Uber Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Dara Khosrowshahi

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Changing the world. * Co-workers are super smart -- and super friendly/helpful/supportive. * Interesting work. * Good work/life balance. * Perks (like free lunch) * Constant learning * Extremely competitive compensation * "Unlimited" PTO * Nice offices. * Potential upside of equity

Cons

* Much less time actual coding than at some jobs. * Due to consequences of bugs getting out into the wild, very slow development process. * Potential downside of equity

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Uber2019-04-14

"Best Company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid people, lean company, very little internal politics and beurocracy, Open source friendly, good compensation, great management, everyone optimistic about the future of the company

Cons

workload might be more than other older tech companies

Uber2019-02-26

"High impact product work with strong, healthy culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

High impact, work at global scale in fast-moving environment. Overall very talented colleagues with inclusive, collegial culture – way more than expected and certainly very different from reputation acquired in 2017. Generally a fair amount of autonomy available even amidst highly-coordinated cross-functional efforts.

Cons

Uber is a large company that hasn't yet figured out some of its processes. There is a surprising amount of hierarchy and a little disorganization (this isn't more, however, than at other companies, regardless of maturity). In the last three months there has continued to be some churn at executive leadership team level and, with new hires, the future is a bit unknown

Uber2018-09-18
  4. "Uber Expert"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Uber full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Excellent benefits -Brilliant coworkers -Pleasant work environment -Meritocratic management styles

Cons

-Culture promotes cutthroat individualism -You have to be prepared to defend your company when you tell people who you work for. -Constantly have to explain that you don't drive.

Uber2018-09-24

"Don't Be An Expert, Seriously"

Former Employee - Expert in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are amazing people, the partners are what makes this job, the benefits are seriously the best I have ever seen.

Cons

Unprofessionalism, lack of experience, HR department is in various locations and not on site, budget issues, a bunch of things you'll come across you should not have come across in a entry level position.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people based on their education level and start evaluating their professionalism and if they have basic customer service skills, this job has so much added stress do to management not being able to perform at a very basic level of approval it is so sad, upper management (executives) need to start caring about these Uber Hubs because as of now they do absolutely nothing and it seems as if they did not know that and Uber Hub was a thing, it's a great idea but there is no oil in the engine.

Uber2018-07-10

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Strong team * Innovative environment * Challenging tasks * Great culture

Cons

* Not public yet * No onsite chefs :)

Uber2017-12-08

"Learning a lot everyday as an Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work environment is great - Engineers are really passionate about what they build

Cons

- Struggling to hire so teams slightly understaffed due to external reputation but that is starting to change

Uber2017-10-17

"Uber is a great place for builders to build!"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Ownership: I have more than 13years of experience in the tech industry and I have never been in a company which that much ownership. I can really feel that I'm the owner of the product I work on and I have lot of freedom to influence the roadmap. - Real impact on customer's life (and more broadly on society) : The impact on customers and cities are real. I can feel it on a day to day basis. - World wide company: All the feature we work on are though through an international perspective. - Super great opportunity to relocate within Uber to another city or country.

Cons

- All the infrastructure layer are done internally. We don't use any of the cloud public offering like AWS or Azure. Not sure how this will scale in the future. - Lack some structure and process around scrum management and more generally around engineering and management.

Uber2017-09-07

"Uber Expert"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's been a pretty flexible company that offers great benefits. I was able to have surgery and was out of work for two months. They provided paid leave and got me back into the grove at a reasonable pace. Coworkers are great!

Cons

No room for growth. I've been at the same spot for a year and have tried to get involved in as many projects as possible, but they can't provide raises due to the fact that the pay is set as a standard. You could be pulling 40+ hour work weeks and still be getting paid the same as the person who is slacking off and works 20 hours. There will be people that make you feel belittled as an Expert and point blame on you for something out of your control. You do get treated like the "help" from the higher corporate levels. The turnaround for this job is REALLY high.

Uber2017-09-25
  10. "Unicorn - in more ways than one"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Empowerment at lower levels, move fast, incredibly smart coworkers and massive personal and market growth opportunities. International exposure is valuable as well.

Cons

Org changes are frequent and with limited transparency. The leadership Merry go round can be exhausting. The negative PR cycles can be distracting.

Advice to Management

We need more seasoned leadership at the top.

Uber2017-09-14