Uber Seattle Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2020

4.5
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi
  1. "Great Place to Work At"

Current Employee - Security Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work Life Balance is Awesome. Easy to Integrate into Teams. Compensation is First Class. Contributions are recognized, with awards. Intelligent team members to work with. Excellent training opportunities. Easy to move within the company, job role change.

Cons

Promotion process seems overboard. Multiple competing internal systems. Information scattered, not consolidated or consistent. Fast growing company pains. Average employee tenure length seems low.

Continue reading

"Great company to join, huge potential and great opportunity to join"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

1.Have good platform for you to explore world class technologies. 2.Products are customer facing so it's fun. 3.Culture is good, people are nice and driven.

Cons

Can't think of any Cons.

"Great benefits, terrible change management"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are fantastic (free lunches, unlimited PTO, monthly Uber credits). You can move up and get opportunity as a young person, which I found wasn’t as true at Amazon (age-ist). It’s relatively easy to move internationally.

Cons

Uber is terrible at change management, and can’t figure out how it wants to structure the company. I’ve been through 6+ reorgs in the 1.5 years at the company. In two of these reorgs it was counter goals to the previous one (hire more decentralized offices > centralize in 2 cities, etc.). If Uber wants to be treated like an established company post-IPO, it’s leadership team needs to step it up and learn the basics of change management.

Continue reading

"Great Experience So Far"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Uber is fast-paced and gives you the opportunity to take on responsibility quickly as you build a cool product. The Seattle office has a great work culture where it feels like a startup but you actually get to work normal hours. I'm typically in the office from 8:30a-5:00p, and I tend not to work in the evenings or on the weekends. My colleagues are bright, friendly, and supportive, and the office's site managers do a stellar job of making this a fun environment to work in. There are several employee-led groups focused on anything from diversity to beer-tasting. Lunch, snacks, and drinks are free, and the office is in a beautiful location overlooking Elliot Bay. The company's culture seems to have undergone a heavy overhaul, and my concerns about working in a difficult or toxic environment (based on recent press) have thankfully been completely put at ease. I've been impressed with Dara's leadership and am very optimistic about the future of the company.

Cons

There is a decent amount of technical debt due to moving fast, so data and tooling can hamstring projects and lead to hacky solutions. I think Uber is in a transitional state of figuring out to how to operate at scale with excellence, so I don't think this is a permanent problem. The company is changing rapidly so it can feel a bit like getting whiplash as priorities shift from week-to-week, but as long as you can roll with the punches you'll do well.

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the benefits + culture of the team

Cons

Fast paced, constantly on the move

"Ignore the old reviews"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed work environment Interesting, large scale work Lots of trust to get stuff done

Cons

Not much, maybe better food?

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Changing the world. * Co-workers are super smart -- and super friendly/helpful/supportive. * Interesting work. * Good work/life balance. * Perks (like free lunch) * Constant learning * Extremely competitive compensation * "Unlimited" PTO * Nice offices. * Potential upside of equity

Cons

* Much less time actual coding than at some jobs. * Due to consequences of bugs getting out into the wild, very slow development process. * Potential downside of equity

Continue reading

"Best Company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid people, lean company, very little internal politics and beurocracy, Open source friendly, good compensation, great management, everyone optimistic about the future of the company

Cons

workload might be more than other older tech companies

"High impact product work with strong, healthy culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

High impact, work at global scale in fast-moving environment. Overall very talented colleagues with inclusive, collegial culture – way more than expected and certainly very different from reputation acquired in 2017. Generally a fair amount of autonomy available even amidst highly-coordinated cross-functional efforts.

Cons

Uber is a large company that hasn't yet figured out some of its processes. There is a surprising amount of hierarchy and a little disorganization (this isn't more, however, than at other companies, regardless of maturity). In the last three months there has continued to be some churn at executive leadership team level and, with new hires, the future is a bit unknown

10. "Uber Expert"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Uber full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Excellent benefits -Brilliant coworkers -Pleasant work environment -Meritocratic management styles

Cons

-Culture promotes cutthroat individualism -You have to be prepared to defend your company when you tell people who you work for. -Constantly have to explain that you don't drive.

Found 34 reviews