Uline Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Uline CEO Dick Uihlein
Dick Uihlein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Bonus program is great, pay and benefits for a call center type job is unheard of (in 25 reviews)

• great pay for the a recent college graduate (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot of negative feedback about the dress code & other Uline culture issues (in 54 reviews)

• Micro management and strange culture/ slow process (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong, Growing, Focused on our Future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Uline Hudson branch is a strong team! Great working relationships between each department. Great friendships in & out of work. This branch is the perfect spring board for a person looking for adventure. Uline will internally transfer employees in good standing to any one of our US locations. As well, we prefer to promote from within whenever possible. Customer Service, the Warehouse, and Sales departments offer strong Uline training for long term success; whether staying in that division or looking for other experiences in other areas of the company.

The fact Uline offers a generous benefits package inclusive of 401K matching dollar for dollar up to 5%, medical, dental & vision coverage, life Ins, paid PTO, annual bonuses for ALL employees, annual wage increases, tuition reimbursement up to $5000 annually for all employees, and numerous employee appreciation events, annually is very appealing. This is not seen in many organizations!

Cons

Uline has a strong internal culture that does not appeal to everyone. We have high standards, expect honest hard work from all employees, and operate a no-nonsense environment. Persons who struggle with open communication, and transparent discussion when opportunity for improvement arises, will not do well.

Being in a branch often frustrates those wanting advancement opportunities only housed in our corporate offices ( Pleasant Prairie. WI), and not being able / willing to transfer. It is hard seeing great staff leave for local opportunities not available in this branch.

Uline Response

Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for your review, and your time with us. This past year we filled 50% of non-entry level positions with internal candidates. We value all of our employees and the work they do for us, which... More

"Account Representative"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent training, mentorship, and management.
    - Accommodating to individual needs.
    - Car, phone and home internet allowances.
    - Relocation package.
    - Recognized brand with large market.
    - Passionate employees.
    - Profit sharing (approx. $4k)
    - Constant year-over-year growth.
    - Career development opportunities.
    - Potential to work from home.
    - Structured expectations with purpose.
    - Diverse customer portfolio.

Cons

- Minimal selling situations; taking orders.
    - Customer service on wheels.
    - Non-commission; marginal incentives.
    - Scheduling: most customers dont need visits or want them.
    - IL HQ in Kenosha, WI.
    - Antiquated policies (e.g. business professional, catalogs).
    - Expendable: queued employees to keep bodies on the road.
    - Slow adopters of new technology.
    - What happens when Liz retires?

Advice to Management

1) Amazon has yet to fully penetrate the industrial business supply/equipment market. If more competitive pricing is paired with Prime's next day delivery, then Uline will sincerely struggle.

2) Leverage data from Uline.com to anticipate business needs and ordering trends.

3) Stop sending so many catalogs! It erodes margin across the board - customers pay more and employees get paid less.

3) Develop clear commission structure.

4) Invest in other direct marketing channels.

5) Develop internal graduate school program (MBA) from accredited universities to better develop and retain talent.

6) Saleforce.com. It's a CRM that works exceptionally well. Why play catch-up when there's capital to be an immediate contender?

3. "Warehouse Associate"

I worked at Uline full-time

Pros

Great company, competitive benefits and bonuses

Cons

Work is not easy, attention to detail is important

"Lots of stability & advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Pr, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Pr, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You are encouraged to go back to school, they are very supportive. It's not just tuition reimbursement. The managers seem genuinely interested in how the classes are going. The growth is unbelievable. Uline promotes from within a lot so there is a lot of upward mobility.

Cons

At the branch level, it is more difficult to advance. There are a limited number of management & analyst positions (which is true for all companies). At a certain point, you have to move to corporate to advance. There is a lot of negative feedback about the dress code & other Uline culture issues. To be honest, it's true. If you are more concerned with the dress code than you are about having a steady job with great benefits and room for advancement, Uline is not the company for you.

5. "Can't find pay like that anywhere"

I worked at Uline full-time

Pros

the money was a nice incentive

Cons

The hours were not great

6. "Over time is available to hourly employees"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people actually care about getting their work done and are paid accordingly

Cons

Can't say I have any when you compare the same jobs to other companies

7. "Customer Service"

I worked at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and bonuses

Cons

Where do I begin!? Ridiculous expectations, horrible management, insane and delusional CEO.

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize the people working for you are human beings with feelings, and lives outside of your stupid company. No one is perfect and your expectations are absurd and your management sucks..hence why you are ALWAYS hiring and have horrible turnover!!!!

"Great Growing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is constantly growing and outpacing the competition. This growth is paid back to the employees with great salaries, bonuses, and benefits. It's a fast paced environment which I like, I clock in, get to work and before I know it, it's time to go home.
    The buildings are as clean as you'll see anywhere, this includes several 1 million square foot warehouses. They have a great cafeteria, gym, salon, and more.

Cons

Some micromanagement with certain teams.

Advice to Management

Consider occasional work from home days, other than that, keep up what you're doing!

9. "Marketing"

I worked at Uline full-time

Pros

Exceptionally clean and well maintained facilities

Cons

Lack of autonomy at all levels if not a family member

Advice to Management

Delegate more responsibility to people outside the 'family'

"I have a career, not just a job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best coworkers/managers ever, appreciates employees, great work environment, opportunity to move up, competitive pay

Cons

I have no cons! Honestly just an awesome job.

Advice to Management

I absolutely love working here. This is by far the best job I have ever had, and I have had some bad ones. From day one, I have felt welcomed and just knew that this was the place for me. I have been here for a little over a year and my only regret was that I didn't come to work here sooner.

The training is hands down the best, and the trainers go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and ready to go. Once training is done, your team leads and other management staff take over. They are all approachable and ready to help with any question you may have.

I have never had a job where I actually don't mind going to work and love to work over time. I feel like I work with the best of friends and never leave here with the "I hate my job" attitude.

Overall I have found the company that I am going to retire from in 20 years. I will never work any where else.