Uhlig Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark A. Uhlig

1. "Great place, fair and rewarding"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist

I have been working at Uhlig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent pay, fair, honest practices. Hours are stable.

Cons

Strict, somewhat bureaucratic, very procedural. Will not budge on rules.

Advice to Management

More flexibility when it comes to small changes

2. "PT Proofreader"

Former Employee - Part Time Proofreader in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Part Time Proofreader in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Uhlig part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent part-time pay for an extremely easy job. You do get to choose your schedule, but it is from a list of pre-set hours.

Cons

Incredibly structured and corporatized. Literally, no one talks in the proofing department, and if it is a bit of chatter you will get chastised for talking. There is absolutely no freedom in this position. It is an extremely top-down approach, and PT workers are essentially ostracized from the whole entire rest of the department. Very boring office; I literally would have to constantly get up and get some coffee in order to keep myself from falling asleep.
    It almost feels like you're a little kid who is constantly told what not to do and what to do. Everyone looks like they hate their life here. Does not allow ANY flexibility for people if they cannot do the complete 40 hours, even if you're off by 1 hour. This made it difficult for people who did not have traditional schedules, especially while I was working here as a student who had other jobs and changing class schedules every semester. It's way too rigid in how the company was structured. I literally dreaded coming here every day I was scheduled. It was probably one of my least favorite jobs I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Make the environment more fun for people, then maybe you will have people who actually want to stay at this job. I never considered this as a career path because of how bleak my days here were. It was only something I did because I needed the money during school, otherwise I never would have stayed here as long as I did. Treat your employees like they actually matter. It's a horribly depressing work environment here.

"Multiple"

Pros

Staple, growing business. Excellent software developers. CEO is willing to compensate key employees and invest in the business.

Cons

Undocumented procedures and disrespectful micromanagement. High turnover among staff. Very negative work culture.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Train your employees. Set clear expectations. Be approachable.

"Very strict, but good company"

Pros

- People are very nice
    - Great opportunity to learn

Cons

- no flexibility at work, strict timings.

"If you have a soul and want to keep it, don't work here."

Former Employee - Editor in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Editor in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Uhlig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you every two weeks, and you know that check will cash.

Cons

The work is so boring you'll find it hard not to sit in your cubicle and cry. My job title was "editor," but it was basically data entry. The hours are extremely strict and inflexible -- everyone is required to take their lunch break at the same time, and if you need 30 minutes more to, say, go to the dentist, you are required to use at least two hours of your PTO to compensate for that missed time. Every week begins with a long, tedious, useless meeting, and all computer activity is carefully monitored to the point where it feels as though someone is constantly looking over your shoulder. Also, everything is gray -- walls, cubicles, desks -- and they will not let you open the blinds on the windows. There is no opportunity for advancement or raises, so you're only guaranteed the horrible status quo for as long as you're able to stand it. I worked here for a little more than a year, and I dreaded it every day.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with a little more respect and dignity. Loosen up on some of your strict corporate policies. Allow people to have actual personalities and self-expression in the workplace. They do, after all, have to spend the majority of their waking hours there.

"Meh."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Uhlig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked my job, my immediate bosses and nearly all of my co-workers. I got a decent raise each year. I liked working 8:30 to 5:30. Benefits not bad. Lots of windows.

Cons

It's the Land of Gray: walls, furniture, cubicles, carpet, expectations, fun index. You are an erasable number. And the employees have to clean all of the break room twice a day.

Advice to Management

No advice would matter.

"Implementation"

Current Employee - Implementation in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Implementation in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Uhlig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 9-5 work schedule, valuable middle and upper management, growing and improving divisions and products, room for advancement, good people in every division.

Cons

Little to no marketing, micro-management, difficult to expand further due to constant upper management disapproval.

Advice to Management

Loosen up a bit and let the development teams expand.

"The absolute worst."

Former Employee - Client Services in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Client Services in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Uhlig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The experience I received was helpful in finding a better opportunity.

Cons

Condescending management constantly looking over your shoulder as though you are not to be trusted or competent enough to do the job they hired you to do. When someone does leave (which is often) or a coworker manages to find a way to slack off, their work load is then put on the other employees who are not recognized for their hard work or willingness to be a team player. You will always hear about your mistakes but do not expect to be recognized for any positives or good you may have done.

Advice to Management

We're all adults, treating your employees as such would go a long way.

"WORST. COMPANY. EVER."

I worked at Uhlig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nada - well I guess I met a few good people (who have all left)

Cons

Pretty much everything. I asked in my hiring interview if they had high turnover and was lied to (YES....YES they do). Everything is grey it's nauseating. I brought in my colored initial mousepad (to try and spruce up my cubicle) only to come in the next morning with it replaced with a boring Uhlig one. Also, everything has a long process from asking for time off, breaks/lunch and even when the ice cream truck comes (which I guess to them was SUCH A TREAT). When I worked there it was the worst snowstorm starting outside and they were making employees take their own vacation hours (which was mere) if they wanted to leave the office early to be able to get home at a decent hour. I was seriously looking for a job the 8 out of 9 months I was there. Don't even get me started on the amount of "security"....it's like they were holding medical records or something. Completely exaggerated and ridiculous. Stay far far away before it becomes your worst job ever like it has me and so many others!

Advice to Management

Lighten up. You aren't a medical doctor saving lives. It'd a darn newsletter. Stop treating the employees like they're in kindergarten and stop trying to have a "procedure" for EVERYTHING. (using the restroom would be a start)

"Basically a dull dictatorship"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Uhlig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none really to speak of

Cons

the requirements are extremely strict and sales managers have no power to change any of the incompetent structures.

Advice to Management

loosen up.