Uline 269 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Uline CEO Dick Uihlein
Dick Uihlein

Pros
  • Bonus program is great, pay and benefits for a call center type job is unheard of (in 22 reviews)

• Great pay and the work environment if very social (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately the same question applies to my dress code statement (in 42 reviews)

• Micro management and strange culture/ slow process (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly a great place to work"

Pros

awesome perks, affordable benefits, room for growth, constant feedback... a company that values its employees!

Cons

some many say the dress code is a bit strict.... if wearing nylons for half of the year is what keeps you from wanting to work at a fast growing & successful company, I would say that you are missing out on a great opportunity. no complaints here!

2. "The People Make the Difference"

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Uline's hiring process is very selective, ensuring only the best and brightest join our team. Co-workers are, by far, the most enjoyable part of coming to work everyday. With everyone's passion for what they do, each department contributes to Uline's continuous improvement and overall success. We know what has to be done everyday - and we accomplish it.

Cons

There isn't the option to work from home, even for positions that would be able to be successful remotely; however, it is very nice to be able to leave the office at the end of the day and not have to worry about anything until the next time I'm here. Without the expectation to work at home, it helps with work life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your most valuable asset - your employees! Uline has a great team that's passionate about developing their skills and careers (to Uline's benefit).

3. "warehouse administrator assistant"

Pros

good payment good bonus good environment

Cons

too fast paced always overtime

5. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - General Warehouse in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - General Warehouse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great pay
    3 weeks vacation time
    Profit sharing bonus
    Performance bonus
    Management is amazing, they are friendly, understanding, and work with you as much as they can; Always willing to help.
    Safest place to work in the country!
    Clean work environment
    Plenty of overtime if you want it
    Frequent employee lunches and rewards

Cons

Hard to get hired on due to the quality of employees they are looking for.
    Very high expectations
    Small raises
    Strict dress code
    Lots of pressure to perform well

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. If what you are doing is wrong then you wouldn't have such dedicated employees that stay with the company.

6. "Uline Experience"

I worked at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very organized. Provides employees with necessary resources to succeed at every level.

Cons

Sales Reps are required to constantly do a few very elementary, time-consuming, weekly tasks.

"A good start"

I worked at Uline full-time

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Bonus, Professional, Location

Cons

Favoritism, Limited growth opportunities, Lots of gossip

Advice to Management

Hire good managers so that they are fair when it is time to promote good employees. A lot of favoritism in the culture.

Uline Response

Feb 3, 2017

At Uline, we offer our employees extensive benefits and understand how important and vital good management is to a company, which is why we invest in our employees through continuing training ... More

"A great means to an end"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Allentown, PA

I worked at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is very good for entry level positions. With just a high school education, you get paid from $16.50 to around $19. In the warehouse that is. The uniforms are free, benefits are great. Everyone is on a first name basis. Profit sharing bonus is amazing. Plenty of overtime.

Cons

The hours are hard. I swear I feel like I'm at work more than I'm at home. 10:30am to 7pm or later.
    The training that they give you to start packing is really in depth. It's a lot to take in. There's lots of little rules for everything, and it's time consuming. Basically you need to cheat to do well. If you follow what you were trained, you won't hit your numbers. Cheat, hope you don't get caught. Play stupid if you do. As long as it's not damaged or a wrong item error it'll be fine.
    If you struggle with anything they don't care. You are just being lazy. Any of your reasons to why you're struggling is just an excuse. Just go faster and stop being lazy.
    To much things count against you in your review. They literally have someone checking the packages coming down the line to see if anything isn't the "uline way" and will audit you.
    They need to stop with the focus on safety audits. They walk around with their clipboard looking for a victim. It's exactly like driving around town with a cop periodically following you. You get nervous, even if you didn't do anything wrong. And packing will never be safe. It's like crossfit, but for 8 to 10 hours. And only doing the same 2 exercises. You're gonna get hurt from overused muscles. Hopefully you're one of the lucky ones where it's not to bad.

Advice to Management

I know that uline is a production based company, but we aren't robots. We're not lazy, it's just hard. Acknowledge that. And don't keep getting rid of people, it ruins the motivation for the rest. Happier, appreciated employees make more productive employees

"You will pay for the pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Uline full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. generous end of year bonus.

Cons

very little room for advancement. very conservative, almost cultish work environment. performing your job well wont be enough. you have to "believe" in the company or they WILL get rid of you. work culture is very aggressive and unfriendly. people regulary pass each other in the halls without speaking.

"Parent-child paradigm ruins the culture"

Pros

Customer service, the benefits and the beauty. These are the high points that have resulted in a 3 rating rather than something lower. But don't be blinded by the money and the beauty--there is a lot that's rotten in the state of Uline.

Cons

It takes a lot to elicit negative feedback from me. Here goes--the president (Liz) is off-the-charts controlling, capricious, stuck-in-the-80s. Never has a president's influence been more apparent for both good and ill. Her paradigm is parent-child, not colleague-colleague, and you will feel it in every encounter. She gets reports on ALL of her employees' actions, even the mundane, like when you use the on-campus salon. She refuses to accept things she doesn't understand, so the creep toward technical modernization is about one step for every 20 years. It is seriously stifling. Management is gossipy and can be vindictive. And if you like to be innovative and try to improve processes, this is absolutely not the place for you.

Advice to Management

To the board of directors: Move the president into retirement and LET THE COMPANY BECOME AN ADULT. All good things will follow from that.

11. "Customer Service"

I have been working at Uline full-time

Pros

Fast growing company with unlimited potential and opportunities. Will work with you as long you demonstrate your willingness to improve.

Cons

Very structured and demanding. But they dont ask or expect anything that you shouldn't already want for yourself. If you work hard aim to work harder.

Advice to Management

Stats are important but they dont always highlight an individuals skills or experience. Keep doing what you do. It wouldn't be called WORK if we didnt have something to complain about but at the end of the day Uline really is an awesome place.

Uline Response

Feb 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. Exceptional customer service is something we pride ourselves in at Uline. Every customer is answered by a live representative, not a machine. At ... More