Uber Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Uber CEO, Founder Travis Kalanick
Travis Kalanick

Pros
Cons
  • Can consume your life if you aren't great at work life balance (in 164 reviews)

• Im Putting more wear and tear on my car than i had first anticipated (in 140 reviews)

"Not great for Women"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting products, lots of international exposure. The most lavish and cutting edge tech I've ever seen. Brilliant and passionate co-workers, tho it takes a good 6 months to figure out processes - and just when you do, there's a re-org!! Unbelievably cush-y perks in the office (beware of the snacks!).

Cons

Emotionally unintelligent male managers (all the way up to the CEO) make it hard for women to feel heard and valued. Disappointing. The hours are also INSANE but that's to be expected, I guess. They provide dinner at 8 pm and free rides home from the office at 10. That pretty. Much says it all.

Advice to Management

Get someone to "handle" TK. Too many glib comments in the media about driverless cars does little to convince Drivers that we value and appreciate them.

Sep 30, 2016 – Global Marketing Strategist

Hi - thanks for taking the time to write up this review. While I love the pros you call out - cutting edge tech, smart coworkers, international exposure - the cons are concerning and in my time here ... More

2. "Fast paced and chaotic. Desperate need of process or else it will fall apart."

Current Employee - Growth Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Growth Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get what you put in. Extremely fast paced, long hours and cutting edge technology stack. You work alongside some truly brilliant colleagues.

Cons

Extremely inexperienced managers. Kids have no idea how to build an everlasting process and remove obstacles and barriers. You go around in circles trying to get one simple answer.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. Individual contributors who are stars don't always make great managers. Requires completely different skill sets.

3. "Inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Opportunity for impact. The per-capita impact for each engineer is higher than most other tech firms. At Uber, each engineer has a real impact to the company's bottom-line. This really drives the ownership culture and is inspiring to see.
    * Culture that promotes standing up for what you believe in. If you feel strongly about something, the company encourages you to voice your opinion, even if there's a large discrepancy in rank. At the end of the day, the right idea should win.
    * Exponential personal growth. The engineers who survive here will experience rapid growth in engineering abilities. I learned more in the first 6 months at Uber than I did in the previous 2 years at large tech behemoth.
    * Competitive compensation
    * Convenient perks - free food, monthly credits for Uber and UberEATS

Cons

* Longer than normal hours (compared to other SV firms like Google and Facebook). The longer hours aren't imposed. It's more like you feel inspired to build or improve something that you own.
    * Bad brand PR. Uber is one of the most villified tech companies. While most employees believe these opinions to be based on misinformation, it's demoralizing to know some people see Uber as the "bad guys".

Advice to Management

* Re-think brand management. We need to promote ourselves and highlight the positive impacts we make in cities. I believe Lyft has been doing much better than Uber when it comes to this.
    * Keep standing strong. Even if there are those who oppose us, I and most other employees believe in the company vision. Thank you for having the confidence to stand up for the company and its values, even when the going is rough.

Feb 23, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Thanks for your honesty and candor in this review. You call out valid points in both your pros and cons that we hear consistently on Glassdoor. I've passed your feedback and advice on to leadership ... More

"Growing but at what cost?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started at Uber I was really excited and knew that there would be a ton of opportunity for growth professionally, and I knew it would be a challenge but I was ready to work hard. When I started in 2014 you could feel the energy and excitement, which has mostly gone away at this point. There are still a ton of great employees there and I made great connections. Free food and Uber credits are nice and they do have a good benefits package.

Cons

- POLITICS (even if you try to avoid them you are negatively impacted)
    - Bad hires: In the beginning I think Uber hired a lot of great talent and good people but now it is growing so fast that they are not hiring well, and they are hiring a ton of jerks that do not care about the people or culture and make people feel like you should just be lucky to work at Uber. It's sad - a lot of good talented people are being treated poorly and no one seems to care.
    - No work life balance: expect to work all day, everyday and weekends and to feel like you are still not doing enough
    - No real recognition: Even if you work 24/7 and are good at what you do expect to be told you aren't doing enough and to wonder why you aren't being taken care of financially. This is leading to burn out and vets of the company leaving
    - Trust: Everyone is out to protect themselves and will throw you under the bus to look good really quickly, no one trusts anyone anymore

Advice to Management

Take a look at the leadership that you are currently hiring and when chaos ensues on their teams that is a red flag.
    Treat your hard working employees with respect and recognize how dedicated they are.
    Don't forget the employees that have been with the company for a while, they are the ones that have believed in the mission from day one and should not be disregarded for new people trying to cash in and jump on the Uber bandwagon.

Mar 7, 2016 – Careers Brand Lead

Thank you for your candor and sharing your thoughts on working here. You're completely right -- keep the bar high in terms of hiring and ensure that as we grow we don't get bureaucratic and keep the ... More

6. "great money for the time"

Former Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Former Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber (More than a year)

Pros

decent side gig for the money

Cons

drunk passengers are a pain

7. "Hustling and productive"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to exposed to lots of tech stacks, from Python, Node, to Go and Java. You get to learn things super fast, tons of opportunitis to learn open source tools and data engineer pipelines.

Cons

Not too much cons. Putting way too much effort on product features instead of long term investment on the engineer culture. Maybe it's just my team.

Feb 14, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

Appreciate the review and feedback! I love that you feel you're learning new skills quickly, as that's one thing we've consistently heard and strive to maintain. Keep up the great work.

8. "Sr. Operation Localization Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Operation Localization Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork, open communication, lots of collaboration efforts so you don't feel you hit the end dead or being a dead weight, per se. The Company is very open for anything you want to say; weekly company update feels like you are part of the crew; like owning it and not renting it. If you want challenges, this is the right place; good for your careers and develop lots of skills while at it! The team i am in now, it's great to be part of as we are scaling globally and be part of this team is an honor and privilege. You don't get to be part of the young team that will shape billion people around the world when using Uber Apps for nothing, especially you are defining that team's process, end to end scopes and evangelize Localization best practices.

Cons

well, new team/company comes with limited tools, processes, and resources; so I am wearing multiple hats; but I don't think this is a Cons since this helps you to grow to be the better of yourself from the career stands point, and not rather a burden. The only Cons i would have to say is, I wish there is a Uber shuttle from south bay.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you are doing great and aiming at the right direction

Feb 14, 2017 – Careers Brand Team

You call out many pros I agree with, like transparency, communication, personally challenging, and opportunity for growth, that make working at Uber unique. Thanks so much for the review and keep it ... More

9. "Drive for money"

Current Employee - Pro Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Pro Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chose times to work. No

Cons

Customers treat you like service help. Car pool customers are especially poor at social skills and public etiquette. Many are snotty, immature and downright patronizing.

Advice to Management

Stop reducing pay and reward drivers with more compensation. Communicate to riders that we rate them and that we can deactivate their accounts if ratings drop.

10. "Contractors are treated as second class citizens"

Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fast moving workplace
    Exciting things to work on. Always something new.

Cons

Doesn't obey laws. Moral issues.
    Talent isn't top knotch

"Great People, Great Product, But Like any Start-up, builds Structure while generating Chaos as it Grows"

Former Employee - Community Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Community Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Most Intelligent, Talented, and Diverse set of individuals you can work with
    - Training and access to resources will help you learn and grow in whichever field you're from
    - Everyone's helpful
    - Folks are passionate about the brand and the product, almost cult-like
    - Quality/Competence of people is standardized globally-- I've worked with a lot of folks in my position based all over the world and everyone seems to have sound, technical backgrounds and expertise. You'd be hard-pressed to find co-workers who haven't done anything significant prior to entering Uber (not to say there aren't a few who slip through the cracks)

Cons

- As with any other company, as it grows, political environment at work takes a toll on employees (if you're the loudest, you get farther)
    - Hit-and-miss with immediate managers-- you might get a manager who'll help you maximize your talents, but you'll also work with some who don't care about you except for their own interests
    - Long hours (well, this is a pro if you're a workaholic), so get ready to have your personal time confused with your work time
    - Great benefits (free lunch in almost any country where Uber's based at), but need to have higher base salaries for the amount of work you put into the company
    - You get promoted based on perception-- if you've done what your managers say despite being the wrong way to approach a project/task, then you'll go far-- Even if part of the culture is stepping on toes, once you start lobbying for what's right, if your co-workers don't like you, it's easy to get isolated from the rest
    - You have to build while on-the-fly-- if you're someone who has to think for a long time and assess a situation before you act on it (even if it's the right thing to do sometimes), don't bother applying. You won't fit in and a lot of people/projects will pass you by

Advice to Management

- More focus on keeping employees happier
    - More attention to optimizing work-hours

Showing 392 of 2,731 reviews