Ubiquity Retirement + Savings Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Chad W. Parks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mission-Driven Company"

I have been working at Ubiquity Retirement + Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility in schedule and working from home
    - great perks: health, 401k, great PTO structure, wellness reimbursement, and U-Day's-- it's literally billed as a bad hair day, as well as a month's sabbatical once you hit your 5-year mark )
    - mission-oriented team (our goal is to get every small business a retirement plan, and we make good on that promise by offering web-based, transparent solutions)
    - TONS of room for growth (your career is what you make of it here)
    - we're about to launch a brand new platform/technology that's going to catapult us into the future (and be a HUGE benefit for our Savers)

Cons

- the work from home structure sometimes makes the office feel a bit sparsely populated, but the other side of that coin is that our company is super flexible in allowing you to work from home.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do (and maybe provide some incentives to get people working in the office more, for those that are based in SF, at least)

2. "Ubiquity (formerly The Online 401k"

I have been working at Ubiquity Retirement + Savings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a desire to deliver a mission, empower small businesses, and lead an industry.

Cons

A number of aggressive moves have led to quirks that make it very difficult to deliver on promises.

3. "Ubiquity Retirement + Savings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I worked at Ubiquity Retirement + Savings (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, flexible work schedule, good values, weekly events that bring everyone together.

Cons

Sometimes it felt like the environment was too relaxed.

"Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you work for a big company, you have a Retirement Plan, and therefore a convenient way to save for Retirement. If you work for a small company, you probably don't have a Retirement Plan, so you don't save for your Retirement. That's about 40 Million People who aren't saving for themselves, and their future.

If that sounds like a problem you'd like to solve, and you're a curious, industrious, self-motivated free thinker who can simultaneously cooperate as part of a team, then we would love to have you.

Cons

The same of any small & growing company: prioritizing scarce resources and organizing ourselves to meet those priorities - all while listening to what customers are telling us about their needs and our ability to meet them. It's not an environment for people who want to avoid talking with people and dealing with problems.

Advice to Management

I have none: Good Culture. Good work / life balance. Plenty of visibility for employees into strategy and financial circumstance. High-achievers have plenty of opportunity to find & solve interesting problems to help people better themselves. That covers it.

5. "VP of Brand + Creative"

Current Employee - Vice President of Brand + Creative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Vice President of Brand + Creative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Ubiquity Retirement + Savings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For being what would be considered a more mature company, it's extremely fast-paced and entrepreneurial. We are consistently asked what kind of company we want this to be - and the entire company is part of making that decision collectively. Happiness is the continued focus, understanding that it is core to driving a business forward in the most innovative way. Let people be what they are at their best, and we all thrive.

Cons

Working remotely means not being able to be involved in all of the cool office activities. It's a work in progress. It'll be cool to see what comes of it.

Advice to Management

Stay disruptive and innovative! Our biggest opportunity lies in our ability to communicate and leap over hurdles with a big fat smile on our faces.

6. "Work environment"

Pros

Good company and the culture of the company.

Cons

Not very clear about future plans.

7. "Great Place!"

Pros

Work from home is great!

Cons

Not enough tech online support

"Not as great as management leads you to believe"

Pros

Can work remotely. No dress code. Come and go when you please

Cons

No leadership. For an online company, behind the times in technology. Low pay. Management wants you to believe they are listening, but merely goes through the motion. Obvious favoritism!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the leadership team and replace with people that understands the problems we are going through. Stop being yes people to the man at the top and think for yourselves.

Ubiquity Retirement + Savings Response

Dec 8, 2014 – Director of People + Culture

We have worked very hard (and continue to do so) to create an organization where everyone can make a difference. We have flattened the organizational structure to encourage each individual to take... More

"A dream come true"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They are flexible, encouraging visionaries who genuinely care for those they serve.

Working here is working for retirement activists and consumer advocates.

Leaders who can think and who work hard are rewarded in this organization.

We have a flat organizational structure where people are encouraged to work together towards a common goal and individuals are expected to think critically and take initiative to be recognized.

We have gigantic goals but we've always managed to achieve them.

Our CEO is a superstar and my coworkers are golden.

We have a culture of positivity and gratitude. Random acts of kindness are not uncommon here.

Cons

We have big dreams and so we have to work really REALLY hard to achieve them. For me, work/life balance can get blurry but I like working hard here because its for a good cause.

We have customers with who either are inexperienced with 401(k) or are used to a more boutique experience and this can impact our workflows due to our large volume of activity.

Things get especially lively (i.e. insanely busy) in the fourth quarter and last up until tax time the following year.

You really are expected to grow here and if you aren't growing fast enough it can get uncomfortable. Adapt or perish.

You really have to be comfortable with using technology as a resource here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Let's keep it focused on our customers and creating the best possible experience for them.

Keep up with your efforts to empower your employees, to engage them and encourage them to develop as leaders, innovators and thinkers.

Gamify initiative.

Let's hold annual values workshops and keep our culture alive.

"Amazing company that's focused on employee happiness"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing + Creative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing + Creative in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The Online 401(k) is fearless in it's endeavors. You'll never find another company that deals in retirement dreams in the same manner. They are an industry game changer.

Cons

There is not yet coffee in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep it going!