Uline Reviews | Glassdoor

Uline Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Bonus program is great, pay and benefits for a call center type job is unheard of (in 23 reviews)

• great pay for the a recent college graduate (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • some many say the dress code is a bit strict (in 44 reviews)

• Micro management and strange culture/ slow process (in 27 reviews)

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - General Warehouse in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - General Warehouse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great pay
    3 weeks vacation time
    Profit sharing bonus
    Performance bonus
    Management is amazing, they are friendly, understanding, and work with you as much as they can; Always willing to help.
    Safest place to work in the country!
    Clean work environment
    Plenty of overtime if you want it
    Frequent employee lunches and rewards

Cons

Hard to get hired on due to the quality of employees they are looking for.
    Very high expectations
    Small raises
    Strict dress code
    Lots of pressure to perform well

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. If what you are doing is wrong then you wouldn't have such dedicated employees that stay with the company.

Mar 1, 2017 – Human Resources

At Uline we value the work and effort our employees put in everyday to keep Uline successful. We are proud to offer very competitive pay and an extensive list of benefits, like the few you listed ... More

"A great means to an end"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Allentown, PA

I worked at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is very good for entry level positions. With just a high school education, you get paid from $16.50 to around $19. In the warehouse that is. The uniforms are free, benefits are great. Everyone is on a first name basis. Profit sharing bonus is amazing. Plenty of overtime.

Cons

The hours are hard. I swear I feel like I'm at work more than I'm at home. 10:30am to 7pm or later.
    The training that they give you to start packing is really in depth. It's a lot to take in. There's lots of little rules for everything, and it's time consuming. Basically you need to cheat to do well. If you follow what you were trained, you won't hit your numbers. Cheat, hope you don't get caught. Play stupid if you do. As long as it's not damaged or a wrong item error it'll be fine.
    If you struggle with anything they don't care. You are just being lazy. Any of your reasons to why you're struggling is just an excuse. Just go faster and stop being lazy.
    To much things count against you in your review. They literally have someone checking the packages coming down the line to see if anything isn't the "uline way" and will audit you.
    They need to stop with the focus on safety audits. They walk around with their clipboard looking for a victim. It's exactly like driving around town with a cop periodically following you. You get nervous, even if you didn't do anything wrong. And packing will never be safe. It's like crossfit, but for 8 to 10 hours. And only doing the same 2 exercises. You're gonna get hurt from overused muscles. Hopefully you're one of the lucky ones where it's not to bad.

Advice to Management

I know that uline is a production based company, but we aren't robots. We're not lazy, it's just hard. Acknowledge that. And don't keep getting rid of people, it ruins the motivation for the rest. Happier, appreciated employees make more productive employees

"You will pay for the pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Uline full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. generous end of year bonus.

Cons

very little room for advancement. very conservative, almost cultish work environment. performing your job well wont be enough. you have to "believe" in the company or they WILL get rid of you. work culture is very aggressive and unfriendly. people regulary pass each other in the halls without speaking.

"Sell your soul to them and you will do well."

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company will take care of you, but you must be ready to devote your entire life to the company.

Cons

The corporate structure reminds me of of a cult. Everything revolves around Liz Uline who take compete control of the company in every way. From purchasing to the reviewing that each office picture is hung to a certain height to meet her eye level. Employees are so stressed about losing their "perfect" jobs, they barely speak. And heaven help you if you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

I notice they do quite a bit of "Temp to Hire", and can let a person go at any time for any reason they seem fit. My advice is to not have this temp employee invest so much time testing and especially do not require them to make a huge wardrobe purchase to accommodate their extremely strict dress code policy, unless they are permanently hired on. Also, Uline needs to completely readdress their training procedures. Rather than have a new hire meet people for lunch for two weeks - train them on the actual work they will be preforming. They may find these new hires will do much better with understanding their jobs. And not have such a revolving door of people.

"Great Company!"

Former Employee - Graphic Design in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Graphic Design in Pleasant Prairie, WI

Pros

Great pay and the work environment if very social.

Cons

It is a tad strict but it keeps you focused on the job at hand.

Feb 3, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We offer competitive pay and extensive benefits at Uline because we feel it's very important to reinvest our profits into our 5,000+ employees

"General warehouse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Pros

Bonus
    Coworkers
    Stable company that continues to grow

Cons

Hours take over life
    Management is untrained and petty

Advice to Management

Do something beside reactively watch for safety violations. At least be proactively watching.

"Overall fun environment"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, people inform you on your mistakes o you can correct them, teamwork makes your job easier

Cons

You have to be patient things come to you gradually here and not all at once, take your time errors kill

Advice to Management

Keep it up its best when your involved in our park because we learn from you

"Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uline values their employees and has many opportunities for advancement as well as development such as excellent tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Some departments our separated geographically but that will be changing next year with the construction of a new corporate building.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in our employees development.

Mar 2, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your response. At Uline, we pride ourselves in our growth, not only in our physical presence, but also in the development of our employees. Our Finance Department has an outstanding ... More

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ontario, CA

I worked at Uline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good Benefits
    Take care of their employees
    Clean environment

Cons

Micromanagement to the extreme
    If you're accidentally a minute late you get penalized
    Strict culture

Advice to Management

Ease up on the micromanagement

"Awful"

Current Employee - General Warehouse in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - General Warehouse in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay to start, paid time off, profit sharing bonus yearly, benefits are well, and holiday pay is a bonus

Cons

You essentially are competing against other employees for productivity and you will definitely get a lot of backstabbing selfish people only concerned about their own productivity and skipping over work to hit their quota and leaving you the hard work that they deliberately skipped, versus helping a teammate out to get the job done. When you notice management they basically could care less honestly and it is absolutely sickening. At the end of the day literally everyone gets the same review either way from what I have had other people tell me which is a 3% increase no matter how much you sacrifice and work more than the other person or believe you are doing more than average, you are not, according to 'Uline' standards. I had perfect attendance for the year but was rated a 3 out of 5 for my attendance. How does that work? They do not care about you at this place.

Claim there is "great opportunity," but really they are just moving you to a building further away from your home. You will most likely also work more overtime at this location that is already taking more time out of your day due to the drive, making for long work days at a mundane job at best.

A building manager came up to me during my lunch on a Friday( I usually always stay in and bring my own lunch which is an hour long) and asked if I was ready for the move on Monday. I had no idea what he was talking about but apparently I was being moved to another building that no one notified me about. He was upset and said "this is not the 'Uline' way" stating that he would call me in to his office to further address the issue and make sure I was taken care of. Guess what, I never got called in to his office and had to figure it out on my own, so much for the 'Uline' way.

I have been accused multiple times of taking steroids by a building manager telling me that I should go inject some more steroids into my @**. Ironically the next day I had a "random" drug test.

I asked a building manager when we were training one of our guys on a reach truck because we could really use the help. He smirked and looked at me saying "sometime."

We had a new employee start working for us and he had a gallon of water which was store at a desk fairly desolated, safe out of site. A building manager was walking around doing an audit on our department and instead of addressing to this brand new employee right in front of him that we apparently cannot have those in our building, he took a picture of the gallon and wrote an email to our managers plus those above him about the situation.

We receive errors for product picked incorrectly. There was an employee that had four errors on a single picker page which is usually eight lines total, instead of getting all four errors he only received one. I personally know that he knows people that work or have worked here. Call it ironic or what but if that was me or any other employee I can certainly guarantee I would have received four errors versus one. For example, a new employee put some skids back to stock literally the first day he was officially trained. Apparently there was a miscommunication but honestly it is terrible training. They blame you for everything when in reality it starts up top and trickles down. Anyway, he received 26 errors for not stocking those skids in at all, in my opinion, because of the terrible training they provide. Guess what? He got all 26 errors and those did not get condensed into one error like the other guy. Ironic?

In all honestly if you are doing it for the money, go ahead but still not worth it in my opinion. If you want to feel appreciated and respected, I highly recommend you stay away.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better