KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Uline Employee Reviews about "uline"

Updated Sep 30, 2021

Found 80 of over 1,158 reviews

3.5
Uline CEO Dick Uihlein
Dick Uihlein

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The Pay is good for the work you end up doing of a glorified order taker.(in 178 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and people depending on dept(in 136 reviews)
  • "Pay is great, bonuses and profit sharing are excellent with many other perks.(in 71 reviews)
  • "Great people and coworker environment(in 61 reviews)
  • "Job will expose you to many new industries and provides great training.(in 28 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Uline and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "uline"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Unique Company with a vision but no guidance.

Jul 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong vision. Goal oriented. Clear explanation of responsibilities. Very clean. Very Organized. Profit sharing bonus is great. Personal bonus is okay.

Cons

Very negative environment. Number driven vs People driven. Senior management shows many shades of being bigots. I was told on multiple occasions that Uline hired a certain type and look. Meaning caucasian. I was told that certain opportunities were for people whose skin was not too dark. This particular comment came from someone that was at the corporate level, at a party outside of work. Taking time off is near impossible. Front line leaders have no actual authority and are not supported by management. The atmosphere and attitude of employees is very negative. Management is attempting to correct this but cannot solve the puzzle. The review process is very unfair and does not actually correlate with an individuals results. My review was based on the whole warehouse, since a certain department did not perform well, I was punished in my review and raise. In addition, the review did not reflect anything in my previous years review. None of the 'Goals' that were set for my the previous year's review were discussed. Uline starts you at a solid hourly wage but you get stuck there due to the small raises. Many of the managers are in their position because they have been with the company for a very long time. When the company was smaller, these individuals were great at their jobs because it required them to work long hours, grind it out, and sacrifice family time. However, the growth of the company has surpassed the ability of the current management team. Uline is currently putting a new WMS system into place but their current system is archaic. Employees are punished for making errors but the system itself is not flawless. A customer can call and say they did not receive an item and an employee is immediately given a mark against him or her. Typically, researching the inventory can prove that the employee did his or her job correctly, however, management replies with customer word and leaves the employee with the responsibility. The explanation to the employee is: Sorry, customer word. Both major departments, Freight and UPS, are always understaffed. On one hand, management claims that the departments are staffed correctly. On the other hand, if employees call out or become injured, the departments are immediately understaffed.

29 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Job will hinder your social life and career path

Mar 2, 2020 - Warehouse Associate in Ontario, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Bonuses and that’s about it.

Cons

Toxic management. You are literally just a number to them. Ive seen some of the most hardworking people get chewed up and spit out by uline. If uline even suspects you are looking for another job they will fire you. Uline will always side with the customer. You are never in the right. I wanted out of uline so bad that I joined the military. I lost control of my life. I’m currently deployed overseas and I would rather be here than another day at uline. Thank you uline

24 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work.

Jun 30, 2021 - Inside Sales Representative in Milton, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very well managed company treats their employees well. Uline recognize the unique value in every individual and provides equal opportunity in terms of growth. Uline has very strong value in terms of making a positive contribution to their employees, customers & vendors. Excellent pay, benefits and competitive bonus. Great culture, enthusiastic managers and motivating environment. Provides internal growth internal opportunity. Able to manage workload independently. Overall a great company with all the positives to work with.

Cons

It's hard to reach by bus/transportation so commute is difficult if you do not have a car.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

The first job I ever had, and the worst I’ll ever have.

Nov 22, 2019 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

You and your coworkers will hate your jobs so much that you’ll probably become best friends. There’s a great Thai place nearby.

Cons

I can only speak to my experience in the Internet department when I say that this is the most toxic place I will ever work. I started Uline out of college excited to learn and grateful for the opportunity to work for such a ‘successful’ and efficient company. For my first year I drank the kool-aid- kept my head down, took on extra work. The interesting thing about this department is that it’s like quick sand. The more you try to do to succeed, the more quickly you will sink. This is because promotions and relationships are not based on hard work or real achievements, but on personal feelings and who can yell the most ideas over everyone else in meetings. You get extra points if you can make someone else look stupid in front of management. Management in this department has been made aware of this type of overly-competitive, undermining culture on multiple occasions but nothing happens. Why? Because they are the source of it. The Internet department at Uline is run by incompetent, egotistical maniacs who hates anyone more technical or creative than them. Uline hires people like me because I didn’t know any better. They spam this page with fake reviews and tell you it’s harder to get into than Harvard, and you’ll feel special. Don’t let this be the first place you work because you will become jaded and exhaust yourself trying to succeed somewhere that doesn’t care how hard you work. Oh, and their “3 bonus programs” is worthless because when it times to negotiate for a higher pay, they’ll decline because suddenly your bonuses are considered a part of your base pay. Weird how that works. In case you can’t tell by now.. you should not work here.

39 people found this review helpful

Uline Response

HR

We pride ourselves on hiring great managers and try to facilitate an environment in which hard work and quality results never go unnoticed. We also encourage employees to utilize our open-door policy and discuss their questions and feedback with management. If needed, our Human Resources department is always on hand to guide those conversations.Additionally, we are proud to offer our bonus programs to every employee at Uline because we truly are thankful for the hard work that our team members put in every day. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Industry leading pay/benefits with incredible mentors/coworkers

Jul 4, 2021 - Inside Sales Representative in Milton, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

The People - Every employee and manager I've worked with at Uline is incredibly kind and open to having conversations regardless of their position. During onboarding and training they have a mentorship program that allows you to work and train with a tenured mentor. The mentor genuinely cares about your well being and I still go to them for questions and advice. The Pay - Entry level positions are above industry average pay with competitive benefits and a great annual profit sharing bonus that is provided to all employees. The Position - Due to the wide breadth of customers Uline supplies products to, every day is wildly different. I've never had a boring day as we are empowered to deal with virtually all situations brought to our attention. This allows you to work with the customer to find the right solution and is incredibly fulfilling as you often work with small/new businesses.

Cons

Location - The branch has a large warehouse that our products are shipped from, so it is located in Milton to be able to accommodate the space. This can be difficult for commuters who do not have access to their own car.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Most Unethical and Soulless company imaginable

Jul 17, 2015 - Customer Service Representative in Breinigsville, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Made a handful of life long friends Good holiday bonuses

Cons

Oh where do I begin? I was a customer service representative from 2004 to 2012 in the Pennsylvania branch. Initially, I was excited about having a steady paycheck and finding my way in the working world. Then as time went on, I saw Uline for what it is really worth. I relate to an onion, the more layers you peel off, the more it stinks. Uline is all about pretending. They pretend to care about their employees when in reality every single employee there is expendable and is nothing but a piece of meat to the powers that be. The amount of fake caring there is astounding. Sure, they will give employees occasional catered lunches, pot lucks and dress down days but as I said, it is all a charade. They don't really care about you as a PERSON, you are just there to work and work and make money for the company all while being a robot and doing EVERYTHING the 'Uline' way. If you have a problem, sure you can talk to management about it privately, but don't expect anything to happen, because it won't. I'm talking about little things such as getting a chair that is more ergonomically correct for your body to larger concerns such as asking to work part time to take care of a personal matter. If CSR's are to do a soulless and thankless job for hours on end at an uncomfortable desk then you think they would at least make you comfortable with a new chair, but no they won't do it because you don't have a legit medical reason and god forbid it doesn't go with the ugly green chair decor everyone else has. i asked for a new chair so I didn't end up with a medical issue but they still said no. Now, let me get to the job itself. As I said, it is a soulless and thankless job. You are a robot to them, you have to sit at your desk and take call after call after call for 8 hours a day. If your lucky enough you can break up that day by doing emails or instant chats. You only get 15 minutes of coffee time a day and if you go over that you WILL hear about it from management. Fact is you need more than 15 minutes to compose yourself and regain your sanity each day. Despite what they say you are truly micromanaged to an unfathomable degree. As a CSR you have multiple weekly metrics to make such as call time, error rate, COW rate (customer ordered wrong) etc. You get a weekly report and if any of those metrics were failed, you again will hear about it from management. When they do confront you about it, they speak down to you like you are a 2nd grader. It is insulting and in no way should any employee be treated like that. The absolute worst thing about working there was having to do everything the 'Uline' way. This got me so irate on a nearly daily basis because the management there is unbelievably shortsighted in that they refuse to believe that there is more than one way to perform the functions of your job. Don't ever think about suggesting ways to improve the company or even your own job, you are just wasting your breath. No one there will listen to your ideas because sadly the company keeps doing well and they see no reason to change. The performance of the job was based on 'speed, passion and operational excellence'. I can give you a specific example of how ideas are not listened to. At one point, CSR's entered orders in the AS400 computer system. It mostly used the function keys on the keyboard to operate. I became very good at using this system. Then one day they developed and implemented a Java based order entry system that was graphically intensive and required use of the mouse. When operational, this system caused a majority of CSR's talk time to increase because the program was sluggish. I asked if I could use the old AS400 and was flat out told i could not, and if I did I would be penalized on my metrics. If they truly care about 'speed and operational excellence' then they would let CSR's use the AS400 because they can service customer's faster, but no that logical and simple idea was rejected. Management also makes you turn into a cheerleader while on the phone. Seriously, they want you to sound bubbly and happy to every customer on the phone, even for the most extroverted person that is a near impossibility. The thing I can relate it to is the 'corporate accounts payable' lady from the movie 'Office Space' If you heard her then you know how ridiculous they wanted you to sound while on the phone. Personally If I were calling, I wouldn't care how the person was on the phone, as long as I got what I wanted then as a customer I'm happy. But again no, they want to control every aspect of your job and make your life truly unbearable while working. For many years, I simply hated working there. It turned me into a person that I hated. I looked around at my co-workers and wondered why they weren't seeing just how unethical this company really is, why they couldn't see it like I did. Overall, they treated employees like they were in kindergarten. Once a year, they would have a customer service week which included puzzles and sometimes arts and craft projects etc. Every year it was based on a 'theme'. I hated this week as it belittled me even further. The company has no concept of how to treat their employees like ADULTS. At one point, we had to stick party hats....yes party hats on top of our monitors to signal when we were at the bathroom, and if you had to go, you had to first stand up and look around to see how many hats were on monitors to see if you were allowed to go. Are you all catching my drift yet? Uline is privately owned and therefore does not have any stockholders to answer to. The dress code is business professional, which means guys have to wear ties. That in and of itself is not unheard of, what is unheard of is that women have to wear knee length skirts and panty hoes during the winter months and only around Memorial day can they stop wearing panty hoes. Hey Uline this is 2015 not 1950! This dress code is a directive from Liz the owner. Yes, women can wear pant suits but of course they have to match. I'm trying to drive home that this place is run like a cult and it will destroy you if you stay there long enough. For years, it ripped out my heart and soul and stepped on it. Sadly people will still buy from Uline and therefore the company won't ever learn from their litany of mistakes. Ex and current employees can hope that the company culture will change to reflect 2015 but in all likelihood the culture will never change because Liz's children are next in line to take over and when I was there I saw nothing that indicated the antiquated culture would ever change. People who wil succeed at Uline are people who have no self respect and likewho wil succeed at Uline are people who have no self respect and likewho wil succeed at Uline are people who have no self respect and like being 'yes' people. It is for people who have no problem being told EXACTLY what to do at their job all while getting sucked into the brainwashing cult that is Uline. It is for people who just want to coast through life and never take any chances on doing something they really want to do! Let's face it, who actually has a goal to work in a call center? Lastly, there were a few instances where Liz the owner sent out an email to everyone essentially spreading her conservative views. I remember one email basically saying that although they didn't vote for Obama, we have to stand behind him....etc etc. In no way shape of form should ANYONE'S political views come out, ESPECIALLY those of the owner! I still to this day can not believe her views. If you think I'm kidding, just take a look at any catalog and Liz always has a small section on a page that contains her viewpoints. If you value your sanity and have even an ounce of self respect then you will not like Uline. After, I left I was immensely happy because I regained my sanity and took control back of my life! This review only covers a fraction of my experiences at Uline, but read the other negative reviews and you will see that I am not the only person to have such a negative experience while working at Uline.

61 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Relatively high pay, but not really worth it

Jan 5, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Uline is very detail oriented and really follows through on taking care of the customer. The business model is outstanding, and has kept the company growing even in a down economy. There are year-end bonuses. The educational assistance program is the most generous of any company I have heard of. Warehouse pay is generally higher than other companies.

Cons

The company is privately held and has some obsessive-compulsive issues. Metrics cover everything, but they are not logically developed and can never be changed except by executive decision. The president requires a say in even the most trivial of decisions. Employee input is solicited but immediately disregarded. There is no upward or even lateral mobility, you will generally stay in the job you were hired for regardless of your qualifications. Nearly all positions are filled from the outside. The company is focusing on the future, but this translates to only hiring people in their 20s. Morale is generally low. The company is now proud to state that nearly half the employees have been with the company for over five years. However, it should be noted that back before the economy took a nose-dive, three out of four new hires would quit before they worked there twelve months. Micromanagement is beyond description.

12 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible Candidate Experience

Aug 2, 2021 - Human Resources Business Partner in Allentown, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only good thing I can say about Uline is that their pay is decent. They do pay better than their competitor even if they have bad hiring practices.

Cons

An antiquated recruitment process that has you fill out paper applications, discriminatory assessments that have nothing to do with the job you're applying for, and terrible candidate experience.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Warehouse Management

Apr 12, 2018 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best part about working for Uline was hands down the warehouse environment and friendly peer to peer morale. Very well lit Clean beyond imagination Equipment cleaned regularly Very easy to build relationships with staff above and below. Company pays for your uniform. A win in my opinion some thought differently Being a part of a growing business was a plus. There are always downsides to rapid growth but the branches are starting to mature and keep a steady growth pattern that is good for morale and keeping capital improvement going forward.

Cons

Unfriendly work hours due to industry type and cut times Can get stuck in the same roles/responsibility for 3+ years without any guidance on next steps. Very top down management style Training period for managers can be not value added and unnecessarily lengthy. Due to system constraints your quantity of emails can be very numerous. Process improvement is not a priority

1 person found this review helpful