep 21, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Thanks so much! Great to hear you're enjoying your time at Uber and appreciate the culture, management, and environment. Keep up the great work.

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineers sourced from the best companies in the valley, the most challenging problems to solve right now (your work will be more interesting and real-world than comparable companies).

Cons

Definitely has less perks than the other big software companies out here, outside of Amazon.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to management, as we're under new leadership and it's too soon to have any armchair opinions.

Sep 21, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

I really like how you call out that we're working on the most challenging problems of our time. I completely agree. Thanks for the review, keep up the great work.

5. "Transitioning from a fast-growing start-up to a large company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work, having a manager an a team that really cares about your growth.

Cons

Company-wise collaboration spirit was under-developed; and projects are sometimes redundant across teams (but both are changing for the better).

Sep 21, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Completely agree -- the two cons you mention have really improved over the last few months, and I'm confident will continue to get better. Thanks for the review!

6. "Awesome company with great future!"

Current Employee - Data Science Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Science Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Coolest problems to tackle
    - Super talented and nice workforce
    - Huge business upside

Cons

- Competitive industry --- sometimes strategy feels a bit too reactive to competition
    - Growth over profitability

Sep 21, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Thanks for taking the time -- keep up the great work.

7. "Great Job"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber (More than a year)

Pros

easy and simple.. You can pick your own scedule. The money adds up.

Cons

Not a lot of Job security

Advice to Management

keep your car clean, plan at how much money you will spend

8. "Driver"

Current Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the flexibility of setting my our hours

Cons

Long hours away from home and a lot of maintenance on car without compensation

Advice to Management

Offer more maintenance incentives for drivers who put in a lot of hours.

"An incredibly talented staff with way too much to do"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an engineer at Uber, you're presented with a unique opportunity to have a very high impact-to-unit-work, and to release products that go live instantly worldwide. The IC-level talent is phenomenal; you're working with bright engineers, designers, and data scientists who all have incredible drive and talent. It's a great place to grow and learn. This has been Uber's biggest value prop to technical members of staff to date, and it still holds true. You have the opportunity to work on world-class platforms and build product experiences from scratch, which is cool no matter how you slice it.

Despite Uber's public woes, there's clearly an earnest effort by executive leadership to solve the company's cultural problems. Liane Hornsey has led a mighty effort to systematically address the many, many accumulated issues that Uber has accrued. Dara seems right-headed as well, and seems keen on addressing his (very accurate, I believe) read on the company's problems.

The catered food is free and pretty great. There are some down days in quality, but anyone who says the food sucks is probably just accustomed to the likes of Google or Facebook's excellent free fare.

Cons

Managers who are supportive, proactive, and empathetic are unfortunately the exception, not the rule. I imagine some of this stems from scope problems (most managers simply have too many direct reports; my first had something near 20), but if you talk with engineers, there are a scant few who don't have a story about how their manager really let them down during a promotion cycle, review cycle, or project in a manner that was obscurantist at best or callous at worst.

Teams often try to parallelize the product development cycle. This has repeatedly been the source of a lot of stress and thrashing on important projects. Engineers will be asked to work in parallel with product and design contributors, meaning that as the product design changes, engineers will need to follow along. It's often unclear when and how a design will change, or even whether it will change again; there's just not a good communication pipeline or standardized workflow on a number of teams.

If you're an engineer, there's an immense onus placed on you to drive the success of your projects. Engineers are the last filter between a product's idea and its implementation, and so the responsibility falls on them to account for not only product edge cases, but gaps in design documentation (which is never formalized, and usually just a set of slides that requires a follow-up meeting or three to clarify), and team workflow.

In short, the culture is that if anything gets in your way, if there's any blocker you hit, if anything at all is unclear, that is YOUR sole responsibility to surmount. This creates a lot of stress, because it is at odds with being thorough in an environment where productivity and throughput are first-class engineering values.

Advice to Management

Uber's problem seems to be that its eyes are too big for its stomach: its desired scope of product is just too large for the resources it has on-hand. Managers, PMs, and ICs alike all have too much to do, and as a consequence:
    - Product teams never have the time to add polish to a product, because they're forced to move onto the next project to address their (too) many OKRs
    - Engineers don't have the time to proactively help out their peers, so there's not a good culture of support
    - No one has time to do anything but grind on-the-job; there are hardly any clubs or employee interest groups, and no real sense of community. The company just doesn't seem to have much joy.

Scale back your expectations, or hire a lot more people. Uber's engineering culture has sustained, but doesn't seem to be sustainable.

10. "hit 3 month mark on the 3 most challenging months for the company"

Current Employee - Marketing Analytics Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analytics Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the marketing analytics group; a brand new team, breaking ground on experimentation, modeling, performance marketing and data science. We have hired great talent and have a road map full of challenging projects.

Cons

All the bad press about the company as if we all were responsible for the mistakes of a few people

Advice to Management

There is a new CEO and he is well aware of the issues

Sep 11, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Thanks for the review! Keep up the great work on the marketing analytics team.

Showing 476 of 3,834 reviews