Ulta Beauty Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

2,592 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance not always met (in 97 reviews)

• Communication is lacking from upper management even though you are required to always know what is going on incase you get a pop visit from your DM (in 121 reviews)

1. "Great benefits make up for low wages"

Current Employee - Skin Care Therapist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Skin Care Therapist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including healthcare, 401k, and paid vacation are just to name a few.

Cons

If you work as an esthetician and don't have a customer database already, it will take MONTHS before you see any kind of a paycheck. Make sure you have a dual income household or don't have many monthly bills if you want to work here.

Advice to Management

Support your esti's more and offer higher wages to retain them and not have multiple employee turnovers.

2. "Ulta Review"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Great discount and good environment

Cons

Stylists expected to work on the sales floor during down time. Too much daily paperwork

3. "Good for a Part Time Job as Beauty Advisor"

Former Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in North Canton, OH

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean, bright atmosphere. Discounts on select products, salon, etc. Nice coworkers. Mostly friendly customers. Not a demanding job if you are knowledgable about beauty products and a helpful person.

Cons

Overall I enjoyed the company but had a dishonest and unhelpful store manager.

Advice to Management

The management at my store was great aside from the store manager who was seemingly immature and did not present herself in a mature manner. I believe it was difficult for other managers to progress because of the store manager and her cliquey-ness.

5. "If you have the right team this is an amazing place to work. Friendship support fun and fast paced"

Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always busy, lots of hours, fun for cosmetic lovers, TONS of gratis (freebies), supportive principles. SUPER easy to move up if you are genuinely a driven person.

Cons

not good for people who are frequently ill, can't work quickly, or who are slow paced.

Advice to Management

Support your girls/guys and weed out the negative drama starters, the rest is just learning

6. "Fun but pressure for loyalty"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Fun place to work. You get to see all the last products and learn more about them. Also being able to connect with customers with a mutual appreciation for makeup and beauty. Plus the gratis isn't bad either.

Cons

There's a lot of pressure to get loyalty sign ups and data capture which also affects how often your scheduled if your not in the top you'll only be scheduled 2 or 3 days. This also goes for BCRF donations in October and gift card sales in November/December.

Advice to Management

Realize that sometime associates will have bad loyalty capture days even when they follow all the guidelines

7. "Mostly a great job, some kinks to work out"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a beauty advisor is quite easily, you basically will just be behind the register or on the floor stocking things. Discount is amazing, 25%, and sometimes higher randomly. I stock truck once a week which is awesome, store is closed so we can wear whatever we want and get things done by ourselves Customers are usually really nice and cooperative with the loyalty program, I've only had a handful of annoying customers.

Cons

Some co-workers are mean and catty, I guess because of the majorly female atmosphere. I've had customers tell me how prestige girls are rude to them, and I see a lot of prestige girls just stand around talking while us beauty advisors are constantly ringing and dealing with customers. Hours are really unbalanced at my store, older employees have 15+ hours a week while newer hirers with same availability get 4-8 hours. I was hired seasonal, now permanent, but i'm pretty sure they got rid of other seasonals without any notice (they just removed them from the schedule) which is wrong.

Advice to Management

I don't know if theres much to be done with this but fix the coupons perhaps. Ladies get crazy over there coupons and gifts-with-purchase, maybe make the limitations more clear with signage. Don't push associates too much to meet goals etc. And start scheduling hours evenly.

8. "decent job"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay , FT benefits , 401k, if you're in a good area then great traffic

Cons

getting pulled away from benefit to assist customers for other brands

9. "Fun Place to work!"

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

The women there were so empowering, everyone worked for each other and it was a very positive environment.

Cons

The customers could be insanely rude, however, I think this is just retail. I've worked retail for a while and there's nothing like how bad it was at Ulta.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your ladies and gentlemen who work there!

10. "Fun"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

overall job is fun, there is always something to do! It is nice getting gratis, and being to help customer's out on the floor

Cons

As a Co-manager, I feel very much like a cashier. Spends to much payroll on areas of the store that do not need it

11. "Loved It"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Learning Experience
    Gratis
    Friendly
    Fast Paced
    Engaging & Bright

Cons

Can Be Slow
    Pay