Ulta Beauty Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.6
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee Discount (25%) (including luxury items and sale/clearance items) (in 201 reviews)

• Social job, 25% discount on products and 50% off salon services (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance not always met (in 117 reviews)

• ve personally seen other ULTA employees move up into management positions based off of their personal relationships with upper management (in 144 reviews)

"Great Company--not so great management"

Former Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing perks, great people to work with and very lively atmosphere. Felt good doing what I was doing.

Cons

Barely any growth and really bad management. I was stuck as a contract employee for more than a year and was denied full time employment on numerous times after several interviews while other coworkers around me (who I trained) were constantly being promoed.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

25% off everything 50% off in salon and brow bar

Cons

They do not care if your sick. I remember working thanks giving I was throwing up and they didn’t send me home they said to suck it up. I felt like I was dying with a 101 fever. Terrible pay. They do not care about their employees.. so people last about a month and then quit. There is no praise. They do not care about your availability they schedule you whenever they want and don’t listen about your other job. And they give you about 2 days a week if that to work. $50 a week isn’t worth working here.

Advice to Management

Better pay, more hours, treat your employees like human beings.

"Worst mistake coming here"

Current Employee - Full Time Home Office Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Full Time Home Office Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Weekly (or nearly weekly) desk drops. Some stuff is good, some is meh.
    - Renovated space, so it’s clean
    - After 6 months, you can work from home one day a week
    - Offices in the city. You can work there one day a week.
    - Additional discounts on certain brands throughout the year

Cons

- Ugly building. It’s a shared building with other companies, and communal hallways are painted yellow.
    - Location. It’s Bolingbrook. Enough said.
    - CYA culture (as a previous post mentioned)
    - Lack of accountability by leadership
    - Weak leadership who are afraid to say no or push back
    - Unqualified leaders who have limited knowledge of the area they were hired for, which leads to a lack of vision, strategic thinking, and mentoring for their team. These leaders are well intentioned, but incompetent (and some are just plain old dumb, too), and they ultimately create more useless work for you.
    - Seems to be a lot of mediocre talent. Have yet to meet anyone who’s exceptionally talented or intelligent. A lot of people come from Sears. Seriously, Sears.
    - Very meeting happy culture. You have meetings about everything!
    - No work life balance. You’ll bust your behind for little pay, reward, and recognition.
    - Very much “do as I say not as I do” mentality with leadership. Oh, the hypocrisy that runs rampant as a result of this.

Advice to Management

Reconsider location to attract top talent or, location aside, start hiring smart, competent people; stop being stingy with benefits like PTO and insurance.

"Keep temps lead on"

Current Employee - Contractor in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Contractor in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't have to drive downtown.

Cons

I guess they keep all temps on way over 90 days and don't let you know if they are hirig you or not. Don't give benefits during this time.

Advice to Management

Consistency= efficiency. The lack of consistency at this place is annoying. Convert to paperless files, I need to pray for forgiveness with how many dead trees I have filed in the 120 days I have been here.
    Either hire your temps after 90 days or fire them. Keeping us on with 'no guarantees' is awful, this is people lives, livelihood.

"Beauty Advisor"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers were great! Got lucky there
    -The store discount

Cons

-Management was kind of a mess. They gave you the hardest time whenever you needed time off of work. They didn't treat everyone fair. The schedule would be posted a day before the new week starts (organization was all over the place) and honestly we were not paid enough hourly. Sephora gets at least $10 an hour, we start with $8.25

Advice to Management

Treat your employers with more value.

6. "NEVER WORK AT ULTA!"

Former Employee - Counter Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Counter Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro would be making customers feel good about them self. When you see a customer truly enjoy the experience you have them is what makes this job bearable.

Cons

Naperville on Aurora Avenue is the worst store to work at. Ulta in general is a horrible company. Management doesn’t care about your career path and they talk badly about all their employees and don’t appreciate anything you do for them. I would never recommend anyone to work at this specific location. You will get nowhere with this company even if you work extremely hard and have been there awhile. The worst working experience in my life. Do not make the mistake of applying to this horrible company. You will regret it 100%.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to recognize their employees for their hard work. They need to learn about each counters business more and appreciate them for what they do since their work is what generates the revenue in the store. They shouldn’t be hiding in their office all day and should to be out on the floor with the rest of the team. Management needs ALOT of work at this location. Or their turnover rate is just going to keep getting higher than it already is since I left.

7. "Ok Job if you aren't looking for a lot of hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Forest, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

The 25% employee discount was nice

Cons

Scheduled hours where heavily based on our ability to sign up customers for ultimate rewards accounts. Unfortunately, most customers had accounts already. Customers without accounts were often one time shoppers, making it difficult to persuade them.

Hours are cut extremely frequently.

Not much opportunity for advancement.

"Great Part-time Job While Going to School"

Former Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the beauty industry is great. Makeup and Skincare are constantly evolving and Ulta Beauty is doing the best job at evolving with it. Being there for the beginnings of all new product launches, learning about them, and then teaching and selling to guests is such an exciting process to be apart of. The best part is definitely watching people light up after you've helped them find make-up that suits them and makes them feel beautiful.

Cons

The work culture can vary by store. They have guidelines for management to help build a team atmosphere, which works if the right people are managers, if not, it can be a very stressful work environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Empathy and communication skills can go along way. A lot of beauty advisors and prestige want to be challenged and given room to grow. Leave the clique like mentality in your high school past and own your position as a leader, treat everyone as equal, and be encouraging and fair, and you will have better results across the board.

9. "Prestige Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get to help people feel better about their skin and their beauty.

Cons

The pay is terrible and the hours are as well. They have a scheduling system where you can be cut from your shift at anytime. So your hours are never guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the employee's that you have had for years. Don't make them feel like all their hard work means nothing because you can just hiring someone new.

"Lead IT Analyst"

Current Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic and fast pace atmosphere

Cons

Long hours, Demanding bosses. who have no clue of retail.

Advice to Management

Listen to workers

Showing 178 of 3,305 reviews