Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frederick Christian Ulbrich III

"Great Family owned business"

Former Employee - IT Coordinator in Alsip, IL
    Former Employee - IT Coordinator in Alsip, IL

I worked at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Understanding and cares about workers health and family

Cons

Too many want to be bosses.

"Best company I ever worked for..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Profitable, long standing business with thoughtful management and a very successful employee relations approach. I've worked for several companies through the years and Ulbrich is by far the best. Generous, proud company - nice working environment, lots of potential for growth and great people all around. Highly recommended place to grow and develop. Team atmosphere.

Cons

No significant negatives at Ulbrich - that's the happy truth!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Excellent company to work for!"

Current Employee - Accounting in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Accounting in North Haven, CT

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is just the right size to get involved in many facets of business. You are never bored and always able to contribute to the companies success. The family is great to work for , they care about their people and make sure employees are being treated proper. Christmas/Holiday party , children Christmas party, picnics, award dinners , turkeys at Thanksgiving.. Top Managment is on top of their game, all are hard working and dedicated to success. Employees at all levels are trying to make Ulbrich the best it can be. The guys on the shop floor and Manufacuting Managment (in CT is my experience) are outstanding and proud of their work. Great people to be around. We are family.

Cons

Who's perfect? We can do a better job of ensuring that what we do in CT so well is done at all facilities. Illinois is outstanding from my experience. People at are outstanding at all locations

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

5. "Corporate is great, very bad management at this location"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, SC

Pros

Good company, great benefits, family owned, good hours

Cons

Poor management and corporate does not listen about the bad management. They take the managers side and do not try to find out the truth.

Advice to Management

Bad management make bad employees. Poll the employees, you will find out who your bad managers are. Business would improve ten fold if management was improved.

6. "Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively friendly coworkers, steady job security, and extremely easy hours. No need to feel stressed about getting everything done in one day. Very little sense of urgency when it comes to making big business decisions. Family company but also comes with the glaring negatives of such..

Cons

Management was completely out of touch with the shop & the inside staff. Constant yet subtle resentment between middle management and lower level staff. Compensation was just plain sad, no hope of getting promoted unless you're family. With the money upper management spends on dinners and outings you would think long term employees would be treated with more than bagels every other month. A revolving door which must be a nightmare for HR. One of the few companies who've lost more employees than they've gained over the last couple years due to low pay and low morale.

Advice to Management

Trash the "old boy network". We all know you're running a 90 year old company but it's not going to thrive unless you get with the times and hire some non-family executives. Compensate your employees; no one is impressed with <50k/year. Try to motivate your employees to do their best, offer much more competitive compensation for achievements and you'll notice a boost in morale. It's not rocket science.

7. "I expect to be here for a long time."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in North Haven, CT

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, never boring, something new everyday, stable environment, good mix of white and blue collar workforce

Cons

Would like more vacation...but who wouldn't

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work....Best job I've ever had.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT

Pros

The Ulbrich family treats you as one of their own. They are very generous and want you to excel within the organization

Cons

Work force is ageing. Need younger, energetic prospects to excel business in the future.

9. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in North Haven, CT

Pros

I am fortunate to work for two great bosses. Both different, so they balance each other out nicely. I am able to do a variety of different tasks and it never gets boring. Ulbrich is very family oriented. So, when it comes to your children, they always work around whatever comes up. I never feel like I can't attend something for my kids. They always make me feel like that comes first and we figure it out!

Cons

Very quiet in the Corporate office building. Sometimes it is hard to focus when it is too quiet.

10. "Engineering and production in Westminister"

Current Employee - Technical Engineering in Westminster, SC
    Current Employee - Technical Engineering in Westminster, SC

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good operators and Supervisors

Cons

Very poor management (director or operations) put safety behind production said " he was not stopping production for safety issues" luckily he is gone but so are some other very good people. Too many favorites and the ole boy system. Always walking on egg shells.

Advice to Management

Top management needs to pay attention to what is going on on the floor.

Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals Response

Nov 17, 2014 – Human Resources Coordinator

We are always working to get better.

11. "Like family"

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Westminster, SC
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Westminster, SC

I worked at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Westminster, SC facility for a short time. Everyone there was incredibly welcoming. The training I received was adequate for me to excel quickly in my position. Furthermore, I felt the compensation I was given was fair. People there spoke about the Ulbrich family as if they felt they really cared about the company and their employees.

Cons

There was some shifting in organizational roles while I was there. It was my understanding that the supervisor previously over my department was a terror. I may have just been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals Response

Nov 17, 2014 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your kind words.